NEurope
Garden Pigeon

Can someone look over these PC component choices

Hey :smile:

So I wanted to start up a little "build my own PC" project to keep me busy, and after hours of research and learning I came up with this setup:

-Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L iG31 Express, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 1066(OC)/ 800 MHz, SATA II, Micro ATX

-Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300, S775, Yorkfield Core, 2.50 GHz, 1333MHz, 4MB Cache, 7.5x Ratio, 95W.

-4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-18.

-500W CIT micro-ATX PSU

-Asus nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 512MB DVI/HDMI (PCI-E)

-1TB Western Digital, SATA 3Gb/s, IntelliPower, 32MB Cache, NCQ.

Sorry about the lack of depth, seems I can't post URL's yet. As far as my very early computer-hardware knowledge is aware, this should work? Is there any problems I should be aware of, or changes to my list?

Thanks a ton, it'll really help :grin:

Edited by Garden Pigeon

Everything looks like it should work together just fine. The only thing O', going t touch on atm is if you want to play games that 9400GT isn't going to be worth a hill of beans. If you just need something that can do all the basic computing and movies and whatnot it'll be fine.

Everything looks like it should work together just fine. The only thing O', going t touch on atm is if you want to play games that 9400GT isn't going to be worth a hill of beans. If you just need something that can do all the basic computing and movies and whatnot it'll be fine.

Ah right. I have this PC in mind for uni, working with giant uncompressed HD video files - so programs like After Effects and Premiere. Would it be good for that or should I still consider upgrading?

Edit: Also, is the PSU okay then? I kinda just took an educated guess with that one, wasn't really sure how much power I'll need or anything.

I really don't know what would be best for After Effects and Premiere, but maybe someone else will pop in and have an idea on that.

The PSU should be fine in terms of power, but I've never heard of the brand. If you don't want to chance it OCZ Antec and Corsair all make good PSUs your current setup I'd say 400W would likely be fine.

OK, so does it not matter if the PSU isn't for mATX motherboards then? I've been looking in a category for mATX ones because of the mobo I'm going to get. I can just get a regular well-known 400w one?

I might go for the 9800GT actually, I think I'd like to be able to play some games on the thing.

Edited by Garden Pigeon

When it comes to choosing a Powersupply you mainly want to make sure that it has at least one strong 12V rail. This is what powers the motherboard, motherboards usually have a long input for 20 or 24 pins (2x10/2x12). As long as your chosen PSU has a plug that will go into the motherboard it's compatible. There will also be other plugs for CPU (either 4 pin or 8 pin, likely 4 in your case) and if you plan on getting something like the 9800GT a 6 pin plug will be needed to power it. Plus there are the miscellaneous extras for HDD and DVD drives and whatnot.

Specifically being mATX should really be an issue at all. A mATX motherboard is really just an ATX board that has a smaller form factor, ATX PSUs are fine.

I would also point you in the direction of the ATi HD5000 series. But I guess it also depends on what OS you decide to go for. But I think Ebuyer do a decent 5000 series for about £120.

Edit: from £107.

Yeah, the ATI cards look quite good, I'm going to spend more time looking into GFX cards. Thanks for all the help, Its reassuring knowing all the stuff I've chosen will work together haha.

I'm going to start buying the stuff now, see you on the other side :)

Ah right. I have this PC in mind for uni, working with giant uncompressed HD video files - so programs like After Effects and Premiere. Would it be good for that or should I still consider upgrading?

Edit: Also, is the PSU okay then? I kinda just took an educated guess with that one, wasn't really sure how much power I'll need or anything.

From what I know if you work with videos a large L2 cache is important, especially if you want to encode them at some point. So you might want to get a Core 2 Quad Q9450 or better instead.