NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

2D Pokemon Beat-em-up... Could it work?

Upon my daily forage on youtube, I stumbled across this:

:o

Im pretty much Poke-starved, and Im craving my next fix. Would this entertain you? I think a 2D beat em up might just go down well.

Edited by King_V

I suppose the only problem with making this game for Wii (or whatever) would be the need to create a massive number of pokemon with their own moves and animations etc. Other than that, it would be extremely awesome :D

A Pokémon version of Smash Bros would be fantastic. The only problem I can think of is that they'd obviously never be able to make it with all 493 Pokémon, so nobody would be completely happy with the roster as there'd always be characters you'd want that didn't make it.

A Pokémon version of Smash Bros would be fantastic. The only problem I can think of is that they'd obviously never be able to make it with all 493 Pokémon, so nobody would be completely happy with the roster as there'd always be characters you'd want that didn't make it.
Original 151 FTW!

The idea of Pokémon only version of Smash is something that's rattled around the heads of most fans of the series I'm sure.

Being able to evolve mid battle and gaining a new set of moves would add a strategic edge that would also be deepened by the amount of evolution stages a creature has.

You could also have stages based around the various Gyms so each level has it's own unique features.

The single player could be pretty much like Pokémon single player already is but you fight in 2D smash style and if certain conditions are met you get to add the defeated creature to your team.

But as for a 2D beat-em-up as shown in the clip, I personally think it's too far removed from what we know Pokémon to be - it suddenly starts to feel a bit serious.

Some really awesome ideas! Jeez, why don't they flipping do something with the franchise!?

I'm poke starved because I don't buy the mystery dungeon, 'pep-for-pep' shit. I want to confidently buy a game where by I am assured that a great idea was behind it.

PS Gengar FTW, that grin gets me all the time. Back in the day my hypnosis-dreameater tactic was king!

I know this. It is Pokésho's Fighting Game. Pokésho is Japanese Pokémon Fans' Web Site.

It was a shortly game, I finished it. 8 playable characters and 8 matches. Also every fighter can call the other pokémons in fight.

I know this. It is Pokésho's Fighting Game. Pokésho is Japanese Pokémon Fans' Web Site.

It was a shortly game, I finished it. 8 playable characters and 8 matches. Also every fighter can call the other pokémons in fight.

hey, you're Nihonjin?

as someone already said the problem would have to be the sheer number of pokemone these days.. of course they could limit it to 50 or something leaving out pokemon like far-fetched but fighting games need a balance and how could you have a balance between charizard vd charmander?

I recall discussing a similar idea with Jamba. Except what we had in mind was a 3D PowerStone-esque fighter (thus, arenas could easily influence the battles).

A 2D fighting game can also easily work, but arena effects wouldn't be as easy to implement.

But either way is fine. I've wished for a Pokemon fighting game since my Red/Blue days, and Super Smash Bros. is all I got. To me, the desire most people around here have to see a 3D MMORPG applies to a fighting game. Honestly, I think it's a better, and fresher direction for the series to take.

Mike's point, while valid, can be overlooked. Super Smash Bros. Brawl has tons of characters, and there are people complaining that their favourite didn't make it. That doesn't stop fans from loving the game, and anxiously awating the next one.

But of course, it's not like they'll do it anytime soon. We have Pokémon Rumble, but it's not exactly what I had in mind.

as someone already said the problem would have to be the sheer number of pokemone these days.. of course they could limit it to 50 or something leaving out pokemon like far-fetched but fighting games need a balance and how could you have a balance between charizard vd charmander?

If they limit it to bipedal Pokémon it'd work better

However, I don't think a fighting game would necessarily work

However, I don't think a fighting game would necessarily work

*huff* I respect your work, I really do, but your kill-joy attitude of "it will not work" can be a real irritable pain.

What do you think WILL work?

Anyway for lolz: Peekachoo, yous dundashuck!!

*huff* I respect your work, I really do, but your kill-joy attitude of "it will not work" can be a real irritable pain.

I agree with him though I don't believe this working.

Too many problems and I don't think the selling point is even there.

I mean are pokemon fans really into beat em ups? You could argue smash bros or powerstone style though..

This is one of those ideas I thought about as a kid. Back in the first generation.

You forget, I'm a complete cynic :p

It just doesn't really fit in right with it. There's too much physical pummelling required which doesn't necessarily fit in with Pokémon

Mhm I've gotta agree with that really. The Pokemon "faint" afterall. Getting suckerpunched to the face won't really fit in with the theme :heh: Besides, who would want to hurt an innocent little Bellossom?

Mhm I've gotta agree with that really. The Pokemon "faint" afterall. Getting suckerpunched to the face won't really fit in with the theme :heh: Besides, who would want to hurt an innocent little Bellossom?

lol...Ah yes, forgot about the freaking 'fainting'. :weep:

Thinking about it better, larger Pokémon (like Steelix or Salamence) would be hard to implement. The PowerStone-esque fighter should still be able to work with that aspect, though.

lol...Ah yes, forgot about the freaking 'fainting'. :weep:

Why should that impede a fighting game from working? Isn't "KO" the same as fainting?

Mhm I've gotta agree with that really. The Pokemon "faint" afterall. Getting suckerpunched to the face won't really fit in with the theme :heh:

Huh?