NEurope
Dante

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West

If it doesn't pop up at E3 it'll give me yet another reason to add to my list of why I fucking hate core gamers who either a) ignore awesome games because they're handheld, or b) pirate all DS games because they don't think they should pay money for them (the most despicable gamers living).

Core gamers certainly annoy me. So many of them moan about Wii games, yet don't go out and buy good games when they come out. They'll buy Mario Galaxy but no one bought Madworld or Okami.

To be fair, most core gamers who really cared would've played Okami on the PS2 and I can understand why Madworld would've put some people off (I own the game, but it is little more than an ultra violent brawler. It's stylish, but that's all it truly has going for it).

The situation really bothers me most with DS, where there are hundreds of good games, but because they're not in some big franchise, or aren't pushing 3D graphics boundaries, they just don't sell, even in Japan.

There are so many awesome titles where the hard work on the developer's part hasn't paid off for them at all and the fact Cing went under and it might cost us this game is just endlessly depressing.

If it doesn't pop up at E3 it'll give me yet another reason to add to my list of why I fucking hate core gamers who either a) ignore awesome games because they're handheld, or b) pirate all DS games because they don't think they should pay money for them (the most despicable gamers living).

Technology is evolving my friend, deal with it.

Since when is something free a bad thing?

(Since it's not supposed to be free, for the money helps people sustain their lifes) Fair enough, but we ought to outgrow that.

Your post has no meaning. There is no defending gaming piracy on any level.

Developers have gone bankrupt because their games have sold poorly, despite the titles being high quality. Game developers aren't necessarily paid much as it is, so it's not exactly great news for anyone who works their ass off to make a cool game, then it doesn't sell and they lose their job.

Are lack of sales due entirely to piracy? No. Does piracy contribute? Certainly.

Often it's the unique or obscure games that take the most hit too, because despite the fact these are games only core gamers would buy, they're also titles where a core gamer is more likely to think "I'll save my money for a bigger game" and be more tempted to pirate something obscure.

Oh and by the way "Ought to outgrow that?" Cool yeah, an ideal world where everything is free and people don't mind working for nothing to make a game either, sure that'd be cool. That's not how things are though, so that means absolutely jack shit.

People who pirate games are lame as fuck, plain and simple. It doesn't matter if a person is just one of millions doing it either, every single person doing it is further encouraging and endorsing the idea to other people by acting like it's fine.

The further the gaming industry progresses too, the more expensive development costs are getting and the more important it is that gamers show support and pay money for titles if they want gaming to continue to evolve.

I love it when people use the term 'ideal world' when there really is no such thing.

Furthermore, I'd say that if I were to make an absolutely stunning game within the compounds of my room, I'd enjoy giving it to as many people as I possibly could instead of selling it, thus hindering more people to experience its awesomeness.

I understand where you're coming from though. We're still living in the old, uncivilized world so it's completely normal for you to look at change for the better as a negative thing. For, in this 'world', people need to support and buy products, so that other people, and an industry as a whole, can grow and prosper.

I just think it's great that, when technology grows, so does the ability to get stuff for free too:)

Granted, I am not a pirate for I'd like to have a whole bookcase full of games one day.

Edited by Fused King

piracy for gaming keeps coming up and it's getting kinda annoying...

It's a lot worse for movies where literally everyone downloads movies online but I don't hear about that that often and movies still make a ton of money..

WHAT developers have to start doing instead of whining look bitches is find a way to MAKE people who like the game and probably have downloaded to buy it..

The pokewalker for instance is a bit of a gimmick but it certainly made a lot of people purchase the game but they wanted the WHOLE experience..

also a lot of people use r4 cards to test a game out. Nintendo's lack of demos is disgraceful... Very few people are going to buy a game based on blind faith. They need to know hat they are getting and demos are the way to go there but nope... barely anything for wii and nothing for ds.

piracy for gaming keeps coming up and it's getting kinda annoying...

It's a lot worse for movies where literally everyone downloads movies online but I don't hear about that that often and movies still make a ton of money..

WHAT developers have to start doing instead of whining look bitches is find a way to MAKE people who like the game and probably have downloaded to buy it..

The pokewalker for instance is a bit of a gimmick but it certainly made a lot of people purchase the game but they wanted the WHOLE experience..

also a lot of people use r4 cards to test a game out. Nintendo's lack of demos is disgraceful... Very few people are going to buy a game based on blind faith. They need to know hat they are getting and demos are the way to go there but nope... barely anything for wii and nothing for ds.

The movie comparison can't be made.

Movies get revenue from both Cinema showings AND potential DVD and blu ray sales, and like even for TV showings I guess. They even get games based on their movies on top of this, which end up selling much better than most original games!

Games get revenue from being sold, that's virtually it. It's not even common for them to have any advertising in the game, where as movies get money from that too.

Despite all these facts, game development is costing increasingly bigger amounts and some games have hollywood sized budgets!

Also bullshit, I bet you'd struggle to find more people who test a game with a pirated copy AND then pay money for it

They need to know hat they are getting and demos are the way to go there but nope... barely anything for wii and nothing for ds.

There are DS demos available, you can download some (temporarily) to the system from one of the Wii channels, I forget its name. They're not common, but they do exist. I admit there should be more though.

I love it when people use the term 'ideal world' when there really is no such thing.

Um right, that was my point, so you just proved me right by saying that. The type of world where game developers can survive and continue to spend countless hours developing games without getting paid for it, or getting paid and the game not selling, doesn't exist. Hence, piracy is a big, shitty problem and anyone endorsing it is equally as shitty.

The movie comparison can't be made.

Movies get revenue from both Cinema showings AND potential DVD and blu ray sales, and like even for TV showings I guess. They even get games based on their movies on top of this, which end up selling much better than most original games!

Games get revenue from being sold, that's virtually it. It's not even common for them to have any advertising in the game, where as movies get money from that too.

Despite all these facts, game development is costing increasingly bigger amounts and some games have hollywood sized budgets!

Also bullshit, I bet you'd struggle to find more people who test a game with a pirated copy AND then pay money for it

There are DS demos available, you can download some (temporarily) to the system from one of the Wii channels, I forget its name. They're not common, but they do exist. I admit there should be more though.

i'm not really trying to justify it. I just think as a problem it's been blown WAY out of porportion. A lot of you are claiming piracy as the problem for the closure of certain studios.. No that's the economic crises.

I'm just comparing it to movies and saying its a far worse problem there and also I'ts probably as worse as it's ever going to be and the movie industry is alive and well. Take movies in the cinema for instance.. The reason avatar doen so well it because to appreciate it full you Had to see it in 3d in the cinema..So people downloading it was no longer a problem.. Games have to start thinking along these lines too. I already gave the example with pokemon and I'm assuming nintendo has thought about this with their plans for 3ds.

I'm NOT justifying piracy but i'm sick it being used as a bullshitty excuse for lack of original games, the closure of studios and the end of the world.

I'm NOT justifying piracy but i'm sick it being used as a bullshitty excuse for lack of original games, the closure of studios

Whether you're sick of it or not, it is a contributing factor to both of these things. I know several people in real life just from the local area who own those stupid R4 cards or whatever for DS. There's probably at least 10's of people in my small town alone with them. It's a pretty widespread problem.

There are probably hundreds of thousands of people out there in the world using them to pirate DS games. If even a few THOUSAND of those were buying the games instead, some more obscure games would probably be selling like 500% more than what they actually sold.

I believe recently Nintendo chalked up piracy to contributing to a huge percentage of revenue loss. I know THEY don't need the money, but if the same goes for other developers, then that's when it's a problem.

There's no justification for piracy whatsoever.

Oh but there is, it's evolution.

Saying that would be saying that there's no justification for using cars that run on solar power, because then the oil industry would collapse.

Same with the fact that if technology allows something to be produced in such high abundance it would become free, we shouldn't take such products for it will cripple another industry.

Feeling the backwardsness?

Whether you're sick of it or not, it is a contributing factor to both of these things. I know several people in real life just from the local area who own those stupid R4 cards or whatever for DS. There's probably at least 10's of people in my small town alone with them. It's a pretty widespread problem.

There are probably hundreds of thousands of people out there in the world using them to pirate DS games. If even a few THOUSAND of those were buying the games instead, some more obscure games would probably be selling like 500% more than what they actually sold.

I believe recently Nintendo chalked up piracy to contributing to a huge percentage of revenue loss. I know THEY don't need the money, but if the same goes for other developers, then that's when it's a problem.

I believe if anything it's helping the industry to change.

how is nintendo going to solve their problem?either by A) punishing the bad guys or B) encourage gamers who pirate to actually buy the games.

Like with movies I hate the way anti-pirate ads are handled. it's fucking stupid calling people criminals. A lot of people own an r4 and are really decent people and are just going to laugh these claims off. People don't respond well to be threatened in my opinion.

So I think companies need to encourage people to actually buy the games and that means win for us too.

lets look at the music industry.. so many people were downloading illegally so a download chart was created and itunes and thus benefited everyone..and so many people were uploading copyright infringing videos onto youtube that this VEVO thin was created and artists are throwing up the videos themselves. Also channel 4 have plans to upload their content onto youtube.

Gaming is going to be forced to change.

just another way to look at things :)

Oh but there is, it's evolution.

Saying that would be saying that there's no justification for using cars that run on solar power, because then the oil industry would collapse.

Same with the fact that if technology allows something to be produced in such high abundance it would become free, we shouldn't take such products for it will cripple another industry.

Feeling the backwardsness?

What? If you take away the game developers we wouldn't have any games to have for free. You're essentially saying certain people should get everything for free while others pay for it. I'm sure you're one of these people that would happily sit at home on benefits just because it's possible to cheat the system.

What I am saying is that people should embrace the fact that certain technology (like the r4) allows games to become free. The downside is that the game industry loses money on this and results in people losing jobs.

Now if only the industry could change to a form in which everyone benefits; both gamers and developers. Wouldn't you much rather see more people playing 'your' game instead of people being hindered by money to play it, thus not experiencing it at all?

Fact is, developers make games for ze money, but most of them have a passion for the industry, so their work is their play. Unfortunately, such a passion cannot come to fruition without getting sucked in to the they buy/we get to sustain our lives-cycle.

Such a sad state we are in:nono:

What? If you take away the game developers we wouldn't have any games to have for free. You're essentially saying certain people should get everything for free while others pay for it. I'm sure you're one of these people that would happily sit at home on benefits just because it's possible to cheat the system.

No, I like to create and do something to help others.

Edited by Fused King

Still no news on this?

Cing filed for bankruptcy on March 1, so no change of Last Window unless Nintendo does something about porting it to the western market.

Anybody have any news on this game?

I enjoyed the 1st game so much!!. I would even say that it's probably my favorite game on DS.

I hope that this game still sees its release

It doesn't look like Nintendo is going to release it all, unfortunately. The 3DS seems to be taking up too much of their time.

I've never heard of this game but am about to look it up to see what the hype is about. The cover of it looks interesting.