NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

'Word Coach' games on PSP?

I'm interested in learning Chinese, just some basics or enough to be comfortable with, because I'm travelling to Hong Kong next year, and I doubt it'll be a Shenmue-like experience where everyone speaks the same language as me perfectly even though I'm white-British ;)

My friend showed me her word coach game for Japanese on her DS and after some research there's conveniently, also one for Chinese. My brother already has a DS and I recently bought a PSP-3000, so before I buy myself this DS game to learn from, I thought it would be worth asking if there are any of these types of games for PSP? Minus the touchscreen, atleast the 3000 has a microphone which the DS game utilizes.

Thanks for any help.

The only Word Coach game I can think of for the PSP is 'Talkman' which is ok. I've got this as I'm learning Japanese.

I think you'll need to get the Asian version of this however because the European version doesn't contain Chinese and even that might not help you because most people in Hong Kong speak Cantonese Chinese and not Mandarin Chinese which is spoken across most of mainland China.

Whatever you get for the DS or PSP will be Mandarin Chinese which might not be so useful in Hong Kong.

This might help in the meantime-

http://www.learncantonese.blogspot.com/

That's wicked Sumo, thanks. As far as I know Mandarin is quite similar to Cantonese, I'll be trying to get basics of both. I'll be using a Word Coach game for Mandarin on DS so I can nail down some punctuation.

I think you'll need to get the Asian version of this however because the European version doesn't contain Chinese

Is there a seperate version for PAL in Chinese or did you mean import it from Asia?

In Hong Kong there's 3 official languages- Cantonese, Mandarin and English but Cantonese is the most widely spoken. It's also quite different from Mandarin both spoken and written.

The European version of Talkman for the PSP contains-

French, UK English, German, Spanish, Italian and Japanese.

The Asian version of Talkman contains-

US English, Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese and Korean.

You would have to import the Asian version if you want to get it. Even though Talkman is quite fun, an old fashioned phrase book is still useful too.

Good luck on your trip to Hong Kong and make sure you travel on the Star Ferry when you get out there!

Sign in to follow this