NEurope
Ryan

Laptop help - possible HDD failure

My Vista laptop won't load Vista. I'm assuming the harddrive has failed since it will only display the loading screen, then eventually go into a 'safe mode' state to recover the data, following those instructions I hit a blue screen saying either try again or load Safe Mode and disable a load of things.

You'll have to excuse my poor description it's all very foreign to me which is why I'm asking for some help. Is there any way to find what is at fault and if it's repairable? If the HDD is in working order, I wouldn't mind selling the whole laptop for spare parts or just ripping it out for my PS3.

At the moment, it will barely make it to the loading screen, I've used a recovery disk which I burned when I first bought it and it has seemed to wipe the entire partition and be restored to the initial factory settings, which makes me wonder if the HDD would still function or not. Either way, I'd like advice whether to sell as a whole for parts at a start bid of 99p or how I can rescue the hard drive for my PS3.

Fire away any questions, or tips. Thanks for any help!

not necessarily a HDD failure, could be graphics or any number of things that have failed... its unlikely that it would even boot into safe mode if the HDD was dead.

I've not tried booting to Safe mode, I used Boot manager to go straight to the recovery DVD when I inserted it and after that it tried to go into the initial start of Vista but holds at the loading screen. The HD light flickers every now and then but there isn't any kind of load crunching noises going on.