NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Raining_again

USB sound card

i've pretty much exhausted every single option known to me with this bloody problem.

I bought a little cheap usb sound card as ive bollocked my onboard sound on my laptop. (cheap and lazy solution, or so I thought)

Plugged it in and vista installed the sound drivers, which it says are the most up to date, but the sound is incredibly loud. On the lowest volume its just about ready to rip my eardrums out!! >_<

Any suggestions?

You don't give any details, but if you haven't tried already, lower the volume everywhere possible. That means, your speakers, the sound mixer of Vista, your soundcard probably has a mixer of its own, check the system tray, and there may even be a volume knob on the soundcard itself, mine had one anyway.

You don't give any details, but if you haven't tried already, lower the volume everywhere possible. That means, your speakers, the sound mixer of Vista, your soundcard probably has a mixer of its own, check the system tray, and there may even be a volume knob on the soundcard itself, mine had one anyway.

I've gone through all the basic settings, checked the hardware settings, tried to update the driver (and there aren't any on t'internet either) it is a set of headphones i'm using so there isn't any manual volume control on them.

its a driverless thing and relies on a basic USB sound driver.

The power output of the soundcard must be too powerful for the headphones. You'll need to buy an in-line volume control thingy;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=pd_lpo_ix_dp_am_us_uk_en_headphone.020volume.020control.020attachment_gl_electronics?keywords=headphone%20volume%20control%20attachment&tag=lpo_ixdpamusukenheadphone.020volume.020control.020attachmentgl_electronics-21&index=blended

Or if you're handy with a soldering iron just solder a potentiometer into the headphone cord, does the same trick and costs about 20p.

The power output of the soundcard must be too powerful for the headphones. You'll need to buy an in-line volume control thingy;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=pd_lpo_ix_dp_am_us_uk_en_headphone.020volume.020control.020attachment_gl_electronics?keywords=headphone%20volume%20control%20attachment&tag=lpo_ixdpamusukenheadphone.020volume.020control.020attachmentgl_electronics-21&index=blended

Or if you're handy with a soldering iron just solder a potentiometer into the headphone cord, does the same trick and costs about 20p.

Ah McPhee you brilliant person! :heart:

I don't think I'm confident enough with soldering to risk taking apart my £60 sennheisers ^^;

Sign in to follow this