NEurope
Gizmo

Buying a Laptop

Well Dell have fixed the OS problem, so I'm gonna go ahead and order this later. Last thing I'm wondering about: Network cards.

Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g) European add £0.00

Dell Wireless 1510 Half Mini Card (802.11n) European add £0.00

Intel Pro Wireless WI-FI 5100 (802.11a/g/Draft-n) MiniCard European [included in Price]

Intel WiFi Link 5300 Half Mini Card (802.11 a/g/n) European [add £20.00]

I don't really know much about these. Is it worth the extra £20 to get one that is N-compatible, as opposed to draft n? Is the second one better, will that work with older routers that aren't n?

Well Dell have fixed the OS problem, so I'm gonna go ahead and order this later. Last thing I'm wondering about: Network cards.

Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g) European add £0.00

Dell Wireless 1510 Half Mini Card (802.11n) European add £0.00

Intel Pro Wireless WI-FI 5100 (802.11a/g/Draft-n) MiniCard European [included in Price]

Intel WiFi Link 5300 Half Mini Card (802.11 a/g/n) European [add £20.00]

I don't really know much about these. Is it worth the extra £20 to get one that is N-compatible, as opposed to draft n? Is the second one better, will that work with older routers that aren't n?

I think draft n is the same as n, but released before n became official. N appears to have been released in October, but it's definitely been around for longer than that.

Pyxis is correct about N/Draft N. N will only work if you have a wireless signal that is broadcasting in N though. I'm not sure about the market penetration of N though, I do know that g is very common on most routers.

a while back I was seriously considering a MacBook but after many discussions on here and some deep thought I decided against it down to compatibility issues.

Yesterday I was just searching through PC World and seen this laptop:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0993929291.1259348670@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceeadeimehfgmecflgceggdhhmdfnn.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=538420&category_oid=-36730

what do people think? any good? or any other recommendations? I ideally want a mobile laptop that is reasonable price and kind of mid range spec...not really a gamer but do run programs like Autodesk Inventor and Photoshop. Thanks to anyone.

Sorry PeeJ, but I can't recommend that laptop. It has a weak processor compared to other laptops of similar and lower price brackets. Graphics are poor, but likely manageable for Autodesk, and Photoshop, at least to an extent.

Check this one out. Same price but specs wise much better, mid-range graphics and CPU. The only thing is many on here will cite poor experiences with Acer laptops, while on the other hand Toshiba is a relatively good brand.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/355752 That one might suit you better. Lower price better CPU and (slightly) better Integrated Graphics.

thanks leetpants.

Generally I am trying to go for a laptop around the 13.3" size as my current one is 15.6" and I really want something smaller and has exceptional battery life.

This is my current model:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2008/10/30/Medion-Akoya-S5610-15-4in-Notebook-PC/p1

I would be looking for a laptop which is slightly better but smaller and better battery. Or would you recommend just upgrading to Windows 7 and sticking with what I have?

Hmm, yeah I didn't notice till after I posted that you selected an ultra-portable my bad.

Honestly though, if you can stick with what you have it's better than the Toshiba you selected. It's quite a bit better in the GPU and the CPU to be honest. Which is likely why it has lower battery life. Perhaps you could look into getting a 9 or 12 cell battery which will provide longer life (but will be physically larger and stick our of the laptop). It's kinda hard to find something at the 13.3 size that is going to be better in anything other than battery life for any reasonable price.

I don't know how much Windows 7 will help, I don't have it yet (and I'm usually plugged in).

How about the DDR 2/DDR 3 factor for a user of Adobe programs?

If you're talking about that laptop you posted earlier, it's irrelevant since the CPU is single core. Any speed offered by DDR3 would be lost to that, honestly a good Dual Core with DDR2 will be better.

It also depends on actual speed of the RAM, 1066DDR2 would be faster than 1066DDR3 because DDR2 has lower latencies. However DDR3 can go upto 1800 and above for speeds negating the latency. That mainly applies to desktops though. Not many Laptops have DDR3 and I think they only have 1066 or 1333, of course DDR2 is commonly 667 and 800 instead of 1066 on a laptop.

Basically, to take advantage of DDR3 over DDR2 you'd need a good CPU that will benefit from the extra bandwidth, and that generally means an expensive laptop.

Thank you, brilliant advice.

I don't know what the beef is with Acers. Mine now has an ultra weak battery, five minutes at the most, average sound volume and missing rubber stops through wear & tear. Still running at a satisfactory level though. I am open to other brands however.

Another Acer I am tempted by :D

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167396

actually no, its not core 2 duo

Zoostorm? Great value mind;

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179596/show_product_overview

Edited by uncle_buckman
I've seen the light

I've never heard of Zoostorm, I don't think it's a US brand so I can't speak on them. Specs wise it's not bad though.

ASUS with a good AMD CPU (not a core 2 duo but good nonetheless) and a mid-range ATI GPU. ASUS is an okay brand and for the price this is quite nice.

Acer, Same price as the ASUS but with a better CPU but only ATI integrated graphics. Still better than Intel graphics which are something to be avoided if possible. Still not a Core 2 Duo.

I was only looking at laptops below 400, nearly all of the Core 2 Duo's are above that and most use Intel graphics as well.

ok...now looking at a new angle for my current problems with my laptop...I feel it is on the big side for uni and thats my reason for looking ultra mobile. Would I be better going for a netbook? How about this?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1327109540.1259516691@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceiadeimhjgjgjcflgceggdhhmdfog.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=641083&category_oid=

Would it run things like Photoshop or Inventor? Thank you

I'm sure a netbook could run photoshop and inventor, but a ultra-portable would probably be better. They would give a slightly higher resolution which is a definite plus when you have limited workspace.

Knowing more of what you want, I'm going to eat my words and say that the Toshiba you originally linked to in this thread would suit you well.

I never expected you to go back on your words leetpants :p

Basically this is what I am looking for from a laptop:

Surf the web, watch occasional video, my music, the heaviest program would be Photoshop or Inventor and also possibly play the Sims on it.

That is in general what I would want from a laptop, something mobile and long battery as well to help with uni etc. My current laptop I can get about 2 and half hours from if I am lucky and is also on the large side.

Overall would you recommend just sticking with my laptop, the toshiba or possibly a netbook? Thanks again leetpants.

Surf the web, watch occasional video, my music, the heaviest program would be Photoshop or Inventor and also possibly play the Sims on it.

That is in general what I would want from a laptop, something mobile and long battery as well to help with uni etc. My current laptop I can get about 2 and half hours from if I am lucky and is also on the large side.

Overall would you recommend just sticking with my laptop, the toshiba or possibly a netbook? Thanks again leetpants.

to be completely honest, the processors on most netbooks are a bit pish for anything more than the basic stuff. And they are nearly all stuck with integrated graphics.

I know for sure ts2/ts3 (your a fan?! High five!) will need more than a basic processor and integrated graphics. (full expansion packed ts2 can on rare occasions struggle on my 17 inch laptop with graphics support and decent processor)

and the workspace is VERY limited at 1024x600 for my sunsung NC10.

By the sounds of my netbook bashing you'd think that I hated them*, they just aren't appropriate for everything.

*I fucking love my netbook :love:

Ok I ordered this one;

Ebuyer Extra Value Laptop, Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 15.4 TFT, DVDRW, Webcam, 6 Cell, NO OS

http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?t=51208

I did have a look at the ones you mentioned but I wasn't sure whether the AMD's would be faster than the Core 2 Duo i'm currently using.

Here is a youtube review of a older model of my brand new laptop;

If you can manage I'd say stick with what you have. If you really want/need something smaller I'd say the Toshiba. I don't think you'd be really happy using Photoshop and Inventor on a netbook. They just have limitations to that kind of software.

Ok I ordered this one;

Ebuyer Extra Value Laptop, Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 15.4 TFT, DVDRW, Webcam, 6 Cell, NO OS

http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?t=51208

I did have a look at the ones you mentioned but I wasn't sure whether the AMD's would be faster than the Core 2 Duo i'm currently using.

Here is a youtube review of a older model of my brand new laptop;

Coolio, hope you're happy with it. You do have an OS to install right?

I was going to get a student to buy me a £30 copy of windows 7 64-bit from Microsoft but I later found out they sell upgrade only not full versions.

There is Unbuntu but I'm new to linux.

Swindled versions maybe? :santa:

EDIT:

My apparent know it all friend claims that I will have trouble running 3D render programs such as Rhino 3D, Solidworks, 3DS Max on the new laptop. What do you guys think?

I'm seriously returning the laptop for this one when it arrives;

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/11439702/Acer-Aspire-5738-Core-2-Duo-T6400-2GHz-4GB-500GB-DVD-SM-15-6-Vista-Home-Premium-Laptop-Notebook/Product.html?source=1100914091&cm_mmc=Silverpop-_-R2_wk48%20R2%20Monday%20Madness%202009-11-30%20Nov%20Vol%209-_-D-_-PC_PROD_1&utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=R2%202009-11-30%20November%20Vol%209%20Monday%20Madness%20(1)&utm_content=

Edited by uncle_buckman

I was going to get a student to buy me a £30 copy of windows 7 64-bit from Microsoft but I later found out they sell upgrade only not full versions.

There is Unbuntu but I'm new to linux.

Swindled versions maybe? :santa:

EDIT:

My apparent know it all friend claims that I will have trouble running 3D render programs such as Rhino 3D, Solidworks, 3DS Max on the new laptop. What do you guys think?

I'm seriously returning the laptop for this one when it arrives;

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/11439702/Acer-Aspire-5738-Core-2-Duo-T6400-2GHz-4GB-500GB-DVD-SM-15-6-Vista-Home-Premium-Laptop-Notebook/Product.html?source=1100914091&cm_mmc=Silverpop-_-R2_wk48%20R2%20Monday%20Madness%202009-11-30%20Nov%20Vol%209-_-D-_-PC_PROD_1&utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=R2%202009-11-30%20November%20Vol%209%20Monday%20Madness%20(1)&utm_content=

I'm inclined to agree with your friend. That ebuyer laptop is almost the same according to ebuyer, but according to Intel the GL40 chipset uses Celeron model CPUs and not Core 2 Duo like Ebuyer has listed. Graphically they are about the same though.

I really got to stop looking at laptops :P

what do people think of this?

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/598038/ACER-FO200-312G25N/tab/specification

I somehow quite like it and feel you get a lot for your money, whats peoples opinions?

They don't really list a whole lot of info...They don't list the resolution among other things generally listed. I also remembered (after seeing them put tbc in the category) how badly do you need a CD/DVD drive? Most Netbooks do not have one. You can get external drives, but that would be an additional purchase and piece of hardware to lug around.

I vote the Toshiba from before.

here is more info on the specs of the netbook

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/12425381/Acer-Ferrari-One-AMD-Athlon-X2-L310-1-2GHz-2GB-250GB-11-6-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Netbook/Product.html

CD/DVD drive is not something I would miss as it is barely used and I have a spare external one. So far all the laptops I have looked at do not include a optical drive though, possibly reason for the thin nature of the laptops.