NEurope
Josh64

Nerves

Does anyone suffer badly from nerves? If so, how do you help prevent them.

I am quite a nervous person, mainly because i'm overly paranoid. For example, when im walking to college by myself, I must have my mp3 on, if I don't I feel so edgy. It's a comfort thing really, knowing that if for some reason a random person tried talking to me I could pretend I haven't heard/ noticed them. It also takes my mind off the fact there are lots of people around me.

Another bad aspect of my nervousness is that I tend to block people out and I dont notice anyone. Like I said with the MP3 thing, I block out everything with music and generally look around people. My friends have to like physically tap me or something to get my attention :P

Meeting people for the first time is also a weird one, I just feel incredibly self concious. I will introduce myself and stuff and for some reason I can be over the top, almost to hide the fact i'm so edgy.

So what about you guys, what makes you nervous and how do you tackle it?

I get nervous over things that I'm not really afraid of/aren't scary or whatever, but that are new. I think.

I'm having my first proper driving lesson (not my test or anything) tomorrow, and I'm nervous about that. Despite it presumably being the one where you're meant to learn how to drive for the first time, and I'll have some advantage of already having driven around in my car a few times already.

I recommend throwing yourself in the deep end. Join a beginners dancing lesson and force yourself to dance with people you don't know. You don't really have to talk to them, because your concentrating on the dancing.

Taking a deep breath and trying to grow a pair seems to work for me occasionally.

I have high anxiety at times.

This is great.

BachRescueRemedy10ml.jpg

I used this for my driving test. I don't reckon it actually does anything, but the placebo effect maybe helped. It's just flower extracts as far as I'm aware.

I do get quite nervous, but I've had an interesting 7 years and if it's taught me anything, it's that it's usually not as bad as you expect it to be. So now sometimes I can take solace in the knowledge that I'm just working myself up and there's nothing really to be worried about.

Does anyone suffer badly from nerves? If so, how do you help prevent them.

I am quite a nervous person, mainly because i'm overly paranoid. For example, when im walking to college by myself, I must have my mp3 on, if I don't I feel so edgy. It's a comfort thing really, knowing that if for some reason a random person tried talking to me I could pretend I haven't heard/ noticed them. It also takes my mind off the fact there are lots of people around me.

Another bad aspect of my nervousness is that I tend to block people out and I dont notice anyone. Like I said with the MP3 thing, I block out everything with music and generally look around people. My friends have to like physically tap me or something to get my attention :P

Meeting people for the first time is also a weird one, I just feel incredibly self concious. I will introduce myself and stuff and for some reason I can be over the top, almost to hide the fact i'm so edgy.

So what about you guys, what makes you nervous and how do you tackle it?

I'm exactly the same except for meeting people for the first time.

I'm normally nervous which I can't help and lately I've been having these weird things where I start shaking for like a second and then it ends. This happens for ten minutes but lately I haven't had them.

The thing that calms me down is my MP3 player, I have to have it when I go out because, for some reason, it makes me feel uncomfortable, lol. It's broken now so I'm a little upset about that.

When I meet people for the first time, I'm OK. When I meet girls, I'm a bit more nervous but I'm still OK.

I'd advice thinking to yourself: It could be much worse. Can work for me sometimes.

I used this for my driving test. I don't reckon it actually does anything, but the placebo effect maybe helped. It's just flower extracts as far as I'm aware.

Yeah, it's not for nerves, it's for anxiety.

I'm not really ever nervous, I get anxious because apparently I think too much.

I'd say you should try not to get into a pattern of relying on aids like MP3 players. Just go without for a while, if only to prove to yourself that it is possible. I get nervous all the time but luckily when I'm nervous I talk, and I do stuff.

I prefer imperfect people. I prefer the sorts of people who don't say a witticism, or a perfect piece of wisdom, or high hilarity each time they speak. Remembering that I am human, as is everyone else, and that with this comes a very large well of forgiveness, I tend to not get nervous too much.

But that also means I tend to suck a lot, due to not having the pressure to perform as excellence embodied.

I tend to get really nervous before pre-arranged public speaking or exams. Fortunately it seems to get the adrenaline pumping and I think it makes me perform better in both of these things. I remember this so although the nerves, or rather butterflies in my stomach, are still there the next time I know that it'll work out alright in the end.

I'm extremely nervous about talking to anyone I don't know. I haven't really done anything about it, either. So I just don't talk to many people.

I can be nervous about new things, especially meeting new people. I also get nervous when I have to perform or accomplish something like a test or an exam. The thing is, like with Odwin, I think it helps me perform better. Still, I'm always pretty well prepared and feel secure about my material. I've been to one exam where I wasn't too sure about my stuff in advance, and I physically felt ill before the exam. I normally only shake and sweat, not get queasy.

Taking a deep breath and trying to grow a pair seems to work for me occasionally.

True "dat".

I just employ my amazing talent [which is active 90% of the day] of not giving a shit.

I'd say you should try not to get into a pattern of relying on aids like MP3 players. Just go without for a while, if only to prove to yourself that it is possible.

Exactly.

I'm not really one to talk as I'm useless with people, but even I can see that it's certainly in part due to the 21st century living and the things we have at our disposal to avoid communicating with people.

If you don't want to come up to you, you can have you headphones in or fiddle with your phone, with your head down avoiding eye contact, and try to look like you're doing something important, use a portable games device, etc.

Have to speak to some but rather wouldn't - then you send them a text or an email.

Your nerves may have prompted you to behave in a certain way originally, but now, modern life is providing the necessary tools to make you stay that way.

Diazipam!!

That shit is immense, its like knowing that you are stressed/in pain/whatever but not being able to care at all!

Doctors will give a one off dose to people that are perhaps flying and have major stress issues with it. But they tend not to like giving it out willy nilly anymore... It's very addictive.

The most stressed day of my life was my first driving test! I was crying half way through, it was succch a disaster!

i was nervous alot when younger, but i dort of grew out of it.

around new people i just be myself, i dont really care if people dont like me so i see no need for nerves. thing is, people tend to like me so its usualy all good!

i did get nervous when i started driving lessons, but then i guess thats natural. with practice ive become more confident

i do get edgy walking past groups of people at night, but again, i think thats natural, if they start any trouble im ready, fight or flight type of thing.

nerves are natural, but dont let them controle you. just take a chance every day, see how it goes.

mind you, i have a date on sunday, so we shall see how nerves do then!

I used to suffer from nerves a lot when I was younger, but I can control it pretty easily now. Things that used to bother me like walking past large groups of kids aren't a problem anymore, I just prepare to beat the shit out of as many as I can if they even look at me the wrong way. Things like Driving tests, I just remind myself there are a lot more serious issues and problems in the world than me passing a 30 minute test in a car. Seemed to work as I passed first time.

For some reason, reading this thread has made me feel all nervous.

Normally I'm not nervous at all. Apart from obvious things that would make you nervous - exams etc.

For some reason, reading this thread has made me feel all nervous.

I was just think that too.

I'm sure other people have said this, but, I think it's probably anxiety more than nerves as such.

You may just want to pop to the doctors and speak to them about this.

They might get you in at some sort of mental health clinic.

I know all that sounds drastic for "nerves".

But it's not a huge deal.

Trust me my friend, I would never lead you astray.