NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Stocka

PC won't shut down properly

Argh, so when I go to click 'Shut Down' or 'Restart' it logs off my area, then when it gets to the bit where it says 'Saving your settings' it just freezes like that and nothing happens(for hours and hours). So everytime I turn my PC off now it has to be by the mains :nono:

Help please!

That really is hateful when that happens! Id try a full spware scan & virus scan as Ramar said. Does it do this on all profiles or just yours?

If all else fails i find a reformat would work well, but that solves almost anything :heh:

edit - is your C drive very full, i found this was a problem for me shutting down, try goin to C:/ drive and then Tools and do the Disk check & defrag.

If all else fails i find a reformat would work well, but that solves almost anything :heh:

Bah, thats the first thing everyone around here says!

*puts work hat on*

There could be a number of reasons for this, obviously the first is the anti-virus/malware checks. I use these, ususally does the trick:

Adaware

SpyBot Search and Destroy

Trojan Hunter (my favourite)

There is another, I cant remember, I'll check when I get to work tomorrow. Obviously make sure they are bang upto date and do a full scan, if it gives you the option of a scan after reboot, do that too.

Next, have made any changes to settings lately, doesnt matter how trivial they are, could be the smallest thing is conflicting somewhere.

Next, have you installed or removed anything recently? Sounds to me like the computer is having a problem ending a particular process, this is common if you have uninstalled something which the process is looking for, as it obviously cant find it.

Finally, have you made any hardware changes, plugged anything in, or unplugged anything, maybe a webcam/mouse/keyboard, or whatever?

Let me the answers to that lot then I'll have a go at sorting out a solution for ya!

Bah, thats the first thing everyone around here says!

Well it works you cant deny that :heh:

i meant it as a last resort.

Sign in to follow this