NEurope
Pit-Jr

Demon's Souls

So ive had this in my possession for a few days but work has prevented me from getting to play it, until later today.

Anyone else have this or plan on getting it? Im interested in the online component, watching replays of people on your friends list getting slaughtered sounds nifty

I will eventually. Eventually being the key word with most good games coming out late this year and early next year, because bar the very top titles I really don't know what games warrant a purchase above the next.

I want to get it but I think for anger management's sake, I won't.

I want to get it but I think for anger management's sake, I won't.

You don't get angry at it, you just get depressed :heh:

True that.

I enjoyed what I played of it, but just couldn't be arsed to slog through the rest.

Trust me, I'd get angry. You should see me when I try and update my iPod. I can only do it when the house is empty because rage becomes me.

Trust me, I'd get angry. You should see me when I try and update my iPod. I can only do it when the house is empty because rage becomes me.

875694-nerd_rage_super.jpg

Its definately a departure from the hand-holding games im used to this generation. My spandex-wearing barbarian has made almost no progress 2 hours in

I've got the Deluxe edition on the way to me. *plays with fingers*

Got it today! It's all very compact!

I'll be playing this later, but i have a interview at Gamestation first...Perhaps playing a game which is most probably gonna annoy the hell out of me isn't a good idea before a interview. :D

So why's this game annoy people? Is it just insanely hard?

For me, its the Soul system in the game. It acts as both your currency and experience. When you die , you lose all of it and you wont get it back unless you make it back to the spot where you died previously and examine your blood stain. If you die again before that (and you likely will) , you are shit outta luck. I probably should have read the manual first.....

Just read IGN's review. Sounds bollocks to me :) I simply do not have the time or patience for a game like this anymore!!

It's one of those games though, that when you overcome the odds, the immense satisfaction that wafts over you is so rewarding.

Oh I can see that. But I just have the time or patience for stuff like that. It was the line that says "The game only truly starts on your second play through." Not. Interested.

It's one of those games though, that when you overcome the odds, the immense satisfaction that wafts over you is so rewarding.

Its true, after several days with this game, ive only just now found and slayed the first boss and it really does feel like an accomplishment. Suddenly those bronze trophies dont feel like hand-outs anymore

Can someone explain the gameplay in this to me? Is it Oblivion-esque combat type stuff, or what?

I hadn't really heard of this until a couple of days ago and suddenly keep seeing mention of it all over the place.

Can someone explain the gameplay in this to me? Is it Oblivion-esque combat type stuff, or what?

I hadn't really heard of this until a couple of days ago and suddenly keep seeing mention of it all over the place.

Ive never played Oblivion but the combat is vaguely similar to 3D Zelda. You can lock on to a single enemy, hop back, dodge, parry, block with a shield, jab with a shield, and do critical strikes from behind. You can also snipe from a distance with bows or magic

Enemies can perform most of these moves too though, which makes for some very entertaining and tactical battles.

At the same time as this has caught my attention, so has Dragon Age:Origins. They look virtually identical to me? Maybe minus Demon's Souls steep difficulty?

At the same time as this has caught my attention, so has Dragon Age:Origins. They look virtually identical to me? Maybe minus Demon's Souls steep difficulty?

Get that if I was you...

I think I am going to, from what I've seen. This is import only for now anyway right? Makes it a bit more risky, if the difficulty or whatever turns me off theres not much chance of a return!

Incidentally, wrong thread and all that but: why is Dragon Age coming out this week on 360, and in 3 weeks on PS3? Added extras, or just more time needed to work out the PS3's obtuse architecture?

Incidentally, wrong thread and all that but: why is Dragon Age coming out this week on 360, and in 3 weeks on PS3? Added extras, or just more time needed to work out the PS3's obtuse architecture?

Optimisation, most likely. A few months back the 360 version was supposed to be in very rough shape and that's a machine they've worked on before, so...

Anyway, Demon's Souls is a very different beast to Dragon Age. The latter's a traditional CRPG that's heavy on the lore and features a "real-time with pause" combat system that has you issuing commands to different party members. Souls is more of a modern take on the Roguelike, a game that plays out entirely in real-time where progress is constantly auto-saved, you control a single character and death isn't just about restarting at a checkpoint.

Demon's Souls isn't about the story or picking options on a dialogue tree, it's about working your way towards a boss whilst actually being in danger. In many ways it's one of the scariest games I've played in years, not because it's hard or unfair, simply because it offers you no respite. If you screw up the game makes you feel it, but it's the consequences for your mistakes that make the game: when you overcome challenges in this game it isn't because you simply kept reloading the last checkpoint and banged your head against a wall of attrition, it's because you paid attention, knew what you were doing and got the job done. It's not for everyone by a long shot, but if you're willing to play by its rules — in a time where every other game wants to say you can do no wrong — it offers a sense of accomplishment and victory that few games can match.

ok, im looking to buy this, but play asia wont ship it.

any were else i can use? i cant be bothered to look myself.

Ive been chipping away at this game for what seems like an eternity and taken out 12 of the 16 bosses.

If you play online, one of the bosses is controlled by a human opponent, which i thought was an awesome touch and needs to be used more often. Theres also a nasty level that i couldnt handle on my own , so i summoned 2 other human players to help me through it. Cheap but effective!

I havent played a game this tense and tactical since, well ever. Highly recommended if you dont want a game you can blow through in 2 or 3 sittings