NEurope

You won't really see a noticeable improvement for a good while yet. 2 weeks is a good start but it'll probably be more like 12 weeks/3 or so months before you start to see anything hugely different.

To improve your wrists, check out this site:

For Wrist Fun

I've recently moved due to my new job, so I hadn't been gymming eet up since August, before the meet. And even then, I had a few weeks where I wasn't doing it because of my job. So, I've settled in and found myself a new gym.

Loving it at the moment. I was given some free maximuscle protein stuff for joining up, so I've been using that. It seems to be helping me recover quite substantially, because I don't feel it as much the next day. I have also been upping my protein intake, trying to improve on the dietry aspect of things.

I feel better in myself since I've been going, but I know it'll be a while before I'm truely into my flow again.

That'll improve your wrist's strength but you cn't do anything about the size.

I'm shaking off a bit of a cold. Went to gym Monday, Tuesday, was ill Wednesday and went in a did only shoulders today. On Sunday I'm going climbing for the first time, which will be interesting. Shouldn't be too hard having done all the parkour. Haven't been to parkour for a few weeks because of an ankle injury and the aforementioned cold. I'll be going next week a couple times.

I bought one of these for home,

jml-iron-gym-total-upper-body-workout-bar1.jpg

I love it. Just jam it in any doorway, no screws, and you're good to go.

That'll improve your wrist's strength but you cn't do anything about the size.

I'm shaking off a bit of a cold. Went to gym Monday, Tuesday, was ill Wednesday and went in a did only shoulders today. On Sunday I'm going climbing for the first time, which will be interesting. Shouldn't be too hard having done all the parkour. Haven't been to parkour for a few weeks because of an ankle injury and the aforementioned cold. I'll be going next week a couple times.

I bought one of these for home,

jml-iron-gym-total-upper-body-workout-bar1.jpg

I love it. Just jam it in any doorway, no screws, and you're good to go.

They're good exercises for your wrist, but yeah, not all that much you can do about the size. You can tackle the forearms and the upper arms, which will help the overall appearance of your arms.

Question for you Daft, you mentioned a place before where you bought your protein from. Where did you get it from? Also, how much was it, as I remember thinking it was quite cheap? I used to get some body fortress stuff from Holland and Barrett but the particular one I wanted isn't being stocked anymore as far as I know.

Also, that looks absolutely amazing! I want to get one. Does it literally just clamp itself into the doorway? Is that all?!

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Yeah, where is cheap for protein? I've only looked in Boots and Tesco, and neither time did I have enough money to spare (/I couldn't find any in Tesco).

They're good exercises for your wrist, but yeah, not all that much you can do about the size. You can tackle the forearms and the upper arms, which will help the overall appearance of your arms.

Question for you Daft, you mentioned a place before where you bought your protein from. Where did you get it from? Also, how much was it, as I remember thinking it was quite cheap? I used to get some body fortress stuff from Holland and Barrett but the particular one I wanted isn't being stocked anymore as far as I know.

Also, that looks absolutely amazing! I want to get one. Does it literally just clamp itself into the doorway? Is that all?!

I haven't bought any recently. I used to buy it from MyProtein.com

I think I probably have to start buying some again. It's a good website, it's got reviews and all. From what I've read around the web it's the best place to get protein from. I heard H&B wasn't great so I avoided. How did you find it?

It doesn't clamp itself so much as just uses your weight to push against the frame and support it. It's really good and damn cheap. I bought it for just under £10 but it's only a couple pounds more now. It's bloody excellent.

Edit: Also, use my reference code if you do order from them. :p

MP175443

Edited by Daft

I haven't bought any recently. I used to buy it from MyProtein.com

I think I probably have to start buying some again. It's a good website, it's got reviews and all. From what I've read around the web it's the best place to get protein from. I heard H&B wasn't great so I avoided. How did you find it?

It doesn't clamp itself so much as just uses your weight to push against the frame and support it. It's really good and damn cheap. I bought it for just under £10 but it's only a couple pounds more now. It's bloody excellent.

This seems to be pretty good: Impact Whey Protein

H&B was ok. The protein was reasonably cheap but I don't think I got anything amazing out of the stuff that I used. I don't know whether that was down to my diet or the protein itself, but it didn't seem to make a huge difference.

Ah, I see. I'm really tempted to get one, as I want to really improve my pull-ups/chin-ups.

I recommend the Hurrican Evo. It's a bit more expensive but it's much much better imo, no point wasting time.

All the flavours are rank. Just neck them.

Flavour wise I tend to go for strawberry stuff. But, with this sorta stuff, you're not usually drinking it for the taste but for "the gains", so the taste isn't a huge issue to me.

I looked at the evo but then I saw a few comments saying that the Hurricane XS was better? It's really a toss up between all three. At the moment I've still got the maximuscle stuff but that stuff is really overpriced.

Also Chair, Daft is right, it does work out quite nicely to get some protein shakes/powders. Otherwise you can be spending quite a bit on food-shopping.

Hurricane Evo

Per 60g:

Energy 908.0kJ

Energy 217.0Kcal

Protein (as-is) 34.6g

Carbohydrates 14.4g of which sugars 1.8g of which polyols 0.0g

Fat 2.3g of which saturates 0.8g

Dietary Fibre 2.2g

Sodium 0.0g

Hurricane XS

Per 70g:

Energy: 901.8kJ

Energy: 219.3cal

Protein (as-is): 29.6g

Carbohydrates: 20.3g

Fat: 2.5g

XS is definitely more weight gain but there's very little between them...I think...maybe...God knows. :p I avoided XS because I scoff enough food as it is.

The Evo seems to be a fair bit higher in protein, which is what I'm after. I think I'll go with that once my current lot finishes.

Cheers for that. Really helpful.

No problemo. I'm thinking, I might be wrong, that the Evo would be slightly better for recover which I really need because I gym four times a week (and am generally worn down by the Friday session) and do football or parkour and I suspect now climbing an added two or three times a week.

Also, I'd rather control my carb input through foooooood!!

No problemo. I'm thinking, I might be wrong, that the Evo would be slightly better for recover which I really need because I gym four times a week (and am generally worn down by the Friday session) and do football or parkour and I suspect now climbing an added two or three times a week.

Also, I'd rather control my carb input through foooooood!!

That's pretty much what I'm after. Something with a good protein intake, good for recovery but easy on the carbs. Like you, I want to control carbs through food.

The BodyFortress stuff I had from H&B in hindsight doesn't actually seem to be great with recovery. I do notice a difference between that and my current protein stuff.

Sweet. I never got MaxiMuscle. It's a bit too expensive and I read around that MyProtein was just as good. Glad we had this gym banter, I finally got round to ordering some.

Sweet. I never got MaxiMuscle. It's a bit too expensive and I read around that MyProtein was just as good. Glad we had this gym banter, I finally got round to ordering some.

For what it is, MaxiMuscle is far too expensive. Its probably about a tenner more than it needs to be. Its good stuff, but expensive.

Anyway, I'm off to Belgium tomorrow so I'll be out of gym action for a week. Just when I was getting into it!

I wanna go now. :(

Enjoy your protein!

So basically I've made a pact with myself to become beautiful. I've totally changed my eating, sleeping and exercise routine over the past 2 weeks, in an attempt to become "buff".

Basically, I was very thin. Especially so over the past summer, where I was so bored that I did nothing, slept little and ate little, and was depressed. Went to the doctor (about something unrelated), and he was just like "this is really unhealthy", not sure what my BMI is, but at the time I was just under 9 stone, which is underweight for my height (6 foot).

So been taking practical steps to become more healthy, which in turn has helped with my mental state.

Been trying to get more sleep (this has been failing, I'm officially addicted to the internet / going out :p).

As for diet, I've been having peanuts and bran flakes for breakfast every day. Peanuts because they are high in protein and "good" fat; bran flakes because they're really fibrous, which is good for my digestive system (which I originally went to the doctor about). Then I've been eating 2/3/4 other meals every day, choosing things which are particularly "meaty" (need protein, and can't afford protein shake - HEINOUSLY expensive!!). Appetite has massively increased, because I find thinking/spending time in the library genuinely strenuous, and I'm doing that whenever I'm not walking/cycling/dancing/gyming.

Every second day I've been going to the sports centre. It's quite far away (2.3 miles google maps tells), so I cycle there (good warm-up). I go swimming first -- I do 4 lengths (of a 25m pool) of breast stroke, then 2 lengths of front crawl, then repeat. I find breast stroke feels better on my arms/chest (as though I'm actually doing something vaguely worthwhile), and front crawl makes me more tired (probably my shoddy technique tbf).

Then I go to the gym, and do weights. Standard stuff, focusing solely on upper body (don't really give that much of a shit about legs - they should come automatically with cycling). Try to do less of more (if that makes sense, heavier weights) because I'm led to believe that increases size rather than strength? (I'm not worried about strength at all).

I've taken a picture, so I can do a before\after / compare\contrast. Hopefully this will serve as extra incentive for me to stick to my routine.

As you can see, I'm still thin, and that's after 2-3 weeks of vaguely intensive eating/ gym-ing. I'm not tensing anything (I look better when I do), but the aim is to look good without having to tense.

Particular question: How do you get more muscly wrists? Mine are annoyingly thin.

doctors published guidelines - under 18 is critically underweight, sounds like you fall under that if its enough for your doc to say.

But yeah healthy fats, eating regularly (try eating 4 or 5 smaller meals a day if you struggle with a big meal) and gradually increasing your meal size. Make sure you account for and eat more on your exercise days. Watch you don't overdo the exercise as well.

your wrists are mostly bone and tendons so you cant really bulk them up at all.. if you get a tiny bit of extra fat it may make them look slightly bigger.

If you like unhealthy food don't be frightened to treat yourself every now and then..

--

I'm still at the gym and i'm really improving a whole lot. Physically I don't see a lot of difference, except for my arms, they are far more toned than they ever were...yay! A lot of the "change" is mentally and inside. I feel stronger than I ever was and more able. Although with winter coming its very hard to motivate myself.. my bones feel as brittle as hell when it gets this cold!

My personal trainer is brilliant and i'm doing hardcore kettlebell sessions! So bad I was nearly throwing up all over the place. XD

I'm going to take up skipping for some cardio that I can do at home when the weather starts to pick up. I'm not very interested in walking because it all gets very samey.

I've tried the protein shakes, they are completely gross. Try mixing them with milk rather than water (then its extra calcium for you too) or a plain (low fat?) yoghurt. I'm trying to find different, more tolerable ways to eat/drink it... I'm on the banana one at the moment, and its nice if you like banana yoghurt (like the banana crunch corner)

Edited by Raining_again

The only way I found to drink them is to neck it. As fast as possible.

Also, I find it much easier to go to the gym when the weather is bad, when it's good I just want to be outside in the sun. :)

The only way I found to drink them is to neck it. As fast as possible.

hahah yes!

I need to get a decent shaker... I have a maxitone one but it doesn't seal properly or mix the stuff well at all.. any advice?

Every second day I've been going to the sports centre. It's quite far away (2.3 miles google maps tells), so I cycle there (good warm-up). I go swimming first -- I do 4 lengths (of a 25m pool) of breast stroke, then 2 lengths of front crawl, then repeat. I find breast stroke feels better on my arms/chest (as though I'm actually doing something vaguely worthwhile), and front crawl makes me more tired (probably my shoddy technique tbf).

Then I go to the gym, and do weights. Standard stuff, focusing solely on upper body (don't really give that much of a shit about legs - they should come automatically with cycling). Try to do less of more (if that makes sense, heavier weights) because I'm led to believe that increases size rather than strength? (I'm not worried about strength at all).

If I were you I'd stick with front crawl if you're looking to use swimming bulk up a bit. It's great for all of your upper body, especially shoulders, biceps and pecs. Try and hone your technique; really stretch your arms out as far in front of you as you can, face flat down in the water.

What I find is good is doing "full-legs-arms-full" as a warm-up. Meaning, X lengths of full stroke, Y lengths of legs only using a kickboard, Y lengths of arms only using a pullbouy (that thing you put between your legs) and then X lengths of full stroke.

For a standard 25m pool I would say for you; X=8, Y=4. Take 20-30 seconds between each set. Try and build that up over time. Once I've done my warm-up in the pool I go on and do 100m sprints. 100m then take a 30-45s rest then the same again a good few times. You should be sufficiently knackered after that!

Swimming is fantastic exercise and you'll notice yourself getting stronger each time you do it.

I would highly recommend getting some proper swimming trunks too! Knee length Speedo jammers cost around £16 and they honestly make a huge difference. Normal shorts create so much drag.

In terms of front crawl vs breaststroke. Front crawl is all about your arms; between 75-90% of the power comes from your arms, the rest being legs. It's the opposite for breastroke.

Also, do you cardio (swimming) AFTER you've done your weights. It's much better for burning fat and just in general. Also I find if I swim first (which I quite often do because I work in the pool anyway) I find I feel really clammy up in the gym because of all the chlorine.

When I'm doing weights to improve swimming you should make sure that at the end of it you feel like you could still lift more. Don't lift more! That's the energy you'll need to swim with afterwards!

This seems to be pretty good: Impact Whey Protein

MyProtein products are fantastic.

If I were you I'd stick with front crawl if you're looking to use swimming bulk up a bit. It's great for all of your upper body, especially shoulders, biceps and pecs. Try and hone your technique; really stretch your arms out as far in front of you as you can, face flat down in the water.

What I find is good is doing "full-legs-arms-full" as a warm-up. Meaning, X lengths of full stroke, Y lengths of legs only using a kickboard, Y lengths of arms only using a pullbouy (that thing you put between your legs) and then X lengths of full stroke.

For a standard 25m pool I would say for you; X=8, Y=4. Take 20-30 seconds between each set.

I'm not fit/good enough to do 8,4,4,8 really. But I'll work towards that.

I would highly recommend getting some proper swimming trunks too! Knee length Speedo jammers cost around £16 and they honestly make a huge difference. Normal shorts create so much drag.

I have speedos (Not actually made by Speedo, but bought in the H&M sale, because my friend was said I wasn't a proper gay if I didn't have speedos), but the jokes is that they don't actually fit very well. The front bit isn't like wide enough / my package is too big, so they're (vaguely) indecent because pubic area is a bit on show at the side. But yeah, I just wear shorts usually, will invest in proper speedos/trunks.

Also, do you cardio (swimming) AFTER you've done your weights. It's much better for burning fat and just in general.

Not dedicatedly, no. I cycle home, which is pretty far so I'm tired out when I get home.

I feel I swim to get better at weightlifting, where I get the impression that you weightlift to get better at swimming? I guess its just different approaches. Your routine is probably the good thing to do, where mine is based on an arbitrary decision I made once upon a time :p

Also I find if I swim first (which I quite often do because I work in the pool anyway) I find I feel really clammy up in the gym because of all the chlorine.

I don't mind it / I like the feeling of coming out the pool and being chlorine-y.

Edited by chairdriver

I need to get back into a Gym routine, need to get ripped for when I go to Ibiza next year.

Do any of you guys know any cheap recipes with lots of calories and carbs, because I'm quite a skinny lad and need to eat more?

I'm not much of a cook and haven't really got the time to cook roast dinners everyday.

Brown pasta and brown rice. You want to get ripped not fat so you need good food. Tuna is pretty easy, no need to cook it.

If you're looking for real ease, it's got to be protein shake. It might seem expensive but compared to how much the equivalent would cost in food, it isn't. Although you've got to be serious about the gym, otherwise I'd say don't bother.

Basically, though, eat more. I can eat a horrendous amount of food.

I'm not fit/good enough to do 8,4,4,8 really. But I'll work towards that.

Yeah if you don't think you can manage that you can easily halve it or pick your own numbers. It's a great workout.

Not dedicatedly, no. I cycle home, which is pretty far so I'm tired out when I get home.

Fair play. All the PTs and gym instructors recommend doing cardio afterwards though but if you're cycling home anyway it might work better for you that way.

I feel I swim to get better at weightlifting, where I get the impression that you weightlift to get better at swimming? I guess its just different approaches. Your routine is probably the good thing to do, where mine is based on an arbitrary decision I made once upon a time :p

Yeah that's probably a fair assessment although since starting swimming again properly I've noticed I've got a lot more strength in my shoulders!

I need to get back into a Gym routine, need to get ripped for when I go to Ibiza next year.

Do any of you guys know any cheap recipes with lots of calories and carbs, because I'm quite a skinny lad and need to eat more?

I'm not much of a cook and haven't really got the time to cook roast dinners everyday.

Tuna Pasta with mayo! Great snack as it's full of carbs and protein. Really cheap too.

So, I picked up that Hurricane Evo stuff. I have to say that it tastes of absolute awesome. Yummy as hell, and it smells so good to. I got the vanilla version.

I went tonight to do some leg work for the first time in a while. Bracing myself for the inevitable "shit, I can't walk for the rest of my life" pain that will be coming tomorrow.

So, I picked up that Hurricane Evo stuff. I have to say that it tastes of absolute awesome. Yummy as hell, and it smells so good to. I got the vanilla version.

I went tonight to do some leg work for the first time in a while. Bracing myself for the inevitable "shit, I can't walk for the rest of my life" pain that will be coming tomorrow.

where'd you buy eeet?

I'm still loving teh gym, ive just got a bollox diet so my weight is going nowhere. But im getting seriously fitter..

The crosstrainers in the gym go into standby if you stay below a certain speed (might be 5kph) and I struggled to do 3 minutes without it going on standby... (it really aggravated my hips in the beginning)

now I can do 10 minutes at a steady 10kph :D