NEurope

No sense in running every day as you're not giving the muscle fibre time to heal after each run ( I learned that the hard way).

Running almost every day is no problem, I used to run five days a week. You only need to rest one or two days a week. When you constantly need to rest your muscles is when you're really pushing them with weights and such (and even then you can easily get away with working different muscle groups).

Plus, on the rest days you can do something low impact like swimming or cycling.

I'm pretty extreme when it comes to exercise, though. I gym 3/4 times a week, cycle every day and play football on Sundays and still don't consider myself fit enough. No point in doing thing half arsed.

Everyone keeping up their gyming? I started parkour which means I do both weight training at the gym and bodyweight training. It's working a treat!

Everyone keeping up their gyming? I started parkour which means I do both weight training at the gym and bodyweight training. It's working a treat!

Just out of curiosity, how does one "start" parkour? Maybe the view on it's changed but a few years back I was under the impression it was a minority thing for daredevils and skater kids. Do they have parkour trainers?

I could use some advice actually, I've been going to the gym regularly for a few months and have balanced daily exercises between cycling for cardio, weights to build (obviously) and swimming for a bit of toning/getting out of the sun. I've been seeing moderate gains but I've pretty much hit a wall and haven't gained anything in a good while.

What my mate's been suggesting is I change up my routine a bit, fair play, I have been doing the same exact routine but with progressively higher weight or reps depending on the month.

What I'm thinking right now is the rowing machine looks like my kind of machine, sort of an all in one dynamo for my cardio and, by the look of the rowing teams, muscular gain, so I'm thinking I'll take a month out of my routine for solely rowing and swimming and see where it gets me. What I'm wondering is if that's actually a feasible route or is there some massive flaw in my plan? I don't wanna look in the mirror next month looking like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

Just out of curiosity, how does one "start" parkour? Maybe the view on it's changed but a few years back I was under the impression it was a minority thing for daredevils and skater kids. Do they have parkour trainers?

I go to lessons once, sometimes twice a week. :heh:

The demographic has definitely changed.

Rowing teams do weights. They don't just row. I'm pretty sure. What are you actually looking to do? What's your target?

Well, what I'm hoping is that, if a month of it goes well I'll be able to replace my usual month of toning with lower weights. I start to lose interest when I'm toning and stray off course. I haven't really got a specific target, I just wanna keep gaining until I feel secure and maintain it, but as you may know that sense of being content doesn't always come :p

You're probably right though, I don't expect rowing to be my one major exercise, but I do want something new in my routine. Maybe my approach is all wrong. Going a full month on one kind of exercise is never fun, so maybe I should shorten it to two weeks. I've just got it into my head that monthly cycles are the way to go. I change my protein supplements monthly, I get paid monthly, i pay my rent monthly, I menstruate monthly.

Obviously I'm not an expert, I'm sure Flinky knows a lot more, but I'd do what you said and keep it to two, maybe three weeks. Add in some light weights as well, I reckon.

I don't bother going out my way to tone. I do full weights and just eat no junk. I also do the cycling so over time I'm getting toned too.

Well I now finally feel like my body is at it's best it can be...with what I have at home. So now decided to join a gym with a good friend of mine so we can tone on the muscles I have :D

Next couple of months will be awesome xD

I saw some guy in the gym who has forearms bigger than his biceps. It was so...weird.

I saw some guy in the gym who has forearms bigger than his biceps. It was so...weird.

:o

How and why?

No, I know!! It was like Popeye. I have no idea how it's even possible.

My mate has that. He told me it's because he was a drummer but I think he's just a freak.

I kind of doubt drumming can bulk up your forearms that much...unless he's using weighted drum sticks...

Anyways, I'm torn whether I should go to the gym today or not. I went yesterday...but I can do my shoulders and triceps today... Would mean I don't have to go tomorrow.

An old workmate had bigger forearms than than his upper arms.

It was just due to lots of manual labour in the warehouse, you oddly rely on your forearm muscles for a lot of positions you're in while lifting, carrying and loading.

Anyway, I've been exercising at home and cutting out junk food for a couple of weeks.

Next month I'm signing up to the gym (again) and this time will go!

I'm also going with a friend which will help a lot in terms of motivation.

We've decided to go after we both finish work and what not.

Ah, weird. I guess that makes sense. Looks so weird.

I've got no one to go gym with over summer but my friend threatened to call me a bean pole if I don't go. (Not that I would be, I'm in proportion. :heh: )

That keeps me going, though.

Man going to the gym is pretty cool now, I have started to get the hang of it. And having another friend who is starting out with me as well (Although he doesn't lift as much as I since I have been working out even before I went to gym) is very helpful (But he took a couple of days off after working out for 2 days because his muscles were too sore...big baby ;) )

Six pack is coming along nicely, slowly but surely :D

Almost have the perfect picture of how I want to be (With how much I do with weights and such.)

So how else is everyone going on their gym program :)

EDIT: I am starting to feel like I might post a before and after pic of myself soon ;)...or would that be better in the weight loss thread? :confused:

Edited by killer kirby

Good work! Might as well post here since it sounds like your main aim wasn't weight loss but muscle gain. I have no idea, though.

I've been switching it up loads. Last week I went to the gym four times. This week I went on Monday and did parkour on Wednesday and Friday and again this Sunday.

I'd say I'm pretty close to where I want to be in terms of size. Now to concentrate on strength but parkour is excellent for that (wouldn't mind starting some gymnastics - would be a great compliment) and I signed up for Rendezvous 5 in a couple weeks, 10 till 8 on Saturday and 10 till 6 on Sunday (Apparently it's murder. I CANNOT wait :D ).

The week after I'm doing my cycle trip from Geneva to Milan.

It's pretty intense.

Good work! Might as well post here since it sounds like your main aim wasn't weight loss but muscle gain. I have no idea, though.

Well...yes and no. Basically to begin with I was losing weight, I started like over a year ago when I weighed 90kg. I then lost it all by simple dieting and a lot of exercise. I then finally got to 70kg. Thats when I started to go full on with more muscle training (Although was doing muscle training from the start, since I was told that doing weights does make you lose the fat as well)

I only went to the gym to finally get to the home stretch of my goal :D but already I am seeing more improvements. Just got to keep at it :D

Woo I had my first personal trainer session today!

(funny this thread was bumped today!)

I feel very positive about it. Did a lot on weight machines, and a bit of all the cardio machines. My P.T isn't happy putting me on the freeweights just yet because of the risk of injury. I'm happy enough with that because I've got plenty to work on!

Went on the vibraxis machine - vibrating plate - and its amazing haha. My muscles felt like jelly! And the pain went from my joints which was odd. Felt like it was just shaking the pain away!

I wasn't in any discomfort or pain afterwards (saying that I didn't do a LOT) but that is progress for me :P

I seem to go through periods of getting fit and healthy. I think that I've only ever been to the gym...once? Which was actually alright, but I spent most of my time on the treadmills because, lets face it, they are the most fun :laughing:

Recently, I practically do no exercise and don't have much of a diet either. I'm quite lazy but my body hasn't reacted to badly yet (woo!). I think that my only 'proper' form of exercise is my irregular cravings of using the Wii Fit. Sometimes I last a week, other times I could play it every day for 3 months and actually build up some nice muscles.

It's interesting seeing what different people consider what being 'fit' is.

I've been laying off the weights recently, and just been running everyday for 20 minutes, with the incline set to 6.0 and the speed at 10km/h. The sense of contentment and well-being after a weeks worth of running is amazing. Think I'm gonna keep with it, until my new batch of pwoooootein arrives, at which point I'll add a short cardio sesh to the end of my weight training.

Going to try to maintain my 80kg weight, while losing a bit of fat, getting a bit chubby, since I eat a lot of red meat and oily fish.

I'm good for Strength, I can bench my body weight, which is where I want to keep it, rather than getting oversized, although I think my legs could use some work.

Man so I've undergone a bit of gym obsession recently. I used to be really fat so despite getting 'slim' i've still always had a belly and it's always pissed me off, especially as I'm trying to put on muscle. Thankfully me new diet (been on about 2 weeks) seems to be doing wonders. I'm using Pure Whey as a replacement for the old shakes i was considering (25g serving has 21g of protein). Having one of those for breakfast (with about a pint of milk) and then hit the gym to do legs/arms/whatever i need to do that day. Having one immediately after my workout and then heading off to work (12-6pm).

Lunch break I usually eat a small amount of pasta and some fruit with a bottle of water, and then a small dinner around 8ish once I get home and have settled. I've noticed my stomach is getting flatter (at last, though was to be expected as its a high protein, low carb diet) and I'm feeling a lot stronger around the gym, now using about 16Kg free weights whereas before I was struggling on 14 Kg. Hopefully this will keep going well.

On a downer, I'm shitting like crazy.

My PT did advise me that the whey ones are good for weight loss. And kudos on the very healthy diet!

I was in with my PT today, flip me i'm exhausted... the routine was:

- rowing machine for 3 minutes on a steady pace to warm up

- leg weights 12kg both the pushing up and down motions (did 8 reps of those 3 times with 30 second interval)

- on my knees holding a 5kg weight with straight arms with different variation of movement, 8 reps of 4 different variations

- sit ups x 8 without weight, x8 with the same 5kg weight, then again without

- on the vibrating plate in my tiptoes for 30 seconds, then doing squats on my tiptoes, then doing a sitting position (which was excruciating in the last 5 seconds!!)

- onto the bike for about 4 minutes, doing a solid 70 rpm, then increasing to 100 (he originally said 80 but I pushed it up to 100), then down to 80, up to 100, down to 90, down to 60.

- using a ladder laid on the floor i did various hopscotch like movements

- using the balance ball plate thing with and without weights

- throwing some punches in various ways 8 reps of 4 different moves

- then some light stretching to work down.

Killer routine, good for every level of fitness, and I think I worked about just every muscle in my body, especially the cores!