NEurope

Slowly getting back to my daily ashtanga routine...did an hour's session today. It's pretty weird...I don't really have a burning motivation, but I'm just doing it anyway. I think it's the power of conditioning...also, since my analysation frenzy finally stopped last year, I don't seem to fret about the length of the practice or if I can or cannot do this or that anymore. I'll just do the practice and see what happens...

what's this crazy thing you speak of? :P

The past couple months have been great. Having hit the gym obsessively since last September I was happy just to do that but after starting parkour I just want to do way more to supplement the gym. I mean, what's the point of being strong if you're not going to use it?! :heh:

I want to start climbing. After my cycling trip from Switzerland to Italy in a couple weeks I'm going to check out this indoor rock climbing place I found near London Bridge.

My only regret is no one I know is anywhere near as enthusiastic as me when it comes to stuff like this. I have no idea why, I've never felt better.

Awesome, glad to see everyone is having fun working out.

It's been really up and down the last few months. Workings, travellings, meaning that there hasn't been too much time to get to my gym. I really want to go tonight but my chest is bothering me. I have withdrawel, I wanna work ouuut. :(

This might sound like a weird question but how do you know when you are worn out? I don't know if I should go to the gym today. I kind of want to.

The week before last I went to the gym Mon/Tues, Thurs/Fri. Then last week I went to the gym Monday, played football on Tuesday and did parkour Wed/Fri/Sun(yesterday). I also cycle for about an hour every day just getting around.

I'm not sure if I'm just a bit tired or running myself into the ground.

This might sound like a weird question but how do you know when you are worn out? I don't know if I should go to the gym today. I kind of want to.

The week before last I went to the gym Mon/Tues, Thurs/Fri. Then last week I went to the gym Monday, played football on Tuesday and did parkour Wed/Fri/Sun(yesterday). I also cycle for about an hour every day just getting around.

If you find yourself injuring easily that's a sign that you are overdoing it... If you aren't sure just take a day out, it does sound like you've done a lot lately. Maybe you'll feel better after a good nights sleep? They do say your body needs a day or two a week to rest and help repair and stuffs

--

I've just realised today how unfit and prone to injury that I am. I hurt my neck today, not caused by going to the gym but the fact I was a bit worn out didn't help matters. I'm sure the road ahead will be fraught with injury and exhaustion but i'm hoping it gets gradually better! ^_^

Also magnetic heat mats are AMAZING for sprains and aches. Helps get the blood flow to that exact area, relieves pain and speeds up healing! Yay for the powah of magnetism! :D

Got my induction tomorrow, looking forward to it muchly.

Used to do some free weights at home and have picked that up again but don't really feel I can get any more out of it. Plus the cardio will be a hell of a lot easier running on a treadmill as opposed to roads covered in pot holes!

Got my induction tomorrow, looking forward to it muchly.

Used to do some free weights at home and have picked that up again but don't really feel I can get any more out of it. Plus the cardio will be a hell of a lot easier running on a treadmill as opposed to roads covered in pot holes!

it's definitely a lot more satisfying, and if you see a P.Trainer, you can tell them what you want to achieve and they'll give you an exact workout.

Plus they usually push people harder than they'd push themselves!

When I'm physically tired, I tend to feel a heaviness over my body. I find that if I go to the gym when I'm not feeling it, it sometimes runs over onto the next day. So, when you're feeling like that, it's probably best to have a rest day and then save your energy for the day after. You feel a bit fresher then and up for it.

Also, when you ask yourself "am I tired?" you probably are. :heh: Half the battle is mentally! I hate the days where you go to the gym and you don't feel up for it.

I wanna go now.

I feel a little bit 'urgh'. (I honestly can't describe it any better :heh: ) I never feel that washed out, which is a big problem. I'm pretty stubborn, I've even gone to the gym when I've been ill and just pushed on through.

I ended up going to the gym after work. Finished my chest exercises and three sets of hammer curls and then thought "I'm done".

I think I'm going to take tomorrow and Wednesday off and go again Thursday. Although I've still got to cycle around.

I'm with you Flinky, not being able to go to the gym when you want to blows big time. No parkour this week, either. :(

I best be careful before the Geneva/Milan cycle trip, too.

Daft, if you're a regular goer like we are, it gets pretty difficult to know when you're worn out because you're rearing for that daily dose of serotonin and dopamine. I think you get an inkling when you start working out though, if you feel a little achey, or if you can only manage sets with a lower amount of reps than normal. Give it a break once in a while yo ;).

Just ran. I found my perfect tracklisting for it too, keeps me going without glancing at the timer, which I find helps me not get bummed out at how much longer I have to go before I deem it ok to stop;

Chemical Bros - Under the Influence

Chemical Bros - Block Rockin' Beats

Hudson Mohawke - FUSE

Sebastian - Walking Machine

Hudson Mohawke - No One Could Ever

Yeasayer - Ambling Alp.

Before I know it, thats 30 mins down and I feel great :D.

Good question. Did yoga today as well, felt a bit tired once again, though still did nearly the whole set without any problems. Part of this tiredness is probably because of my recent slump period: bad posture + too much time on the computer. Slowly trying to climb up from there...

Half the battle is mentally!

Indeed. When I started doing daily, full length practice last Autumn, went through all kinds of resistance coming just from my mind...At some point, it finally just went away on its own, with my desire to constantly think. So glad of that...In the end, I remember doing 2-hour yoga sets daily (minus 1 or 2 rest days per week), and no problem with energy. Turns out my mind was lying all along...It truly is a fine line with what you can do and cannot do...I guess the only way to find out your limits is just by testing. The mind will try to con you by various means, so don't believe everything it tries to sell you...

Edited by Ville

Daft, if you're a regular goer like we are, it gets pretty difficult to know when you're worn out because you're rearing for that daily dose of serotonin and dopamine. I think you get an inkling when you start working out though, if you feel a little achey, or if you can only manage sets with a lower amount of reps than normal. Give it a break once in a while yo ;).

Haha! I actually needed to hear that. It's final, I'm chilling the next two days. :D

Does anyone else find that after the initial workout of an unused muscle group, the "morning after aches" just disappear? The first time I ever went to the gym I was aching for days, but after that the only way I could tell if I was physically exhausted is if, like you say, my rep threshold begins to lower.

It's just a shame because it's such a gratifying feeling to wake up in the morning and not be able to move.

It's just a shame because it's such a gratifying feeling to wake up in the morning and not be able to move.

If you fall asleep with your arms under you, it pretty much has the same effect :p

Does anyone else find that after the initial workout of an unused muscle group, the "morning after aches" just disappear? The first time I ever went to the gym I was aching for days, but after that the only way I could tell if I was physically exhausted is if, like you say, my rep threshold begins to lower.

You can always work it harder. It's probably a sign you should if you can't feel anything. Although that won't necessarily be true when you work out your back because it's such a big muscle group, so it depends.

I get that ache most times although normally only when I massage or stretch out the muscle the next morning. Like yesterday I did chest exercises and it's fine now but if I rub it I can feel it.

You can always work it harder. It's probably a sign you should if you can't feel anything. Although that won't necessarily be true when you work out your back because it's such a big muscle group, so it depends.

I get that ache most times although normally only when I massage or stretch out the muscle the next morning. Like yesterday I did chest exercises and it's fine now but if I rub it I can feel it.

Well, I'm definately making progress on the muscular girth front, so I don't really feel like I can push myself further than I do. I was speaking to a gym acquantence and he reckons it might be my supplements working. I started taking creatine on and off so perhaps that's helping.

While on the subject of supplements, does everyone use? Alot of my mates laugh at me for using creatine and "water bulking" but I find it gives me a bit of a boost in my potential rep count.

Ah, yeah. If you're using supplement then you'll recover much much quicker.

I used to use Hurricane Evo (It's got creatine in) but I stopped and just upped what I ate instead. I'll start using it again when university starts because it's then that I find it hard to keep up the quantity I eat. Also, I want to get a feel for what parkour does and if I kept on taking HE I suspect I'd recover too quickly to notice.

Just had my induction at the gym - it was fucking awesome!

All the machines seem simple enough to use, plus it was nice to have some heavier weights, at home I've only got a set of 10kg's so I went straight for the 14kg's, didn't do as badly as I thought.

The main thing I want to get out of this is to tighten up my stomach area, I'm by no means fat but there is a little excess that could do with being shifted. Anyone got any suggestions of diet/supplements that I can combine with my workouts?

I wouldn't say you need supplements for that. As for diet, don't eat any crap food.

You probably want to focus on aerobic exercise if you want to get rid of the fat; low body fat percentage, and all that. Maybe eat slightly less carbs, too.

It's probably best to ease yourself into any long term habits. I started cycling every day at first. A month later I stopped eating anything unhealthy (Surprisingly easy. Although it took me another few months to switch from white to brown rice). Then a month later I started hitting the gym pretty hard.

So basically I've made a pact with myself to become beautiful. I've totally changed my eating, sleeping and exercise routine over the past 2 weeks, in an attempt to become "buff".

Basically, I was very thin. Especially so over the past summer, where I was so bored that I did nothing, slept little and ate little, and was depressed. Went to the doctor (about something unrelated), and he was just like "this is really unhealthy", not sure what my BMI is, but at the time I was just under 9 stone, which is underweight for my height (6 foot).

So been taking practical steps to become more healthy, which in turn has helped with my mental state.

Been trying to get more sleep (this has been failing, I'm officially addicted to the internet / going out :p).

As for diet, I've been having peanuts and bran flakes for breakfast every day. Peanuts because they are high in protein and "good" fat; bran flakes because they're really fibrous, which is good for my digestive system (which I originally went to the doctor about). Then I've been eating 2/3/4 other meals every day, choosing things which are particularly "meaty" (need protein, and can't afford protein shake - HEINOUSLY expensive!!). Appetite has massively increased, because I find thinking/spending time in the library genuinely strenuous, and I'm doing that whenever I'm not walking/cycling/dancing/gyming.

Every second day I've been going to the sports centre. It's quite far away (2.3 miles google maps tells), so I cycle there (good warm-up). I go swimming first -- I do 4 lengths (of a 25m pool) of breast stroke, then 2 lengths of front crawl, then repeat. I find breast stroke feels better on my arms/chest (as though I'm actually doing something vaguely worthwhile), and front crawl makes me more tired (probably my shoddy technique tbf).

Then I go to the gym, and do weights. Standard stuff, focusing solely on upper body (don't really give that much of a shit about legs - they should come automatically with cycling). Try to do less of more (if that makes sense, heavier weights) because I'm led to believe that increases size rather than strength? (I'm not worried about strength at all).

I've taken a picture, so I can do a before\after / compare\contrast. Hopefully this will serve as extra incentive for me to stick to my routine.

Photo218.jpg

As you can see, I'm still thin, and that's after 2-3 weeks of vaguely intensive eating/ gym-ing. I'm not tensing anything (I look better when I do), but the aim is to look good without having to tense.

Particular question: How do you get more muscly wrists? Mine are annoyingly thin.

Protein shakes may seem expensive but they aren't really. Try eating the amount of protein in them through normal food is royally expensive.

Then I go to the gym, and do weights. Standard stuff, focusing solely on upper body (don't really give that much of a shit about legs - they should come automatically with cycling).

Yeah, don't make that mistake. Do legs. Squats are amazing. They hit the abs real good.

Particular question: How do you get more muscly wrists? Mine are annoyingly thin.

You don't.