NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Solo

Help buying a PC.

Hi, i'm currently looking for a pc, one that can run todays games like HL2, FEAR & CoD 2 at fairly high settings. My budget is 800 quid (although something around 700 - 750 would be ideal).

I have been looking around and i've found 2 that i'm interested in,

http://www.carrerassc.co.uk/carrera_sysconf2.asp?systemvar=y

http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/product_detail.asp?stype=5&productcode=3366-4401&group=PCOEM&pgroup=CS

If anyone could tell me if these are good deals or if I should look elsewhere then that would be great.

Thanks.

i say the first one since it has a amd 64 cpu, however the 6600gt that it has will limit u to newer games at high settings i.e fear, quake 4, so if u get that one then i suggest u update your gfx card, however the second is pretty good as well, a 3.0 ghz p4 630 cpu and a 6800xt hmm pretty good but 512 ram only? hmm

ok in my own personal opinon, u say your buget is £800 then

go the first one, sell the 6600gt on ebay, u should make at least £120 for it, then u will have at least £320 left over to buy a kickass gfx card like a 7800gtx or 1800xt pe whenh they come out, then u will be set for the next two yrs or more

They are both well spec'd pc's! I would have a hard decision myself, but here is what I think you need to take into account:

One monitor is 17", the other 19", I have a 19 here and a 17 at work, and it makes for much more enjoyable gaming on the larger monitor!

The ram - this stuff is shit cheap these days, if you go for the one with the better gpu, you can bang in loads more ram for almost nothing, especially when you compare the price of ram with that of gpu's!

Finally, the CPU. They are almost identical in that they both do hyper threading (or so I believe). You could say the AMD is future proof due to its 64bit architecture, but at the same time, in raw power the Intel is probably better.

So all in all, whichever one you buy, they will both do what you want straight out the box. You will just get improvements as you upgrade certain components. You just need to decide what you think you will be prepared to upgrade, say in 6 months time.

Sign in to follow this