NEurope
Caris

I seen a ghost.

It's that. (effectively)

I'm not scared of pain or whatever. I'm not scared of how I'll die, but what I'll think as I'm dying/know I'm going to die.

I think that's pretty terrifying, imo. Knowing that you will cease being a part of this world, and have no certain idea of what will lie beyond, how can that not be scary? Plus, knowing that you will be leaving people behind, and wondering how life will go on for them. I try not to think about death too much, but I don't think anyone should be made to feel bad for being a bit scared about it.

The fear of death is a biological way for us not to jump of a cliff or headbutt ourselves in a wall till we lost consciousness.

It wasn't made so we stood 5 minutes afraid of what will happen after we live, wasting life in the process

Again, I think the irony speaks for itself

Yes, fearing death is essentially pointless, and you may find it ironic, but overcoming such fears isn't just a question of realising the pointlessness of them. You could argue that all fears are pointless, as we just have to deal with what we face, but it just isn't that simple.

Yes, fearing death is essentially pointless, and you may find it ironic, but overcoming such fears isn't just a question of realising the pointlessness of them. You could argue that all fears are pointless, as we just have to deal with what we face, but it just isn't that simple.

Never said it was.

It doesn't change the fact that its pointless and extremely ironic.

I had this same fear when I was younger (read: 13 years old)

I remember being in the middle of a boring class and thinking that I would still feel consciousness and see worms slowly devouring my skin.

And then, I saw how stupid that theory was, but then I got afraid of what would happen to me.

1 Year later, I just stop to think a little and get to the conclusion where I'm at now (which is ironic, as at the moment, I was probably closer to death than a lot of you ever were)

Since then, fear was gone.

How nice for you.

It hasn't and will never go for me (I predict). Telling me it's pointless isn't helping. I'm not afraid of death itself, I fear not existing. Just cause you don't have a fear doesn't mean someone doesn't have it to a great, uncontrollable degree.

It doesn't impair my day to day life (fear of death probably would, like panicing about germs or something, never going near cars etc.

I think if anyone really, really ponders upon the qualitative elements of existence, then they're likely to get pretty damn sad about it all.

B

EDIT: Thinking about it, what is rational fear actually?

A rational fear is - being scared of men running at you with an axe screaming "I'M GONNA KILL YOU!!!" -- that is, fear of impeding pain/doom/negative stuff, when the pain/doom/negative stuff is rather likely to happen. Thus being scared of feathers, sponges or buttons are seen as irrational, and linked to silly psychological-childhood-trauma schtoof. Geddit?

I think if anyone really, really ponders upon the qualitative elements of existence, then they're likely to get pretty damn sad about it all.

A rational fear is - being scared of men running at you with an axe screaming "I'M GONNA KILL YOU!!!" -- that is, fear of impeding pain/doom/negative stuff, when the pain/doom/negative stuff is rather likely to happen. Thus being scared of feathers, sponges or buttons are seen as irrational, and linked to silly psychological-childhood-trauma schtoof. Geddit?

Yeah, that's simple enough. But what about Paj's fear of non-existence? Would you classify that as rational or irrational? I'm in doubt myself.

Well I quite like Jonnas's definition. I mean, logically, whatever-it-is-that-happens-after-death is scary because it signifies the end of existence, which is scary because it means an end to the positive side of life. I think it's exceptionally rational to be fearful of it.

Well I quite like Jonnas's definition. I mean, logically, whatever-it-is-that-happens-after-death is scary because it signifies the end of existence, which is scary because it means an end to the positive side of life. I think it's exceptionally rational to be fearful of it.

Umm...Did I define death? I only made a post about the existence of one's self (while being alive)

As for the new matter at hand, I find Paj's fear to be completely understandable. I mean, at one point we're going to stop existing, stop living life as we know it.

That's scary. I think it's a waste of time dwelling too much on it, but there's no denying it's scary.

How nice for you.

It hasn't and will never go for me (I predict). Telling me it's pointless isn't helping. I'm not afraid of death itself, I fear not existing. Just cause you don't have a fear doesn't mean someone doesn't have it to a great, uncontrollable degree.

It doesn't impair my day to day life (fear of death probably would, like panicing about germs or something, never going near cars etc.

fear of not existing, i guess its the fear you will never have to face, myself, i cant fear it because not existing wont affect me, so why worry?

Well surely the fact I say it's a great fear indicates that I'm not intentionally worrying about it, but rather that it is something that scares me without there being anything I can do about it?

If I could not be scared of it, do you not think I would? Anyone with a fear of stuff that might impede their enjoyment in life (flight, heights, dogs whatever) would want to not be scared of it.

So it's not helpful telling anyone to not be scared of something they have no control over.

I think about it every day in varying degrees of sadness or whatever, but as I said, it doesn't control my life or anything. But I do think that one of the reasons I try not to go to bed until early morning unless I'm really tired because I sometimes drift back to the idea of not existing and it scares the shit out of me. Again, it's a kind of subconcious, and just appears.

I didn't realy intend for this to become "Let's diagnose Paj".

But of course I WOULD be forever scared of the one thing that will happen and that which is completely unknown and the antithesis to all I've ever known (life).

I believe so.

There's nothing more we can discuss about the Death fear

I remembered my photographic evidence of a ghost. This was in the old Odeon in Aylesbury (closed and derelict now. We found a Ghostbusters 2 movie reel case!!!) :D.

n509970580_3042717_5473.jpg

n509970580_3042718_5769.jpg

n509970580_3042719_6057.jpg

:(

I found out afterwards its just a rip in the wall, lol. In fact you can see it in this video at precisely 1:28/1:29.

God that was a great night.

I definitely want to be kept alive on machines if it's the only way. I'm incredibly self-centered deep down, part and parcel with this fear.

It's not that deep down.

Should we go back to discussing ghosts, then?

Indeed! The thread is about ghosts! Look on the plus side all you death fearers, you might live on as some creepy asian dude.

you might live on as some creepy asian dude.

I've never been called creepy before. :(

As for Ghosts, my Mum is a very big believer in them. It all comes from her Dad when he was in the War. Apparantly he was keeping guard during the night and saw something in the darkness. He called out, fired a few shots, but didn't get a response at all. I forget where he was at the time, but my Mum says that he was convinced he'd seen a Ghost.

Then, there was another time where my Mum came home from work. She came into the house, popped to the toilet, then remembered seeing a figure walking up the stairs when she was back in the living room. She thought it might have been my Dad, so she called up as she saw the Man walking up the stairs. When she got to the top of the stairs, there was nothing or no-one there. The whole house was completely empty. She says that she's seen this figure quite a few times since. I'm not sure if I do believe in Ghosts or not, but I do think that there is something in this house. It can be very creepy.

Maybe not to your face.

And One...And Two...And Three.

*commences Operation: Sad Face*

:(

*sad face locked in*

Hey Caris, if that asian guy shows up in your room again tell him he still owes me 30€ from the asswhooping I gave him in smash bros.

Fucker shows up in my room in the middle of the night, we play Brawl for money, he gets his ass whooped and then the fucker vanishes.

ghost sightings are real, my bro has seen an old lady, a child ghost by his bed,

my dad knows fishermen, who have seen a monk floating across a beach towards anold church,

an ex police officer has seen somthing similar, he even filed a report,

i think we do live on in some form after death,

here is some actaul ghost footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Am67-Sew7k

Edited by yesteryeargames

Its just a sprit if it hitts u or smacks u its aggrsive and u must of did something to it if it just walks around it means that he dont know who u are and he wanna talk 2 u now since its asian he will kill u im really not lieing because one of my friends went into the woods and saw a sprit and it was japaniess and its been 9years ever since me or his parents heard from him

don't know if there real but i'm the kind of person who could be talked into anything, or out of anything...

I'd like to believe they exist mind you :)

Its just a sprit if it hitts u or smacks u its aggrsive and u must of did something to it if it just walks around it means that he dont know who u are and he wanna talk 2 u now since its asian he will kill u im really not lieing because one of my friends went into the woods and saw a sprit and it was japaniess and its been 9years ever since me or his parents heard from him

Yeah... I'm not buying it, at least not until you fix your horrendous grammar, punctuation and spelling...