NEurope
flameboy

Has anyone made the jump to HD for films?

I'm about 80% switched over to HD. Got myself a LG 1080p HDTV, a Sony Blu-ray/DVD upscaling player (goes up to 1080p) and roughly 25 Blu-ray movies.

I'm happy to buy DVD's still if they are not out on Blu-ray. Plus all the TV shows i own on DVD need a player to watch them on.

Normally my family rents Blu-rays since its only a few dollars more, when buying films, it really depends on what it is. That said, compared to the huge number of DVDs my family owns, we only have 4 Blu-rays, and 3 came with the player. Then again, we've barely bought any films since we got the player anyway.

Blu-ray players are way too expensive at the moment and so are the discs.

If I am making a mass purchase on Yes Asia for TV series and films (I usually spend around £80 each time), I can get several films for the price of a single Blu-ray disc, so it's just not worth it at the moment. I would love to get a few nature and travel documentaries in HD though.

I made my DVD player region free, but I'm not sure how easy that is to do with a Blu-ray player. Region free players are really expensive and there is no way that I am dishing out £400 for one.

I've watched about 3 DVDs since I got my PS3 about a year and a half ago. HD all the way. Watching DVDs after is crappy because they look pretty bad in comparison, like they're pirated or sommit.

DVD's look pirated? That's insane Daft! :heh:

I do agree with HD all the way though, I just don't have a blu ray player yet.

Mulling it over there's only really two things I would feel the need to buy on Blu-Ray, Pixar films and Pushing Daisies. I feel that they would both benefit from the apparent extra clarity but everything else? From what I've seen so far its not something I can live without, it doesn't feel like the switch from VHS to DVD to me.

Mulling it over there's only really two things I would feel the need to buy on Blu-Ray, Pixar films and Pushing Daisies. I feel that they would both benefit from the apparent extra clarity but everything else? From what I've seen so far its not something I can live without, it doesn't feel like the switch from VHS to DVD to me.

Films like Transformers may need to be in Blu-Ray. It was impossible to make out anything in the last hour in a cinema, so I dread to think what the DVD is like.

I have a HD tv but im not in a rush to buy a player. The discs are jus to dear. I mean i bought the simpsons movie for £3 today on dvd. I hardly ever pay over a fiver unless it something i really really want.

I dont doubt blue ray is better. But i just dont think DVD is bad.

Films like Transformers may need to be in Blu-Ray. It was impossible to make out anything in the last hour in a cinema, so I dread to think what the DVD is like.

I was talking about things I actually want, not Michael Bay's camera shakeathon :p

I was talking about things I actually want, not Michael Bay's camera rapeathon :p

There we go, fixed.