NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Firefox updating page issue.

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but it's something I've wondered for a while now.

I uploaded a new N-E site banner earlier today (Professor Layton themed) but even as I type this post the Metroid Prime Trilogy banner is still at the top of the page, however on IE, Chrome and Opera, the new banner has already appeared without any need to refresh the page.

I know that if I refresh in Firefox it will appear as well as it's what I've done in the past, but why is it that a refresh is required on Firefox, and not on the other browsers that I mentioned? :wtf:

Is it an known problem, or just a setting in the options or something? ::shrug:

Edited by RedShell

Have you tried deleting your cache? Might be full or something?
I hadn't tried that, no.

It's updated by itself now anyway, very odd. Just seems like there's a massive delay then compared to other browsers. :hmm:

It's not a bad thing, in FF's defense. Firefox just has a more extensive cache, it's basically storing all the images you view on a site based on filename so that it doesn't have to re-download the image every time you visit the site. If you were to give each header a new name and change the code, it wouldn't be a problem. Alternatively you could press ctrl+F5 to refresh the cache and see the new image immediately.

What Shorty said. In fairness I too had the metroid banner when I landed on this page. Its always good to remember to do the hard refresh to make sure that there is definitely a problem.

It's not a bad thing, in FF's defense. Firefox just has a more extensive cache, it's basically storing all the images you view on a site based on filename so that it doesn't have to re-download the image every time you visit the site. If you were to give each header a new name and change the code, it wouldn't be a problem. Alternatively you could press ctrl+F5 to refresh the cache and see the new image immediately.
Yeah, I suppose on one hand that is a good thing as you're not pointlessly re-downloading stuff over and over again, but at the same time it kind of sucks that you might not be getting the most up to date content on certain sites without having to refresh.

Oh well, at least I know a bit more about it now.

Cheers.

: peace:

Sign in to follow this