NEurope
tapedeck

The Wii Audio/Graphics Appreciation Thread

Holy Hell, the theme to Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (stupid title) is awesome. So majestic!

I haven't even played the game yet, but I'm really digging New Super Mario Bros. Wii's World 1 theme:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by LostOverThere

I was just thinking about this thread and there must be a ton of new stuff to add in here since 2009! Maybe we could get it stickied?

I was just thinking about this thread and there must be a ton of new stuff to add in here since 2009! Maybe we could get it stickied?

So true, Kirby's Epic Yarn springs to mind immediately!

Oh... and Monster Hunter Tri!!!

Edited by Kav

So true, Kirby's Epic Yarn springs to mind immediately!

Oh... and Monster Hunter Tri!!!

Yeah, I've just got back into this and there are some stunning views in this game that I never properly noticed.

GoldenEye:

Huge production values ensued for some great visuals and sound design.

Dolphin%202010-11-04%2014-36-59-14.jpg

Dolphin%202010-11-06%2018-01-01-28.jpg

It also had some fantastic music:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

GoldenEye:

Huge production values ensued for some great visuals and sound design.

Oh yes, I certainly agree with that, especially the snow level was really great looking.

----------------------------------

Anyway, my vote for best visuals goes to:

Endless Ocean 2

[spoiler=

Here are some screenshots I took with the in-game camera:]uaZIF.jpg

PGQlY.jpg

o0ZXT.jpg

J7ozs.jpg

May I put forward Epic Mickey as a great looking game. I've not played much of it (thanks Dead Space 2..!), but from what I have seen it looks stnning, and remarkably well designed.

Oh yes, I certainly agree with that, especially the snow level was really great looking.

----------------------------------

Anyway, my vote for best visuals goes to:

Endless Ocean 2

[spoiler=

Here are some screenshots I took with the in-game camera:]uaZIF.jpg

PGQlY.jpg

o0ZXT.jpg

J7ozs.jpg

I got to be honest here: when I clicked on that spoiler tag and saw those screenshots I thought it to be real, and I mean better than any quad-processing shennanigens could ever produce.

Those screenshots look like genuine underwater photography to me.

May I put forward Epic Mickey as a great looking game. I've not played much of it (thanks Dead Space 2..!), but from what I have seen it looks stnning, and remarkably well designed.

Damn straight! The cut-scenes are quite artistic as well.:hehe:

While it certainly wasn't the best game (although I loved it to bits), Fragile Dreams definitely deserves some props for putting together a fantastic audio and visual presentation.

Both came together to create one of the best atmospheres in a game I've ever experienced. For me, not even the monotonous gameplay could drag it down because they nailed the presentation with an absolutely beautiful and eerie soundtrack and brilliant art design, as well as the story and characters to a level that hadn't and hasn't been seen again yet on the Wii since it came out.

I also echo the praise of recent games like Kirby's Epic Yarn and Epic Mickey, and can't believe how good those screens of Endless Ocean 2 are. Really need to track down a copy of that game. Loved the first one for being so laidback.

Red Steel 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Monster Hunter Tri all prove that the Wii can produce truly stunning looking games.

Special props to Red Steel 2 and Kirby for being two games that look as good as anything on the HD consoles thanks to their fantastic visual style!

Dragon Quest Monsters Battle Road Victory.

I'll just show the youtube clips that can describe how it looks :D

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Just had to add the main theme from Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games.

This is beautiful... :o I'm watching the LIVE: Japan earthquake coverage from BBC, and my eyes are just tearing up...there's hope people, there's hope...

That really is beautiful. Sound is under-rated in videogames.

This is the credits music from Other M. Sounds like it was taken right from the ending of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Fucking beautiful.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

and also this one, again from Other M. The alternative title music.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Dragon Quest Monsters Battle Road Victory.

Yangus gets all the best cutscenes :laughing:

I realized that I may do Endless Ocean 2 more justice if I show some photos with better focus and aperture settings (disclaimer: these aren't mine.)

r4e0067.jpg

r4e_0002.jpg

R4E_0018.jpg

Adding to the Goldeneye love

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Pure Bond.

And lest we forget Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by david.dakota

I recently picked up Sin and Punishment 2 for the Wii, and it has completely blown me away, both as an amazingly classy game and a sheer audio and visual tour-de-force. That incredible level through the underwater tunnel, and the terrifying boss that climbs up the level lashing it's tongue out at you. For such a short game (though I haven't beaten it yet), it packs and incredible wealth of imaginative, exciting and surprising visual ideas.

I realized that I may do Endless Ocean 2 more justice if I show some photos with better focus and aperture settings (disclaimer: these aren't mine.)

r4e0067.jpg

r4e_0002.jpg

R4E_0018.jpg

So are you saying that the in game screenshots aren't this incredible, because DAMN!

THAT SHIT IS B-E-A-UTIFUL!

r4e0067.jpg

r4e_0002.jpg

R4E_0018.jpg

Wow, those shots are stunning!

So are you saying that the in game screenshots aren't this incredible, because DAMN!

THAT SHIT IS B-E-A-UTIFUL!

What I mean is that the photos I took don't look as good as possible, because I messed up some of the camera settings. That's why I also showed some other people's in-game photos. Both EO1 and EO2 are really great games, in case anyone has ignored them so far. They may not seem very interesting from an outside perspective, but they offer a tremendous relaxing experience.

I'm going to add what I have to call Wiis graphically most uneven games. Some areas are blocky like an N64-game, while others are frankly jaw droppingly gorgeous.

Disaster Day of Crisis

disaster-day-of-crisis-screens-20080912072421203_640w.jpg

3.jpg

And then there's the frankly obvious stuff.

Seeing as I no longer have my Wii :( (sent it off for repair), I figured now is a good time to come back to this thread and add some more games. Stuff that I missed out of my previous post, new games that I've played since then and even a couple that I'm yet to play! :smile:

All music once again. Enjoy!:

: peace:

Shadow in the Garage - Eledees

Not sure how I managed to miss Eledees from my first post, but time to make up for that right now.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Quiet in the Living Room - Eledees

Eledees was such a great early Wii game, really got me thinking that Konami were back to their good old days... Shame it wasn't to last.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Throwback Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy 2

Absolutely fantastic. Now this is how you update classic tunes with style! :awesome:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Puzzle Plank Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy 2

This for me just sums up Nintendo's commitment to adding surprising elements to every aspect of their games, just when you think you've heard it all they come at you with stuff like this. Genius.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Slipsand Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy 2

Another one of my faves from SMG2, incredible stuff.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Bowser's Galaxy Generator - Super Mario Galaxy 2

There's epic, and then there's this. Mind blowing! :o

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Disco Kid - Punch-Out!!

Gotta love that bassline, so funky!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Palm Tree Groove - Donkey Kong Country Returns

Overall the music in DCKR was a bit disappointing, this track almost single-handedly makes up for it though.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Outer Rings - Kirby's Epic Yarn

This tune really reminds me of old school Anime that I used to watch, like Sailor Moon and Ranma ½. Love it. :love:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Dusk Dunes - Kirby's Epic Yarn

Just a piano and some percussion, it doesn't get much simpler than that, but this one proves perfectly how less can be so much more.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Good Vibrations - No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

Cheesy as you like! Especially the vocal bits, but hey it's catchy. :laughing:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Coconut Grabber - No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

NMH2 featured some marvelous chiptunes, this is my pick of the lot though.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Sanie cu Zurgãlãi - Rabbids Go Home

Rabbids Go Home IMO is still the best thing that Ubisoft have ever done, and probably ever will.

90%[/hr]

Daigo Temple - Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

Awesome tune! Really gets you in fighting mode.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Les Vagas - Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

This one doesn't exactly get you hyped for a fight, but it sure does sound great.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Main Menu Theme - GoldenEye 007

The music in the Wii version of GoldenEye was no where near the level of excellence in RARE's masterpiece, but I found this tune quite impressive.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Monster Hunter Tri

These are all from MH3. Rather than the epic orchestrated music that plays during battles (which is obviously amazing), I've chosen what is essentially incidental music from the online lobby. But the quality of these shows just how much effort CAPCOM put into this game.

I Want to Dance Because I'm a Hunter

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Cazador de Monstruo

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Loc Lac, Be Eternal

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Sweet Mountain - Sonic Colours

Brought to my attention recently by very person that created this thread, good old tapedeck. :bowdown:

Sonic Colours was always on my list of games to check out, but hearing this has made me all the more eager to pick it up.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Colour on the Dancefloor - de Blob 2

Adored the first game and its music, sounds like thing's are just as funky in the sequel too.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

So there we go, that brings me up to date with my personal Wii audio appreciation.

I can't wait to get my Wii back, listening to all that again has made the wait even more difficult. Come on Nintendo service centre, don't leave me hanging! :bouncy:

Aaaaah Eledeees. Man I loved that game. It was like finders keepers on 'roids.

Excellent post Redshell. :D

God damnit, you two, now I want to buy Eledees.....

Not a bad thing, I'm just such a sucker for buying games people are recommending unless I'm sure I don't like the genre...