NEurope
tapedeck

The Wii Audio/Graphics Appreciation Thread

Ok, there are tons of great looking and sounding Wii games out there yet I'd like you to post some screens and audio of your favourite Wii games to let the world know what's so good about them!

Rules: Only games that are currently available qualify!

53751520070222_133302_0_big.jpg

Battalion Wars 2 - one of the best looking games on the system and one which plays similarly to Ratchet and Clank mixed with 3rd person RTS gameplay. Wonderful!

et05.jpg

Excitetruck - Still looks awesome today and flies along too! The water and vast landscapes still look great.

super-mario-galaxy3.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy - Looks stellar throughout. The underwater levels specifically were sublime.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Punch Out!! Theme. Totally Rock(y)'s me out, amazing!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Wii Music Theme.

Brilliant when the Bass/Drums kick in. Typical Nintendo - brilliant melody and when you play along it makes the game worth 20 notes on it's own.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Gusty Garden Galaxy. (Super Mario Galaxy)

Best piece of music to come out of Nintendo for years.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Luigi's themes in Super Mario Strikers Charged.

Brilliant!

Thoughts as ever. : peace:

Just an upfront warning; this is meant to be an appreciation thread and while some criticism and discussion is fine, anyone coming to say "lols its not HD it suxors" or "its crap look at this [random ubisoft game]" will get banned from the thread*.

*and if people want to alert me to any potential people that'd be nice as I'll forget to regularly check.

Although to contribute, I quite like this which you just posted;

R4E_0067.jpg

is this a joke thread?

but, uh.... i guess TP is a great looking game... even though it's not a Wii game

Gtfo

Anyway, as far as music is concerned, NiGHTS Journey Of Dreams, just for that wonderful theme song.

Edited by Josh64

is this a joke thread?

I think what tapedeck is trying to bring out (for lack of a better phrase) is good examples within the console.

It may not have the shiny graphics of the PS3/360 BUT it does have games that look nice, just not necessarily to the same degree as the PS3/360 but that doesn't mean people can't appreciate what IS there.

Even in a school of ugos there's an occasional beauty.

A game doesn't have to be graphically stellar if the art is in the right place.

Hence the praise for games like Muramasa, NMH and such.

Good stuff! A nice positive thread that we can all get our teeth into.

I love me some colour in my games so I have chosen Wii titles that are bright and colourful. Not only do these look awesome but they are all must have games for the Wii, IMO.

Zack and Wiki

A game with a cartoony look but that had a sinister difficulty level in the later stages. A great example of not judging a game by its boxart :D

Zackandwiki1.jpg

Wario Land: Shake It!

This is Nintendo back at its best with 2D gaming done right. Great visuals, great gameplay, great game!

warioland.jpg

De Blob

In a world where browns and greys are the norm one game dared to be different...De Blob ( You need to say that like the voiceover guy from the film trailers for full effect :D ) Easily one of the best games of this generation IMO, its such a breath of fresh air, shame it didn't do the numbers it deserved.

deblob.jpg

LostWinds- Opening Theme

I love this tune that plays at the start and throughout. Its so relaxing and really captures the tone of the game.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

StarFox- Smash Bros Brawl Remix

I have the Smash CD in the car when im driving and I usually skip straight to this one as it gets me pumped up, not sure if thats a good thing when im driving though...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Sweet stuff here!

Super Mario Galaxy

Egg_planet.PNG

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070826102251837_640w.jpg

Spyborgs

spyborgs-20090602052134475_640w.jpg

Spyborg.jpg

Note: The Following titles don't exist. But I'll post 'em anyway.

Red Steel 2

RedSteel2Game.jpg

A Boy and His Blob

a-boy-and-his-blob-20090304101130076_640w.jpg

I'll post some snazzy tunes soon.

Edited by LostOverThere

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Gusty Garden Galaxy. (Super Mario Galaxy)

Best piece of music to come out of Nintendo for years.

This, and Super Mario Galaxy's visuals are to me, by far, the best eye candy on the Wii.

Note: The Following titles don't exist. But I'll post 'em anyway.

I'm pretty sure the titles do exist.

I agree with everyone so far, lots of memorable musics and great art style in Wii games. This kind of thread frustrates me because I can't remember all of the times I've been impressed so I'll just keep adding to this post every time I remember.

Smash Bros probably has the best sound track ever made ("Of All Time!!") and I can't post them all so I'll just post the ones I like most.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Star Wolf

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gourmet Race

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

World of Goo is one of the best games I ever played and the OST is up there with the best, and its FREE!.

World of Goo - Ode to the Bridge Builder

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

World of Goo - Are You Coming Home, Love MOM

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

World of Goo - Red Carpet Extend-o-Matic

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

One not yet mentioned from Mario Galaxy and possibly my favourite from the game.

Super Mario Galaxy - Buoy Base Galaxy

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

No More Heroes's main theme and all its iterations are really catchy.

No More Heroes - Main Theme

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

ahh the music was the very best part of SSBB

Love those tetris and luigis mansion themes

opoona opoona opoona and opoona.

Music = Awesome

Graphics = Nice

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

opoona2.jpg

People really need to buy this game, it's games like this that make me love the Wii :D

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Wii Music Theme.

Brilliant when the Bass/Drums kick in. Typical Nintendo - brilliant melody and when you play along it makes the game worth 20 notes on it's own.

I hear you Bro. :bowdown:

Great thread tapedeck. icon14.gif

When it comes to visuals I reckon it can be pretty clean-cut as to what is considered admirable. But with music it's a lot more personal. And I'm quite sure my musical taste is very different to that of your average, (stereotypical heavy metal loving) gamer. :heh: So I'll be focusing on la musica in this post.

WARNING!!

90%[/hr]

Hoop Dance - Wii Fit

Couldn't find a clean version of this on YouTube, so I uploaded my own. It's just such a sublime track, make sure you listen to the entire thing though. When it all comes together at 1:34, wow! Complete brilliance.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Daisy Circuit - Mario Kart Wii

I adore this piece of music, it's absolutely beautiful. Evokes feelings of driving by the seafront on a sunny day. :love: Easily my favourite new MK Wii song.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

SNES Mario Circuit 3 - Mario Kart Wii

Too good to leave this one off the list. The original composer of the SMK soundtrack, Soyo Oka is an absolute legend, such a shame she left Nintendo. :cry:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Maple Treeway - Mario Kart Wii

Very unusual piece of music for a MK game (like quite a few tracks on the Wii version really) but it works perfectly and I love it.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Main Theme - Wii Shop Channel

Kazumi Totaka is a genius, simple as that. Most people just hear elevator music, I hear elevator music taking me to heaven. :grin:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Splashback - deBlob

This blows my mind every time I hear it. Pure, un-adulterated, Funk! :bouncy:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Un Pasado Lleno de Colores - deBlob

My jaw literally hit the floor when I first heard this song while playing deBlob, insanely good latin track in a videogame!? Yep.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

DB 606 - deBlob

Really and truly I could have included the entire deBlob soundtrack here bar like 1 or 2 tracks, it's that good! This one is another of my favourites though.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

The Classroom - Charged Football

So smooth and chilled, yet somehow still got a very upbeat vibe. Really nice funk track.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Battlerock galaxy - Mario Galaxy

Tapey already mentioned Gusty Garden, a track that can almost move me to tears and easily the best of the Galaxy set. So this'll be my choice, also a very epic piece.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Mt Lava Lava - Wario Land Shake

Some hardcore funk here, simply awesome! Got the organ going and everything.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

The Pirate Shop - Wario Land Shake

Nintendo rocking the talk box!? :o I say wow!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Sneak Peak Return - Wario Land Shake

Wario Land: 70's cop show. Love it! :D

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

LaunchPad LabyRinth - Wario Land Shake

Not content with wowing me with the funk, Wario Land then hits me with some Latin awesomeness too! K.O!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Critics Choice - HotD Overkill

Instrumental version, minus the pottymouth. :laughing:

Yet more funk! As a huge fan on the genre I'm loving the amount of funk music that is making its way into games these days. Overkill was sensational in this regard, this track is my fave.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Mario Circuit Remix - Brawl

Very nice take on the Mario Circuit theme, adding some SNES SMK sound effects is the icing on an already delicious cake.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Waluigi Pinball Remix - Brawl

Prefer the original DS version, but this even more mental remix is still brilliant. And there are some almost C64 SID chip sounding parts in there at points. Bonus!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Animal Crossing Medley- Brawl

Lovely stuff, happiness in song form. Sticking a montuno in was a stroke of genius too.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Smooth Sherbet - SMB Banana Blitz

This one just sums up classic SEGA perfectly for me, Sweet, sweet bass line. Such an immensely energetic and uplifting track. :yay:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Bonus Stage - SMB Banana Blitz

Banana Blitz actually had quite a few quality tracks, here's another great one. Best use of the whistle since Donut Plains on SMK.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Blue Ridge City - Disaster

Reminds me a bit of the music from Jet Force Gemini, got that vibe to it anyway. It's pretty damn incredible when the horns kick in. And hair-raising stuff if played nice and loud, the way it should be.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

Ride!! - Mad World

Hip Hop although semi-derived from Funk is not my really my bag, but this has got some nice stuff going on with the samples, funky guitar riff FTW! Great bass line too so I can digg it. Always good to expand your musical horizons a bit.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

90%[/hr]

So to summarise, Wii music = phenomenal. That's right, both of them. Music on Wii and Wii Musicâ„¢. ;)

But yeah, looking back on that list I'm pretty amazed at just how good it has been so far. Personally I've been spoiled rotten as far as my own musical tastes are concerned, which is very nice. The list could've been so much longer too, a lot longer. Kororinpa would definitely have featured but I can't find my faves on YouTube as there's hardly any stuff from it on there (what a surprise :indeed:) and I can't be arsed to upload any more.

There are probably quite a few games I'm forgetting about too, not to mention the stuff I've not discovered yet!

Whoa! Big post for me, I better have a sit down. :heh:

Keep the Pics and Music coming people!

: peace:

Great idea for a thread!! And thanks Killer Kirby for reminding me I NEED to play Opoona :)

Super Mario Galaxy

Starbit Festival

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Stepping out into the starry night with an illuminated castle and beautiful reflection on the lake was one of those moments of true Nintendo magic. The whole soundtrack of Galaxy is a tour de force of memorable melodies and infectious rhythms. Mahito Yokota has continued Koji Kondo's classic style perfectly, and what a brilliant orchestrator he is (perhaps they should let him in on the act for Zelda Wii :))! This track is actually a clever variation on 'Peach's Castle' from Mario 64.

Good choice Redshell on Battlerock! I was going to do that one myself. I love the way it combines sci-fi elements with Spanish / Latin rhythms; an odd combo on paper, but it works brilliantly (as also heard in Gusty Garden and Melty Molten).

Mario Kart Wii

Moo Moo Meadows

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Coconut Mall

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Asuka Ohta excelled herself with this soundtrack. Such a mix of different styles, yet all with that familiar Mario-ish sound and all infuriatingly catchy!

Mario Strikers Charged

Opening Scene

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Recognisably an elder sibling to the Wii's Punch-Out music, this track creates such a sense of anticipation. I even enjoy the intermingling of the voices and effects - though it would be nice to hear it 'clean', but short of Nintendo releasing an official soundtrack I don't think that's possible. Does anyone happen to know the names of the composer(s) at Next Level Games?

Wii Sports Resort

Main Theme

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The 'Wii' franchise of games clearly has its own easygoing musical identity, and this most recent variation might be my favourite. Was going to include the Swordplay Showdown music too but I couldn't find it.

Credits

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Beginning with the ingeniously simple but harmonically ambiguous Metroid motif from the very first game, and a full statement of the Corruption theme, the music segues into a beautiful elegiac piece that highlights the ethereal (synth) female vocals. I enjoyed it so much that it made up for the otherwise disappointing end sequence :)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Unfounded Revenge / Smashing Song of Praise

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Couldn't resist adding some of my favs from Brawl! Love the intricacy in this mischievious, scherzo-like piece.

Encounter

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Nonchalant and exciting at the same time - very effective take on a classic track.

Checker Knights

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Wow! Such poise! This is another of those minor key heroic themes I adore.

Edited by Lens of Truth
More added

Credits

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Beginning with the ingeniously simple but harmonically ambiguous Metroid motif from the very first game, and a full statement of the Corruption theme, the music segues into a beautiful elegiac piece that highlights the ethereal (synth) female vocals. I enjoyed it so much that it made up for the otherwise disappointing end sequence :)

Every time I hear this music it dawns on my that Metroid Prime saga is over... ;_;

The ending didn't give much closure but this song made up for it.

opoona opoona opoona and opoona.

Music = Awesome

Graphics = Nice

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

wow, I've never played Opoona but that's an amazing peice of music.

Super Mario Galaxy

super-mario-galaxy-20070711110616131_640w.jpg

Zack and Wiki

zack-wiki-quest-for-barbaros-treasure-20071022041814251.jpg

Lost Winds

lostwinds-screens-20080512100503254_640w.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy Music - Melty Molten Galaxy

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Super Mario Galaxy - Final Bowser Battle

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Super Mario Galaxy - Honeyhive Galaxy

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Mario Kart Wii - Moonview Highway

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Mario Kart Wii - SNES Battle

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Mario Kart Wii - Rainbow Road

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Final Destination

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Luigi's Mansion Theme -

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - (Zelda) The Dark World

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

the-conduit-20090514022043644-000.jpg

The game's actual graphics engine was very good, its just the art wasn't quite up to par. But the last few levels actually had decent art, so I'll go with that.

My choice in audio would have to be the Zelda main theme remix in Brawl.

Shouldn't this be Music/Graphics. Everyone here coming up with Audio related stuff is music.

Nah, some games have astounding sound effects and make great use of the wii remote speaker. Thought I'd leave it open to discuss. :wink:

Shouldn't this be Music/Graphics. Everyone here coming up with Audio related stuff is music.

Music isn't Audio.....dearlord stop the presses.

Audio is an overhead term that will allow people either come up with music or smaller audio effects like voice work or different sound clips.

It would make more sense to have Visual Presentation/Audio rather than Graphics even since something like NMH or Madworld is more style than graphic powerhouses, but no ones complaining but you and you've gone the wrong direction.

I would like to say I'm not just trying to troll this thread by not contributing screens or music, but I just can't think of anything, well other than the NMH soundtrack in whole.

Good choice Redshell on Battlerock! I was going to do that one myself. I love the way it combines sci-fi elements with Spanish / Latin rhythms; an odd combo on paper, but it works brilliantly (as also heard in Gusty Garden and Melty Molten).
Yeah the entire Mario Galaxy soundtrack is just sensational at the end of the day.

I don't imagine we'll get such high quality orchestrated music from Nintendo again until the next instalment or new Zelda, which I'm guessing/hoping they'll give the same kind of treatment. :)

Does anyone happen to know the names of the composer(s) at Next Level Games?
• Music Composition

Mike Peacock (Next Level Games)

Darren Radtke (Next Level Games)

Chad York (Next Level Games)

• Additional Music

Scott Mcfadyen (Next Level Games)

Davor Vulama (Next Level Games)

Wii Sports Resort

Main Theme

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The 'Wii' franchise of games clearly has its own easygoing musical identity, and this most recent variation might be my favourite. Was going to include the Swordplay Showdown music too but I couldn't find it.

Lovely track. I really like how it morphs into a jazz version on the fly when you go past the title screen to select an event too. :cool:

Super Mario Galaxy

super-mario-galaxy-20070711110616131_640w.jpg

I don't think I'll ever forget my first encounter with that particular section of the game, so utterly bonkers, yet so beautiful and impressive. :love:

Mario Kart Wii - SNES Battle

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Another Soyo Oka classic!

17 years on and still rocking! :yay:

This thread has turned out to be great. It's even more assuring to know how good Red Steel 2, Darkside Chronicles, Silent Hill: SM, Dead Space: E, SMG2, and the likes are looking as well.

I'm pretty sure the titles do exist.

Aaahhhh...You know what I meant though. I'm terrible at what I do. D:

Top 3, Maybe not what you are expecting.

---------===---------

1) The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Hyrule Field Morning Theme

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Played once a day for only 37 seconds. Simply a beautiful short piece that enchants and awakes.

---------===---------

2) Wii Console

Wii Shopping Channel Music

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Nintendo prove that even with limitations they can produce something special. Slightly elevator-ish but I wish they had it in every store.

---------===---------

3) The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Opening Theme

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

There is something quite magical about this opening, or it could be just the nostalgia of remembering when I first got my Wii. Either way, awesome track.

---------===---------

1) Super Mario Galaxy

106129-1-1.jpg

Well maybe not a surprise here but simply gorgeous and incredibly cute throughout. Polished!

---------===---------

2) The Legend Of Zelda : Twilight Princess

zelda-tp-8.jpg

I don't think this has been mentioned on here yet and while it certainly is no PS3/360 title it does, at times, stop you and make you look.

---------===---------

3) Lost Winds

lostwinds.jpg?t=1242855860

It might t be just the ridiculous cuteness of this which appeals to me however there is rarely a WiiWare title that looks, and plays, better than a full release.

Edited by Fresh

I'll spare you the pics and sounds. I bet you know well enough what I mean when I mention these games:

Visual:

• Super Mario Galaxy(D'uh!)
  • Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (GC-port, but awesome up to this day!)
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (D'uh again)
  • Wario Land: The Shake Dimension (Sweet 2D-goodness)
  • MadWorld (Black & White gaming - very stylish indeed)
  • Okami (PS2-port, sure, but how awesome)

Audio:

• De Blob (No clip can do this justice. Interactive, dynamic and funky music)
  • No More Heroes (Great voice-acting)
  • Dragon Quest Swords (Surprisingly good voice-acting)

Edited by Strange Cookie