NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Sega's Meeting With Sony Leaked (PS2 Emulation)

GAMEZINE - SEGA has let a pretty fat cat out of the bag by releasing confidential notes from a meeting with Sony Computer Entertainment America.

Sony wants to release all PS2 games on the PlayStation 3, according to a meeting between SEGA America and SCEA.

The meeting was held on August 5th, with comments regarding SEGA's PS3 and PSP releases, as well as Sony's plans for the console in the near future.

There's mention of a big announcement at the back half of this year, which we now know is the PS3 Slim and price cut. However, there's finally confirmation that Sony is interested in emulating all PlayStation 2 games.

The notes reveal that "SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN." Whether this will come as a case by case basis, like the God of War remastering, or that Sony is creating a universal emulator for all PS3 models is unknown. We'd personally expect the former, since Grand Theft Auto Vice City is a specific title mentioned.

Since this meeting was held in August of this year, the PS3 Slim and its hardware would have been in the company's mind - so there must be plans to overcome the difficulties of the missing PS2 GPU.

There's also mention of how these games would be marketed, with PS3 controllers shown in PS2 TV ads.

The link to this confidential information, which was on SEGA's personal FTP, is now broken.

SCEA Meeting Aug 5th Notes

Aug 6 2009 – DRAFT FOR COMMENTS

Objectives of Meeting

Dyer agreed to regular quarterly meetings with SOA

Sony PS3

SCEA reiterated plans to sell 13 million PS3s this year

Big announcement back half of year they can’t talk about (potentially price cut of PS3 to reach hardware goals)

SCEA commented on indexing between PS3 and 360 SKUs, should be around 2:1 to garner most favorable treatment.

Motion Controller

Spring 2010 launch (March in JP)

No bundle/pricing details yet, should come Sept 1

Plan on selling 4-5MM units WW

SCEA agreed to provide a list of Sega IP that would work well with the motion controller, Virtua Tennis was an example

Motion Controller support allows easy way to differentiate PS3 SKU

Other differentiation opportunities include PSP/PS3 interoperability – think of features that would make users want to buy both PS3 and PSP SKUs.

Alpha Protocol

Michael Foster, product evaluator, said AP felt barely RPG. Initial level too challenging for players. “Mass Effect felt more RPG.”

Review notes sent to John Merlino a few weeks prior. After meeting Gerald mentioned AP is a high priority for his team.

Planet 51

Sell in of PS3 SKU – SCEA noted that other movie titles on PS3 had underperformed as well (inc. Transformers) this cycle.

Dyer suggests contacting Susan at Walmart and asking what she wants in the pack to sell this SKU (movie tix etc)

Other possibilities are Hybrid movie disc (BD 25 or 50 with Game and Movie on same disc).

Bayonetta

Collectors edition with Bayonetta Action Figure

Novo recommended launching PSN demo around Xmas based off a Jan 5th Ship date with 2-3 week run out to launch.

3-4 weeks is usually ideal demo timing with fresh content every week leading up to launch (trailers, insider video about PG heritage, video blogs).

Vancouver 2010

HOME, Olympic destination would garner a lot of positive attention from SCEA

Should be doing same with Bayonetta, Marvel etc. Easy to launch in all territories.

HOME merchandizing opportunities (clothes etc).

Sonic Racing

Open to DLC to differentiate PS3 SKU – not ratchet and clank but other characters

maybe characters from Rare or Fable universes

Yakuza

Could put Japanese games directly on PSN for download in a special Japanese Import section (pricing $9.99 to $39.99 for full game).

Might need to localize menus at least with subtitles.

SCEA interested in helping on MKTG side if they can have period of exclusivity.

AVP

Another great HOME candidate

AVP avatars

Hybrid BD disc with movie

Iron Man 2

Great candidate for HOME space – explore Tony Stark’s lab etc.

Should have one for Marvel in general.

PSU2

Could do bundle at GameStop with PSP 30-35K units on UMD, Go, or both.

Valkyria 1937

Could bundle with PSP as well.

Vanquish and Aliens: CM

Opportunity for PS3/PSP interoperability (see Eidos Batman, Army of Two, Assassin’s Creed for good examples).

If we offer that SCEA would be really interested in having us at their booth next E3.

Thor

SCEA would like a look at the code soon.

Sonic Anniversary

Could put out collectors edition with all old sonic games on one BD disc.

“Best of Sonic” for around $99.

SCEA would love PSN exclusive power ups/different game modes (like Castlevania’s flip it over/backwards)

PS2 emulator for PS3 (confidential)

SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc)

For co Marketing money show PS3 controller on TV ads – similar to EA Madden Spots, NCAA, etc…

London Olympics

Perfect opportunity for Motion Controller integration.

DC Digital Titles

If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they’re interested in having exclusively.

If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.

PSP Titles

For SKU differentiation it’s best to offer features that are slightly different from PS3 version.

Titles that are coming up on PSP are Assassin’s Creed II, GTA China Wars, Resident Evil, Little Big Planet – all massive franchises.

SCEA has a specific PSP deck which they can send up with their hardware director for a chat.

That's great news for the PS3, but god damn, will Sony ever manage to keep something secret.

They have added this to the article now aswell:

[uPDATE] - Another exciting titbit is that SEGA could provide Sony with Dreamcast titles for the PS3.

The publisher has been tasked with providing SCEA a list of titles so that they can choose which games they're interested in having exclusively. It is further added that "if we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support."

Id actually prefer the remastered PS2 series bundles over the straight up emulation, but having both wouldnt go amiss either.

Its also good to see that Sony is hell-bent on differentiating PS3 games from 360 games, assuming this 'leak' is valid

Kinda have mixed feelings about, it was obvious that if PS2 compatablility was going to come to later models of PS3 then it was always going to be via individual PSN downloads that Sony can make profit from rather than offering you the chance to play your old games...If the pricing is competitive (something that will be hard to do with the second hand market) then its fine...but with it being Sony I can't imagine it will be, look at their ridiculous pricing for PSP games.

I'm with Pit, not fussed about straight up emulation. But re-mixes like the God of War collection, with updated visuals, Trophies, and online suport where applicable would be much better. All the Gran Turismo's or a SOCOM collection would be awesome.

Do we need a new thread for a rumour?

I'm thinking this is utter tosh until I hear otherwise.

Hopefully, it isn't.

Not surprising they cant let PS2 games stay dormant as PS3 cant emulate it without the PS2 GPU. Plus any enhancements such as resolution would really improve several games.

I think expanding PSN is good. Its one of their advantages might as well use it.

Meh, I have a PS2 already. Although it would be nice not to have to switch over every time I want to play it.

I'd quite like to see some PS2 games re-jiggered for the PSP.

Meh, I have a PS2 already. Although it would be nice not to have to switch over every time I want to play it.

I'd quite like to see some PS2 games re-jiggered for the PSP.

It's an obvious thing to say but the lack of a second analogue nub always makes this harder.

Aren't most PS2 games anywhere between 2-5gb? That would be insane if, say you wanted the PS2 GTA trilogy. You'd be downloading for a good 2 days. Sony could be responsible for the UK's broadband becoming even worse for high-end users.

Aren't most PS2 games anywhere between 2-5gb? That would be insane if, say you wanted the PS2 GTA trilogy. You'd be downloading for a good 2 days. Sony could be responsible for the UK's broadband becoming even worse for high-end users.

Id say they are more between 1 and 3 gig, plus GTA 3 and Vice City were about 600 megs each and San Andreas was around 2 gigs

Do we need a new thread for a rumour?

I'm thinking this is utter tosh until I hear otherwise.

Hopefully, it isn't.

It was on Segas press site.

The file was saved before it was taken down.

Here is an examination of the meta data in the file using a forensic exam tool. The date and time are all consistent with when it says the meeting was, but take a look at who created the document and who last edited it.

Aside from Harborneb we have Darren Wiles (UK) EDS, who seems to be someone other than harborneb. However, a search for ”Wiles, Darren (UK) EDS” in google turns up a bunch of Microsoft sites. Of course EDS is the following company, which provides business services to various companies. My verdict, this document is real.

http://www.eds.com/ owned by HP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Data_Systems

segametadata.png

Edited by Dante

Sign in to follow this