NEurope
Paj!

MUSIC WARZ 2 - Rules/Selection Thead

MUSIC WARZ 2

THE RETURN

music-notes.jpg

MUSIC WARZ recently finished, and now another one is starting! For those who didn’t take part last time, people choose a few songs, which go into an overall pool, and are “pitted against each other” 1 on 1 for your votes. Songs progress through various rounds until an eventual winner is crowned. The aim is not to say what song is “best”, as many tastes vary, and perhaps the main point is to expose us all to lots of new music people may not have heard of. This goes doubly this time round, as no artists that were entered in the last Music Warz may be selected this time around!

A Fine Frenzy

Anamanaguchi

Avril Lavigne

Bat For Lashes

Bauhaus

Bear McCreary

Bjork

Blondie

Britney Spears

CSS

Devo

Eagles Of Death Metal

Faith No More

Fallout Boy

Family Force 5

Foo Fighters

Foreign Beggars

Goldfrapp

Gong

HIM

Inner City Unit

Iron Maiden

Jeff Buckley

Kings Of Leon

Lady GaGa

Lamb

Led Zeppelin

Lemon Jelly

Lia

Linkin Park

M.I.A

Madonna

Malcolm Middleton

Maximo Park

Maximum The Hormone

Megadeth

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Oasis

The Offspring

Pixies

PJ Harvey

Placebo

Polysics

Portishead

The Postal Service

Radiohead

Rage Against The Machine

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Regina Spektor

Richard Ashcroft

Rihanna

Ruslana

Santana

Sigur Ros

Subhumans

Tegan and Sara

The Kinks

Tori Amos

Train

TV On The Radio

Yasunori Mitsuda

However, there a few changes. Firstly, there was a depressing lack of participation in matches featuring artists that not many people know of, and it was clear some people just came on to vote in the matches their favourite songs took part in. This goes against one of the points of the game, to broaden our musical horizons/try new things, so this time, by entering your choices, so are agreeing to take part in AT LEAST 50% of the matches in a round. (this percentage is open for debate, since I can’t do maths, a more appropriate one could be suggested)

Failure to do so at the end of a round means that your choices may be taken out of the competition in the next round or your vote not counted…or something. BUT if you have a realistic reason/s for not taking part (as could very easily be the case), just give me a bell and I’ll understand.

So yeah, enough rude things from me. Here are the rules for selecting songs;

1) If you choose to take part, just post saying you will, along with your 3 choices to enter the competition. Songs that are eligible are tracks that have been made commercially available. (i.e most songs, but not fanmade mixes or something. If in doubt, ask me) And no songs can be by artist in the above list.

2) You can nominate songs by an artist that someone else is nominating a song of too. It’d be better to have more variety. But not a disaster. You can always edit your choices in your original post before the game starts if you want.

3) The song must be available to hear SOMEWHERE on the net. For this contest, we’ll be supplying links as appropriate to sites like We7 and Youtube, but also Spotify. It’s your responsibility to put a song up if it’s not anywhere else. I had to do 1 or 2 last time on youtube.

Well that sounds like a teacher.

So! Get choosing! : peace:

Winner of the first Music War - Tori Amos

toriamos324324.jpg

Edited by Paj!

Count me in!

please...

my choices are...

Hounds of Love by Kate Bush

Switching Off by Elbow

Hurt by Nine Inch Nails

:D

Edited by S.C.G

I'm in this 'un, you'll be pleased to know. :heh:

The Specials - Ghost Town

Bad Manners - Special Brew

Madness - House of Fun

I choose thee!

Going for all-Ska this time around. Get. On. That.

I'd like to take part again. I do apologise for missing some of the voting as I either forgot or had other things to do.

Edit: Was rather difficult getting 3 choices as I just kept coming up with songs but these will do.

You - Evanescence

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths

Beautiful Tragedy - In This Moment

All of those have videos available on Youtube for listening/watching. All the ones for the Evanescence ones are fan made videos but they all have the correct song so it should be fine.

Edited by Ganepark32

My personal choices are;

Nashville - Liz Phair

Tristan - Patrick Wolf

Uninvited - Alanis Morissette

Edited by Paj!

Gåte - Sjå attende

Kate Voegele - No Good

Stacie Orrico - Instead

Edited by Tales

Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt- We Are Scientists

Hands Down- Dashboard Confessional

Retreat Retreat- 65daysofstatic

Might as well take part.

Don't think these will get far, but 65 is a change from all the lyricy songs!

Edited by Ellmeister

Whens the deadline for submission? Not in a level-headed frame of mind to think at present.

Also with the maths how many rounds are there? It need not be too complicated to figure it all out. In fact you could whip together a spreadsheet with a row for each participant and a column for each round and then a total box at the end and just simply put 1 for voted 0 for no and get Excel to automatically do the calculations on the fly.

(I dunno if I explained that well, as I said, my head is blurgh at present)

Screw it. Here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c218e4469b3f807f61d4646c62b381cbe04e75f6e8ebb871

As you can see, just put a person into each row and columns for each round. However you'd have to redo the calculations for the 'value' column as if you just added a column now it wouldn't make a difference. To do this click on the letter than the value column corresponds to, then the calculator and the calculation is [noparse]=(B:B+C:C+D:D...Z:Z)/4*100[/noparse]. Or I can do it if you let me know how many rounds there will be once all the noms are in.

(I love how in my effort to make things simpler I made them more complex)

Edited by Ashley

Whens the deadline for submission? Not in a level-headed frame of mind to think at present.

Also with the maths how many rounds are there? It need not be too complicated to figure it all out. In fact you could whip together a spreadsheet with a row for each participant and a column for each round and then a total box at the end and just simply put 1 for voted 0 for no and get Excel to automatically do the calculations on the fly.

(I dunno if I explained that well, as I said, my head is blurgh at present)

No I get it. That would be easiest. Last time there were effecitvely 6 rounds, with the 6th being the final. How many matches are in each round is dependant on number of participants.

Deadline will not be for a while yet. Need a good number more people to take part as well. I'll wait for you, it's alright. :)

Okay cool. And I edited my post a bit after you've seen it. But if you want me to throw together a spreadsheet let me know :)

And thanks for keeping it open. I'll probably submit before Wednesday, but I want to give it a decent think but im cloudy headed at present.

Aww....can't we submit better songs from artists who went out early in the last one?

I'm still thinking of some of them, but my first one will be:

1) Florence and The Machine - Drumming

2) Athlete - Westside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgrMCELzlnQ

3) Justice - Phantom Part 2

Edited by Cube

Okay cool. And I edited my post a bit after you've seen it. But if you want me to throw together a spreadsheet let me know :)

And thanks for keeping it open. I'll probably submit before Wednesday, but I want to give it a decent think but im cloudy headed at present.

It'd actually be awesome if you could make a spreadsheet, I don't think I have Excel on the mac, and even If I did, I can't remember how on earth to use it.

But that's not needed at all now, so just whenever would be lovely.

It'd actually be awesome if you could make a spreadsheet, I don't think I have Excel on the mac, and even If I did, I can't remember how on earth to use it.

docs.google.com

Can I just add

the calculation is =(B:B+C:C+D:D...Z:Z)/4*100.

*screams, before exploding into lavenders ribbons of rain*

I am definitely in for this. Despite not submitting choices last time I still took part in almost all of the matches. This time I'll be sure to get my choices in. Just gimme a minute or two.

YeS! I knew you would most likely add a track from Joanna Newsom Chair, hence I didn't choose one as I wouldn't deny you the pleasure of it, but damn I was tempted! :heh:

I would have nominated Only Skin, but it's too sacred. Emily is more stunning, in some respects.

I love "In the muddy mouths of baboons, and sows, and the grouse, and the horse, and the hen."

My personal choices are;

Dance Of The Seven Veils - Liz Phair

Tristan - Patrick Wolf

Uninvited - Alanis Morissette

I'm such a massive fan of Uninvited. I heard the shit dance cover first, and assumed the original was shite.

Alrighty, gonna take part in this so here´s my selection:

Frou Frou: Must Be Dreaming

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Deep Purple: Highway Star

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Motörhead: Brave New World

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Mhmm Only Skin would be the obvious choice though and stunning as it is, it'd probably be far too long so convincing people to listen to it would be hard even though it's wonderful.

But yes Emily is a beautiful track and that line has always stood out for me too, there are so many stunning lyrics in the album that different parts keep shining through with each new listen, it's truly an album that keeps on giving. :D [/YS gushing]

Retreat Retreat- 65daysofstatic

Love

Switching Off by Elbow

Love (and that video is stunning, never seen it before)

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths

LOVE. And I was totally about to nominate this myself. Great minds and all that.

I'll be taking part again. I'll have a think and add later.