NEurope
Choze

Wii Price Drop In Japan & US Confirmed

At $200 (and that includes a game) it'll be the same price as 360 arcade pack. It'll no doubt boost sales.

What's more with NSMBWii and Wii Fit Plus, it could well see Nintendo owning a third christmas in a row.

Confirmed?

wii-price-drop-confirmed.jpg

The rumors were true, and Nintendo's knight in shining armor is finally about to see its first-ever price drop. For nearly three years now, the console has sold briskly at $249.99, but beginning on September 27th at Best Buy (and everywhere else, naturally), the happy-go-lucky machine will be offered for just $199.99. Interestingly, it appears that suits at BB expect Nintendo to make an official announcement on the drop this Friday, yet retail stores won't begin selling at the discounted rate until Sunday. Something tells us that won't go over well, but we guess we've but a few days left 'til we find out exactly how the Big N plans to play this.

Again, thats not confirmation from Nintendo. That's Best Buy reducing the cost in a similar manner that Tescos, Asda etc do occasionally.

Nintendos Press Release For Japan:

This corporation had decided the manufacturer desired retail price of home video unit game machine “Wii” to reform from October 1st, present 25,000 Yen (consumption including tax) from 20,000 Yen (consumption including tax). On 2006 December 2nd at present manufacturer desired retail price 25,000 Yen the country with the shade way patronage it receives Wii which is sold, in your many customers, 2009 6 end of the month point in time (this corporation 2010 March fiscal term 1st quarter end point in time) this corporation sum total shipment sale quantity has become 8,170,000 (the entire world total 5,262 ten thousand units which include Japan) with. This corporation aims toward further wide sales with the latest price reform, in order to be accustomed “the machine which designates the people who Wii to are surrounded as the smiling face” furthermore for your many customers, starts endeavoring.

US Press Release:

Beginning Sunday, Sept. 27, the world's most popular home video game system gets even more appealing. On that day, Nintendo's suggested retail price for its record-setting Wii™ drops by $50 to $199.99. The new $199.99 Wii price point delivers the full iconic Wii gaming experience, including the motion-sensing Wii Remote™ controller, Nunchuk™ controller and Wii Sports™ software, and furthers Nintendo's mission to expand the gaming universe by making video games accessible to more and more consumers.

Wii ownership also opens an avenue for players to the industry's most diverse and unique collection of home console games. Key upcoming releases include Wii Fit™ Plus, launching on Oct. 4, and the first truly multiplayer Mario™ title ever, New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii.

Both new and veteran players in America can jump into this new Mario action when it arrives on Nov. 15.

And beginning Oct. 2, consumers in select cities will have a new, convenient way to decide which Nintendo adventure to tackle next. On that day, a novel series of sampling events called "World of Nintendo" kicks off in Long Beach, Calif.

"Wii has reached more video game players than any game system before because it attracts everyone—both men and women, and people of all ages," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Our research shows there are 50 million Americans thinking about becoming gamers, and this more affordable price point and our vast array of new software mean many of them can now make the leap and find experiences that appeal to them, whatever their tastes or level of gaming experience."

The inherent social nature of Wii is fully demonstrated in a groundbreaking way with New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the first Mario game ever to allow four players to take part in the action at the same time. That same dynamic is propelling the enthusiastic response for Wii Sports Resort™, while the release of Wii Fit Plus includes everything you love about Wii Fit™, along with new multiplayer elements and the ability to customize workouts to fit individual needs.

See below for full details on the World of Nintendo events that are scheduled to take place in Long Beach, Philadelphia and New York throughout the month of October.

Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other Wii features, visit Wii.com.

For more information about New Super Mario Bros. Wii, visit http://www.MarioBrosWii.com.

KEY Wii SOFTWARE RELEASES

Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - Available Now

Guitar Hero 5 (Activision) - Available Now

The Beatles: Rock Band (EA) - Available Now

Metroid™ Prime: Trilogy (Nintendo) - Available Now

Dead Space Extraction (EA) - Sept. 29

Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - Oct. 4

Star Wars The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes (LucasArts) - Oct. 6

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (SEGA) - Oct. 13

Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 (Konami) - Nov. 3

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex (Activision) - Nov. 10

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - Nov. 15

EA Sports Active More Workouts (EA) - Nov. 17

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Capcom) - Nov. 17

LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues (LucasArts) - Nov. 17

James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (Ubisoft) - Nov. 24

WORLD OF NINTENDO CONSUMER SAMPLING TOUR

In video game aisles, shelves are filled with hundreds of choices. Online, differentiating between thousands of alternatives is nearly impossible. For players, the ideal option would be the chance to see just those titles you're most interested in—and then grab the controller and take them for a test drive.

That solution springs to life next month as World of Nintendo sampling events pop up in three cities. Among the hit Nintendo titles to be included:

For Wii:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, Punch-Out!!™ and WiiWare™ titles

Europe Press Release?

North American and Japanese discount official; Euro details still unknown

The anticipated Wii price cut has at last been made official, with drops for machine in both North America and Japan due to come into effect.

As has been speculated, the price of the Wii in the US will drop from its current $249 to $199 from September 27th.

In Japan the console now retails for Y5,000 less at Y20,000.

This brings Nintendo’s console in line with Microsoft’s entry-level Xbox 360 Arcade in the US and $100 below the asking price of a PS3 Slim.

Nintendo has not yet made any announcement regarding its European intentions, though MCV hopes to have more concrete news very shortly.

Press releases at the same time as Sonys TGS Keynote. :p

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

I noticed Avatar on the release list, I thought that was 360/PS3 only?

There is an "un-3D" version coming for Wii. So although we get the game, it wont appear in the awesome that is 3D. (By 3D I mean, 3D cinema, not 3D 'models')

While its obviously a good move, its not as brave as i would've hoped. A further $50 off wouldve been a phenomenon offer for the Christmas period.

In america the wii is $100 for used.

Don't tell anyone, but... it's the same everywhere in the world. Shhhh...

The European deal is hilarious.. Instead of reducing the price of the Wii, they've just bundled in another Wii Sports game with Motion Plus, which should come with the console anyway. No thanks!

IGN Wii --

Nintendo's Wii console became the latest piece of gaming hardware to receive a price cut in the US, and the cut is to be reflected in the UK – although the Wii will only fall back to the point it enjoyed before this year's controversial price hike.

While it's been cut to 199.99 USD in the States, it's going to retain its 179.99 GBP price tag in the UK. However, the reduction in the trade price means it's now going to come in an attractive bundle, with the Motion Plus peripheral and Wii Sports Resort added to the existing package.

The changes come in to effect on October 2.

Wii Sports Resort + 2nd MotionPlus Bundle

Wii Sports Resort™ is all about getting multiple people involved in friendly sporting competitions. Starting Oct. 12, consumers will have even more incentive to get in on the fun when Nintendo releases a special, limited-edition bundle of the Wii Sports Resort game and not one but two Wii MotionPlus™ accessories, which bring enhanced precision to games.

The bundle will be available at a suggested retail price of $59.99. Typically, Wii Sports Resort comes with a single Wii MotionPlus unit at a suggested retail price of $49.99, and additional Wii MotionPlus units are available at a suggested retail price of $19.99.

“Shoppers are looking for value as we head into the holiday season, and this Wii Sports Resort bundle is a gift that players of all ages and experience levels can enjoy,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Best of all, it instantly gets multiple members of the household engaged in playing as soon as the package is opened.”

The new bundle will be available while supplies last at most major retailers.

Through the end of August, Wii Sports Resort has already sold more than 1.25 million units in the United States alone, according to the NPD Group. Nearly 2.9 million Wii MotionPlus accessories are in the hands of the public. That includes all those sold with Wii Sports Resort, standalone sales of 1.36 million and an additional 257,000 bundled with Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10.

That's very fair if it really does include Wii Sports Resort and Motion Plus. Time to get one! Perfect timing as I'm just at the end of Echoes (the final last-gen game I wanted to play) :)

The price in euros has dropped to 200€, does anyone know if that includes wii sports resort as well?

The European deal is hilarious.. Instead of reducing the price of the Wii, they've just bundled in another Wii Sports game with Motion Plus, which should come with the console anyway. No thanks!

Well yeah, but you and me or almost anyone on this forum are not their targets. We already got the Wii.

Well, I bought one! £179.99 in GAME with Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort and MotionPlus (all included in the actual box - it's a nice, official new bundle) + Super Mario Strikers and Super Mario Kart.

I don't want the last two, but I was chuffed with that deal.

Well, I bought one! £179.99 in GAME with Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort and MotionPlus (all included in the actual box - it's a nice, official new bundle) + Super Mario Strikers and Super Mario Kart.

Wise up, you do want Mario Kart! :hehe: (and probably Strikers as well...!)

I'd be very tempted to open Mario Kart if it didn't have the weapons. Hmm...

There's no rush, as I've got Metroid Prime 3 and that's what I'm going to play first! Wheehee!

Like darksnowman said, YOU DO WANT MARIO KART!!! :D

I'd be very tempted to open Mario Kart if it didn't have the weapons. Hmm...

OPEN THE DAMN GAME!!!! :laughing: and join the N-Europe MK league! :bouncy:

Wise up, you do want Mario Kart! :hehe: (and probably Strikers as well...!)

Like darksnowman said, YOU DO WANT MARIO KART!!! :D

OPEN THE DAMN GAME!!!! :laughing: and join the N-Europe MK league! :bouncy:

It's nice to feel wanted! Seriously though, even if it was F-Zero, I couldn't join you guys online, what with my internet set-up.

I had a quick go with Wii Sports Resort, and MotionPlus is fantastic! Skydiving, it did exactly what my wrist was doing. Swordfighting works like a dream too. It just feels right. Definitely, definitely needed in the next Zelda if it uses motion control at all.