NEurope

No university for myself this year :( Visited Keele and found out the closest accommodation was 6/7 miles away in Stoke. The staff were very unhelpful and the campus wasn't great either. The place also had a funny smell to it, so I decided not to go after all, all things considered =P.

So I have decided I shall be applying to university again this year. Doing some A levels to pass the time, History and Law in a year. Always resented the fact I didn't study History and I'm loving it at the moment.

Hopefully I'll be able to get into Durham this time around with the University applications. Almost want to try for LSE, but there are things putting me off, such as London itself. Visiting Stirling on Wednesday and very interested to see what that place is like. Anywhere has to be better than Keele o_O

Thats interesting when I was at college Keele had a massively good reputation whereas stafford wasn't, weird!

Thats interesting when I was at college Keele had a massively good reputation whereas stafford wasn't, weird!

I've heard it's good academically and is pretty great if you live on the campus. But I couldn't and that's the reason I didn't go. The campus might have seemed nicer on a different day but there was just something about the place I didn't like at the time. Perhaps it would seem nicer when it is busier.

*is nosey* Who, who?? Good on her in any case.

The went to Roundwood (ie the best school in town)...

I'm starting my second year of the course I hate this year.

My accomodation is about a 5 minute walk away from the building I'll probably be spending most of my time in. I'm loving that it's near the town centre so I should hopefully be able to get a job.

To those who're starting: try and make friends other than your flat mates and those on your course; do extra activities, etc.

When moving into the accomodation everyone is like 'we're meeting for the first time so I'll put on my 'meet for the first time' face'. Then after that inital meeting their real personas come out to play and then you realise how much you really hate them. If you're lucky you'll have some sound flatmates who you'll live with the next year. Other than that you'll find that the others do things that really annoy you.

The people who're on your course might be cool to hang around with because they're doing the same thing as you and you all have the same interest, but you might not want to be totally surrounded by it.

This might just be me and my course experience but I found my extra Japanese lessons took my mind off everything else, even the course itself which sounds quite bad.

(Totally thinking if this year is shit then I'm off to Sheffield next year to do Japanese, yeah!)

Back up! Back up like you've never backed up before!!!

Well, heh-heh, I don't know how. :blush:

Meh, it's no biggie. Aside from the anime, there's really nothing on this little git; no pr0n, no schoolgirl lesbian hentai, nothing. ::shrug:

If I lose anything, I won't care. Unless what I lose is the laptop itself! :mad:

Students and especially student houses are seen as easy targets though. If you think about it, you basically have a bunch of naive, vulnerable kids living away from home for the first time. They will likely have a poor grasp on security etc and that makes a student house easy to knock over. It's a goldmine too- they could lift five laptops from each house or five televisions etc.

One friend of mine (in Newcastle at the time) got done by a syndicate working with a mini cab company. She went out with her friends for a club night and when the driver picked them up (emptying the house) the driver tipped off some thieves who waltzed in and cleared them out knowing they wouldn't be disturbed.

Any girls reading this, then watch out for Fresher-Prowlers, basically 2nd and 3rd years who are looking for poor, drunk Freshers.

Heh heh heh. Guess where I've been the past 2 nights with my mates. We seem to find that people love us because we're in 3rd year now and hold onto everything we say. We started a party in some randoms halls last night after the union closed. Had a great time. We're all 'taken' though so weren't really preying on them as much as we would have otherwise. Nicola's away in Canada until December so I like to flirt lots with girls but never do anything.

Visiting Stirling on Wednesday and very interested to see what that place is like. Anywhere has to be better than Keele o_O

Stirling is a great uni but the place isn't. It's only a city because it won a competition to make it into a city. The town is tiny, the uni is a bit outside the centre and takes a good while to walk in. There are only 3 clubs and all of them are awful. Very few bars and things either.

Unless you absolutely want to do the course at Stirling I really wouldn't recommend it as the town is terrible. Most people think Glasgow is bad in the middle of the night but I feel much safer walking in Glasgow by myself at 3am than I do in Stirling at 3am.

I heard that Keele had the highest suicide rate in the country for all Uni's a few years ago. I only know because mine had it the year before but Keele took the title from us. That was a fair few years ago now though...

Students and especially student houses are seen as easy targets though. If you think about it, you basically have a bunch of naive, vulnerable kids living away from home for the first time. They will likely have a poor grasp on security etc and that makes a student house easy to knock over. It's a goldmine too- they could lift five laptops from each house or five televisions etc.

One friend of mine (in Newcastle at the time) got done by a syndicate working with a mini cab company. She went out with her friends for a club night and when the driver picked them up (emptying the house) the driver tipped off some thieves who waltzed in and cleared them out knowing they wouldn't be disturbed.

This is what i'm afraid of, if I go to university.

I heard that Keele had the highest suicide rate in the country for all Uni's a few years ago. I only know because mine had it the year before but Keele took the title from us. That was a fair few years ago now though...

Hahaha lol. They keep track of stats like this :laughing:

Not including when Reggies place got ransacked, just because somebody left the back door open!

This is why I want my hosuemates using the alarm, but will they...grr.

Alot of the time you can actually get insurance for just your stuff through your parents insurance, for those with alot of stuff its worth looking into! Either that or just take insurance out yourself.

I'd say try and get a student house a bit away from the university, so it's not in the typical student area. For one thing the rent is usually cheaper, the landlords aren't dodgy, the houses aren't like slums and you're going to be less likely to be robbed. The only drawback is extra distance you have to go. I knew loads of people that got houses about five minutes from the university and lived in tiny cramped rooms and got robbed a couple of times. We lived about 20 minutes away and had lovely double beds and never had any trouble. Well apart from one housemate walked into his room to find a kid climbing through his bedroom window, but that was his fault for leaving it wide open all day.

Also, alarms are a bad idea when you all come back pissed at three in the morning and can't remember the code. :laughing:

Also, alarms are a bad idea when you all come back pissed at three in the morning and can't remember the code. :laughing:

I live three women, one doesn't drink at all, the other usually out with me anyway and the third doesn't drink either. So its not really a problem.

I'm moving into halls for my first year at Brighton Uni on saturday morning. Scared shitless I've forgotten to buy something vital. I moved out of my parents home three years ago, you'd think I'd have/remembered to buy everything you need to live somewhere. Also, packing. ARGH.

Ah I'm back at strath uni for a second year, I took a year out for money basically.

I'm kinda can't wait until I'm back but I don't know why, its not as if anything is going to change. Still going to end up in the counting-house (pub near the uni) with mates for lunch and hardly ever go in especially when the loan comes in :P

Although I will try and go in as much as I can. I'm actually really interested in the sub-topics I was able to choose myself

Edited by Sooj

I've heard it's good academically and is pretty great if you live on the campus. But I couldn't and that's the reason I didn't go. The campus might have seemed nicer on a different day but there was just something about the place I didn't like at the time. Perhaps it would seem nicer when it is busier.

I got the same impression when I visited, I just didn't get a good feel for the place. In the end I decided to go to Hull and haven't regretted it at all, while the city isn't the greatest I love the uni and the people. Plus they have let me come here to Macquarie Uni for a year!

Just checked my timetable and I have no lectures on Monday and Friday.

Not sure I like that. I might change module so I have something on Monday. I was thinking of changing anyway.

Just got my final year timetable through - looks like I've got a monday 9am lecture. Lovely. Other than that though I don't have much - the joys of doing English Lit is that they give you plenty of free time to read/write!

Just checked my timetable and I have no lectures on Monday and Friday.

Not sure I like that. I might change module so I have something on Monday. I was thinking of changing anyway.

I'm delighted that I have both Monday's and Friday's off! 4 day weekend!

I like/love the Friday off but I'd rather have something on Monday otherwise I'm going to have to find some other motivation to lock myself in the library.

I'm pretty much going to be in every day even though I don't have to.

Just got my final year timetable through - looks like I've got a monday 9am lecture. Lovely. Other than that though I don't have much - the joys of doing English Lit is that they give you plenty of free time to read/write!

I remember in my first year I had 4-5 hours of lectures and labs pretty much every day and my housemate who was doing music had 8 hours a week. In the 3rd year he had 4 hours a week.

I remember in my first year I had 4-5 hours of lectures and labs pretty much every day and my housemate who was doing music had 8 hours a week. In the 3rd year he had 4 hours a week.

My first year I had about 12 a week, 2nd I had about 8 hours a week. This year I've got 7 hours.

Unlike other courses where if you don't have much classes you generally have a lot of work to do, I've got nothing to do when I'm not in. 3 classes first semester, just one essay for each one.

And this is the best business school in Scotland and top5 in the UK?

heh. I have more than that on my first day never mind week.

I'm not complaining though. I want to be working hard and I expect I'll be working like it's a 9-5