NEurope

Well im off to start at Leeds in 3 days. Anyone else starting? Any freshers tips ect?

Ikea is officially my favorite place in the world.

*Hopes this thread hasn't already been made*

I think there is a university thread, but I think it was mostly for last year stuff?

Freshers ideas:

- Always set more aside for freshers week, its expensive and alot of drinking will be involved

- get yourself a food card, sainsburies do them, that way you can seperate money each week for food

- eat before you go food shopping, stops cravings and you buy proper food.

- Always go to clubs earlier than they open during freshers week, its usually a pain to get in otherwise!

Oh and I LOVE this site:

http://www.studentrecipes.com/

I'm off to St. Andrews on saturday which I'm really pumped for.

I think it was Gizmo who said he might be going next year, so if you have any questions mate, just give me a holla.

I got a job today at a hotel there but I'm wondering what you guys think is the right amount of hours I should be doing in 1st year? The hotel wants me doing 20 hours, £5.73 a hour so it isn't bad pay, its kitchen portering but I'm not really that bothered.

How much do you guys reckon you went through on freshers? hopefully i can keep it to under £150 but some of the stuff is pretty pricey.

Don't be silly; get as trashed as you can and live to regret it. That's my recommendation.

Don't be silly; get as trashed as you can and live to regret it. That's my recommendation.

You still enjoying uni? Oh wait ... you're a drop out. :heh:

But I look back on the time spent getting heavily drunk with good memories, unlike those spent wasting time in the lecture halls with lecturers not really teaching us what we were there to learn :heh:

I miss halls. *sniff*

Tips: Don't spend loads of money on drink: is pointless and a waste of money.

Tips:

• Ignore Wesley.

Also take advantage of everything you can, you can't go back and wish you went!

Don't join tooooooo many clubs and pay them, going to be a waste of money. Was for me!

I'm at Wolverhampton Uni now. The drinks are pretty cheap - £1.20 for the big club in the town. There is something on almost everyday. If you can't get out at night make sure you do something, make a list of what is on and go do it, even if you are alone.

Cheap drinks nights will ALWAYS be rammed. Drink at home plenty first, and buy multiple drinks at once to save having to queue up again for ten fucking minutes.

The 'friends' you make in your first week are more than likely going to dissapear in no time. Be patient, you have three years and everyone is in the same boat as you.

Really, really do watch your money. At least tell yourself not to spend more than £x a week, and don't feel like you have to go to every night out ever, because there are clubs open every night. Try to consider the nightlife as something always there for you when you want it.

Find gamer buddies and stick with them! Learn the joys of drinking indoors, and be aware that most people in halls are going to be dicks, all hyper about being away from parental supervision.

And stuff.

I'm off to St. Andrews on saturday which I'm really pumped for.

I think it was Gizmo who said he might be going next year, so if you have any questions mate, just give me a holla.

I got a job today at a hotel there but I'm wondering what you guys think is the right amount of hours I should be doing in 1st year? The hotel wants me doing 20 hours, £5.73 a hour so it isn't bad pay, its kitchen portering but I'm not really that bothered.

How much do you guys reckon you went through on freshers? hopefully i can keep it to under £150 but some of the stuff is pretty pricey.

Cool. What you going to be studying?

Cheap drinks nights will ALWAYS be rammed. Drink at home plenty first, and buy multiple drinks at once to save having to queue up again for ten fucking minutes.

The 'friends' you make in your first week are more than likely going to dissapear in no time. Be patient, you have three years and everyone is in the same boat as you.

Really, really do watch your money. At least tell yourself not to spend more than £x a week, and don't feel like you have to go to every night out ever, because there are clubs open every night. Try to consider the nightlife as something always there for you when you want it.

Find gamer buddies and stick with them! Learn the joys of drinking indoors, and be aware that most people in halls are going to be dicks, all hyper about being away from parental supervision.

And stuff.

This chap speaks truths.

I was lucky enough to fall in to a halls of residence so monumentally amazing that it hasx warped my very perceptions of space, time and cosmic justice ever since. I am aware,however, that we were an exception and a greater deal of my fellow student body found common ground with compatriots in societies and satellite socialites. I recommend you aspire to sample both techniques.

Errr...yeah as above with Dan but with a much more simplistic use of the english language.

I found my house buddies to be from my halls of residence and most of them from people I met on the first day! Hopefully things don't change for the third year but we shall see.

Cool. What you going to be studying?

Computer science, what you thinking of doing?

Basically just go to an open day and see what its like (if you havn't already). By the end of the open day I had pretty much made up my mind that it was where I wanted to go.

It's definitely alot different than the rest of the scottish uni's, so you will have to think whether you would enjoy a much smaller community, but honestly it seems to be a much more closely knit one, and it is a bit more expensive to live there. Like there are some halls that have underfloor heating, tv's and double beds which does seem a bit over the top but there is a fair amount of reasonable accommodation and there is plenty of hotels and shops if you do want to have a job.

I'm off to Oxford - I leave on the 5th October!

I've already spoken to a couple of guys on Facebook about "proper" dance music clubs, because I can tell I already hate the club everyone goes to, and I only went once during the introductory weekend. I'm so in the mood to skank to stunning beats. I hate when clubs just remix / play shite dance anthems. I prefer either hearing stunning Shakira/La Roux songs in full, or proper dance music.

I've e-mailed the LGBTSoc people, and I've joined their parenting scheme - yay for unorthodox familial situations!

My room is directly above the JCR (Junior Common Room), so it's going to be loud all the time, but at least I get to use the wi-fi (I can't be bothered working out how to use the cable-link internet thingy)

in our halls it was a case of 'plug cable in to wall and pc'

hardly rocket science. And it's better than wi-fi.

Buy a doorstop and prop your door open at every opportunity. DO NOT LOCK YOURSELF IN YOUR ROOM, NOT MATTER HOW SHY YOU ARE!

And yeah, watch your money, don't think that 'friends' you make in your first few weeks are proper friends, especially if they live in a flat allocated randomly - you've been thrown together by chance and yes, they may turn out to be lovely, but equally they could be horrible!

Other than that just make the most of it - get involved with things, don't spend all your time thinking work is the most important thing, don't spend all your time thinking work is the least important thing, drink lots and be sick a few times just for the stories, learn the TRUE value of tesco value (priceless), drink as much as physically possible before you leave the flat for a bar/club/pub, and have some goddam fun - you can only do it once.

The only other thing I would

Computer science, what you thinking of doing?

Basically just go to an open day and see what its like (if you havn't already). By the end of the open day I had pretty much made up my mind that it was where I wanted to go.

It's definitely alot different than the rest of the scottish uni's, so you will have to think whether you would enjoy a much smaller community, but honestly it seems to be a much more closely knit one, and it is a bit more expensive to live there. Like there are some halls that have underfloor heating, tv's and double beds which does seem a bit over the top but there is a fair amount of reasonable accommodation and there is plenty of hotels and shops if you do want to have a job.

Planning on doing Physics, maybe Maths joint honours aswell. I was told (by a St Andrews rep, so biased) that the St Andrews Physics department does better than Oxford and Cambridge even in terms of results / quality of teaching. Glasgow has better research and student ratings, but those are less important imo, although Glasgow has the obvious nightlife factor. Don't think many bands play big gigs in St Andrews really!

First open day is the 14th of October so I'm going along to that, basically as long as I like the look of it then I'll be going next year. If not, I'll have to go along to some others and make a decision. If anything comes up after that open day I'll be sure to send a PM your way :bowdown:

Planning on doing Physics, maybe Maths joint honours aswell. I was told (by a St Andrews rep, so biased) that the St Andrews Physics department does better than Oxford and Cambridge even in terms of results / quality of teaching. Glasgow has better research and student ratings, but those are less important imo, although Glasgow has the obvious nightlife factor. Don't think many bands play big gigs in St Andrews really!

First open day is the 14th of October so I'm going along to that, basically as long as I like the look of it then I'll be going next year. If not, I'll have to go along to some others and make a decision. If anything comes up after that open day I'll be sure to send a PM your way :bowdown:

I would defo say that the teaching standards are more important than research at an undergrad level. In my experience those that are good at research also tend to be social defects and lack teaching/lecturing skills.

Nintendohnut's point about keeping your door open is an excellent point, so I thought I'd just say this so y'all think about it twice!

Nintendohnut's point about keeping your door open is an excellent point, so I thought I'd just say this so y'all think about it twice!

I have to agree with this guy and Nintendo

The first few weeks its dead easy anyway, everybody is in and out of peoples rooms and drinking, going out.

Don't expect much sleep the first week, maybe the first term, after the first term after christmas it really started to calm down and halls were abit easier to live in.

Grab your own cupboard, get the best one, also get your own section in the fridge, it makes things easier so theres no mistaking others food.

Do your washing earlier mornings or late at night, I used to do mine just before uni in the morning if I'd been woken up real early or if I wasn't going out I'd do it like 11pm, the washing areas never close anyway, so take advantage of when its quiet!

Save pennies, keep a jar around, I used to have a massive glass full of coins, saved my butt a few times when I wanted to clean my clothes or have some chocolate from the vending machines.

Get to know the staff at halls, it helps to have them on your side.

Well depending on how things pan out, I will be going to University in two years time. I definently want to do something in computers, i'm not 100% what I want to do yet. I don't know weather to go for a media type I.T career, example webdesign or Computer Science/Programming.