NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

Shantae: Risky's Revenge for DSiWare

A new Shantae for DSiWare was announced and Nintendo Power teases with the first details and screens!

Nintendo revealed the existence of Shantae: Risky's Revenge in its holiday release list and Nintendo Power got the first intel and screens. While the first game for Game Boy Color was a bit low profile, it's a fantastic platformer and one that more people should have played.

Shantae is a half-genie that asides from jumping around and whipping enemies with her hair can learn various dances to transform into different animals allowing her to reach places she couldn't reach before, not unlike Metroid or Castlevania.

Developed by WayForward Technologies, Shantae:Risky's Revenge will be the first of 3 episodes released on DSiWare and will be launched later this year. Meanwhile, you can check out the gorgeous first screens and artwork on Nintendo Power's preview page by clicking here.

http://n-europe.com/news.php?nid=13538

NP247_Shantae.jpg

Looks like all those petitions and campaigns have done some good for once! :hehe:

*drools at 2D platforming goodness*

Its a shame its not a retail release as im not keen on the whole downloading scene when it comes to the DS/DSi/DSXL due to the fact you can't transfer games from one machine to the other. Its one of the reasons why I still haven't bought Mario Vs Donkey Kong from the DS Shop. Still this looks too good to miss. Hmm.....

*drools at 2D platforming goodness*

Its a shame its not a retail release as im not keen on the whole downloading scene when it comes to the DS/DSi/DSXL due to the fact you can't transfer games from one machine to the other. Its one of the reasons why I still haven't bought Mario Vs Donkey Kong from the DS Shop. Still this looks too good to miss. Hmm.....

You've read my mind, on both the drooling and the downloading.

The fun thing about Nintendo handhelds is that they are often backward compatible, atleast for the first iterations of a next-gen handheld. GBA was bc with GB/GBC (but not Micro), DS was bc with GBA (but not DSi), DS3 will be bc with DS (but not DS3-brainwave edition?). It'd be a shame you can't play Shantae on the new handheld, not to mention you have to buy it again when you lose, break your current or buy a new iteration of the current DS. You can pop a hardcopy from one system to another. Digital games... not so.

Edited by Strange Cookie

the original was great. Fantastic graphics and music but it was such a late gbc title and got fuck all attention.

the original was great. Fantastic graphics and music but it was such a late gbc title and got fuck all attention.

Yeah. Some time after its release I became aware of the game, but it was already rare to find then. I came across it for I think $ 100,- on Ebay, but I passed on it thinking that was a bit too much, even for a sealed game. Now [i'm banging my head against the wall] (Back then I could afford the $ 100,-, but now.. I would, but I simply don't have it).

This is a disgrace.

Coming from the official Shantae Twitter account...

Great news! The European version of Risky's Revenge is currently in submissions, and will be available on the DSiWare store in 3 to 8 weeks.We're sorry we can't give a specific date just yet, (you know how these things go), but you can rest assured knowing that it's on its way.

This is another thing that bothers me about Nintendo's online service. I would prefer them to go the 360 route and have a dedicated day when the downloadable games get released worldwide. Same game, same day, worldwide.

The funny thing is I thought Shantae was already out over here. I've been thinking for weeks that if I uploaded points to my DSi then this bad boy would need downloading. Thats what I get for making assumptions eh! ::shrug::nono:

1200 points? Was it the same amount of points in the US?

Ah well i'll pass, was gonna download it prior to 3DS with my free 1000 :heh:

This is the only game that makes me wish I had a DSi. Oh well. :sad:

I'd be very shocked if all the DSi titles weren't available on the 3DS at the end of May (when it's shop arrives).

1200 points? Was it the same amount of points in the US?

Ah well i'll pass, was gonna download it prior to 3DS with my free 1000 :heh:

Do you have 800 Stars on your Club Nintendo account?

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. There's no way I'm getting a DSi, but I'm sure to get a 3DS at some point in the future. :smile:

I'd be very shocked if all the DSi titles weren't available on the 3DS at the end of May (when it's shop arrives).

I'm hoping this is the case although there isn't much of an excuse for the DSiWare games not being available to download onto the 3DS at launch or very shortly after. Still, it's the only way I'll be able to get Shantae so I really do hope they make them available to download on the 3DS as I really, really want to play this (although not enough to go out and buy a DSi).

Do you have 800 Stars on your Club Nintendo account?

Got a whole 200 just now. Though I have loads of vouchers/codes to redeem.

Got a whole 200 just now. Though I have loads of vouchers/codes to redeem.

Redeem them as 800 Stars = 200 Points, which is what you need if you still have the 1000 free ones.

http://wiipointscard.nintendo-europe.com

(You can only buy one card per day, so get a 100 point one then a second 100 point one 24 hours later).

Anyone downloaded Shantae...? I'll be going for it but for the time being I don't wanna turn my DSi off - the last time I started up DQ IX one of the slimes on the loading screen was a metal one. I wanna play it a while and make use of this heightened luck. :hehe: Wonder if I could quicksave it actually...

Edited by darksnowman

Anyone downloaded Shantae...? I'll be going for it but for the time being I don't wanna turn my DSi off - the last time I started up DQ IX one of the slimes on the loading screen was a metal one. I wanna play it a while and make use of this heightened luck. :hehe: Wonder if I could quicksave it actually...

Does that actually work? You're getting more metal slimes than normal?

I quite fancy Shantae (the game :heh:) but I can't face the hassle of transferring anything from my DSi XL to my 3DS. Maybe when I get that.

Does that actually work? You're getting more metal slimes than normal?

I've not noticed any spectacular difference on Slime Hill and Googling hasn't helped. ::shrug:

I quite fancy Shantae

Its ok to admit it - she's hot.

Its ok to admit it - she's hot.

I have no attraction whatsoever to the lithe, belly-dancing minx...

(Downloads immediately)

No, seriously, it looks really good. I think I'll get it, as I love my ol' DSi XL, and it'll probably be better on that than the 3DS.

Departing Salute: Shantae

Hows everyones progress? My time with Shantae has been limited but great nonetheless. I've played up as far as doing the first dungeon/ level and getting the monkey transformation... which is brilliant. I love how quick and nimble it is. Tiny Kong eat your heart out. Knowing its a short game is whats preventing me from powering through as I don't want to finish it in one solitary play session. I love the foreground and background exploration - Wayforward keep surprising me with their talent and imagination.

Dearest digital game I've got on Wii or DSi but worth it.

I've got the week off work and I wanted a break from DQIX, so I downloaded this into my XL. Deciding to fully immerse myself in the game, I turned off the TV and plugged my headphones into the DS.

From the title screen, Shantae is a visual and aural feast, such is its colour and vibrancy. Arguably, this has got the best graphics on the DS - using highly-detailed, lavishly-animated sprites, it rather feels like a 32-bit Sega Saturn game. Wayforward have got some massively talented artists and colourists. The sound is no slouch either, continuing the Arabian Nights theme.

If you looked into my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd see sun, sea and large-breasted belly dancers. Seems the team at Wayforward feel the same way! This game is about Shantae (a sexy belly dancer) and her friends (also sexy belly dancers) fighting the villainous Risky Boots (who is not necessarily a belly dancer, but is certainly sexy!) Kudos to Wayforward for not being too scared to inject a dose of spice.

The gameplay is rather like a Metroidvania, except with a much more cheerful vibe, more depth (literally) and (so far) less height. Shantae uses a plane-switching mechanic to jump in and out if the screen (again, like Guardian Heroes on the Saturn). I wouldn't be surprised if the developers were big Sega fans in general, because more than Metroid or Castlevania, this reminds me of Wonder Boy III: the Dragon's Trap, with its animal transformations allowing you access to new areas.

At the moment I've beaten the first boss. I'm not bothered if this game is short, because it's so good. Highly recommended - download it if you want a large dose of joy zoomed into your life.

Well, I finished it (with 37 items out of 40). It's not a short game, in my opinion, if you find everything yourself. Took me over 9 hours.

I just loved it, such was its joie de vivre. Can't remember a time when I've seen graphics, music and gameplay so perfect. Shantae controls so brilliantly - just the tiniest press of a button will make her jump a tiny amount. You'd think the buttons were analogue.

The game structure is highly unpredictable and fresh, and certainly the best "Metroidvania" on the DS. It feels like a retro dream come true, only real retro games never looked or played this good! So, well worth £12. If parts 2 & 3 become available, I will buy them in an instant. Same goes for any sequels on 3DS Ware.

Score: 10/10

Sign in to follow this