NEurope

Update:

The presence of more than one version of Nier has created some confusion amongst gamers. Realizing this, PR representatives for Square Enix set out to clear up some of the misunderstandings.

As it turns out, Nier Replicant and Nier Gestalt are the same game, with the only difference being a marginally different protagonist. In Replicant, the hero is a younger boy who is trying to save his sister from the dreaded "Black Scrawl" disease, while in Gestalt he's a man trying to save his daughter.

"[The development team] felt Japanese audiences would relate better to a hero who falls more in line with classic JRPG protagonist," the representative explained, referring to the younger hero in Replicant.

Nier Gestalt will be the only version that is released in North America and Europe, and it will be referred to simply as "Nier." It will be released on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

US/EU/JP - NieR (Gestalt) [360/PS3] - In NieR (Gestalt), the protagonist, a swordsman named Nier, is on a search to find a cure for his sick daughter, infected with the Black Scrawl virus which ravaged the world and rendered human civilization a shadow of its former glory. However, on his quest Nier will encounter things that not even the strongest of warriors could overcome. The Gestalt trailer was released first, under the working title "Nier", with both the 360 and PS3 logos attached to it. Square-Enix made Nier older for Gestalt, as well as having him save his daughter instead of his sister, as it will resonate more with the western audience.

Japan - NieR Replicant [PS3] - In NieR Replicant , the protagonist, a young swordsman named Nier, is on a search to find a cure for his sister, infected with the Black Scrawl virus which ravaged the world and rendered human civilization a shadow of its former glory. However, on his quest Nier will encounter things that not even the strongest of warriors could overcome.

Edited by Dante
New Details

The name of this game and the fact that the woman (It´s a Squeenix game so could as well be a guy...) in the screenshot is a handkerchief from being naked make it impossible for me to take the this game seriously.

Seriously... Nier? It sounds lika a noise that a cartoon villain would make when he´s disgusted at something.

After writing that I read the text and wow.... the name is suddenly the least bizarre about this game.

The name Replicant makes me want to make a Blade Runner joke but I don´t want to associate that with this.

Which by saying that I already have...

NieR Gestalt (360) is made to look very western in style unlike NieR Replicant (PS3).

NieR Gestalt (360)

2132391382_view.jpg

NieR Replicant (PS3)

nier05.jpg

Edited by Dante

NieR Gestalt (360) is made to look very western in style unlike NieR Replicant (PS3).

NieR Gestalt (360)

2132391382_view.jpg

NieR Replicant (PS3)

nier05.jpg

First pic doesn't look very western to me, just messy.

2dwdar.gif

Nier Gestalt - 360 exclusive - Play as a father saving his daughter

Nier Replicant - PS3 exclusive - Play as brother saving his sister

78051420090917_165818_0_big.jpg

78051420090917_165818_1_big.jpg

78051420090917_165818_2_big.jpg

Reason to why the girl becomes a hermaphrodite because of male demon possessed her left side body as a child, and became a hermaphrodite. She grew up being teased by the other kids, and as an adult, she's developed this complex to dress sexy, but her attitude is very brash and manly.

<3 :D

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

These games really confuse the hell out of me, why are there two versions? Wheres the logic? Are they the same game? :S.

I'd guess if they're different games they'll both get ports in a years time or something.

These games really confuse the hell out of me, why are there two versions? Wheres the logic? Are they the same game?

Wish I'd knew...I guess it's the same game with maybe tiny differences.

That art style is cool. And the music...wonderful. Got me interested.

Now I need more infos on gameplay.

US/EU only gets NieR Gestalt [father and daughter]as NieR than NieR Replicant because Sqaure-Enix believes western market likes to play as muscle men and lots of swearing.

So could someone rename this topic as NieR please?

Edited by Dante

Yes.

Generally good soundtrack, some interesting ideas — the dungeons are all quite different — but the moment-to-moment gameplay isn't that great, the presentation leaves a lot to be desired and it suffers from that particular brand of melodrama that afflicts a lot of Japanese releases.

It's not terrible, just a... Nier miss!

Coincidentally, just got this game recently.

Not long in. but so far I liked it.

Soundtrack is great, gameplay is alright so far, but the sidequests and things like fishing get very tedious.

I've heard a lot of good things actually. Namely that it is worth buying.

My copy is still in the mail...should have been here by now (logic dictates, seeing as how everything else ordered on the same day already arrived) but it's not expected until the 6th I think.