NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
chrizkerr2

Are Component Switchers any good?

So, after many months I finally decided to load up the Wii again (Got a couple new games to play, plus I want that new "My Life as" game)

Now, the Wii doesn't really look any good on my HDTV, so was thinking about getting the component cables for it, problem is my HDTV only has one slot for component cables and my 360 has that (And switching them every time I want to play a different console would be so much hard work >.<)

So I was thinking about getting one of those Component switcher boxes... i.e this one http://www.thegametrain.com/products/180-hdtv-ypbpr-component-switchersplitter-%283-way%29.html

Just wondering, do you lose out on any quality when using one of those boxes?

You shouldn't lose quality - it's essentially just bridging a small connection and since it doesn't make the distance the signal travels any longer (by more than a centimetre or something) it shouldn't matter at all. Unless you buy some super cheap tacky thing off ebay with terrible connections.

I don't suppose your TV has a HDMI port that you're not using, and you have a 360 that can support a HDMI cable? If so then getting a HDMI cable would probably be cheaper than a component switcher and it would mean simply using a different input for a different console (that's what I have, component for Wii and HDMI for 360).

Although it's worth mentioning that the difference between Scart and Component for the Wii isn't that great. Put it this way, you won't suddenly feel like you're on your 360 :heh:

Cheers for the reply, unfortunaly I don't have a HDMI able 360 so will have to rely on the switcher, which I will now pickup when I get my Wii component cable :)

Yeh I know there isn't a big difference in quality from composite to component, but even a little is good enough for me ;p

Sign in to follow this