NEurope
Marshmellow

University of Manchester

So as a senior this year, I've been looking at colleges world wide to attend next year and the University of Manchester looks pretty nice.

Anyone been?

Anyone going?

Anyone graduated?

Have any hints/tips, for admission, living, need a car?, general requirements for entry, is it nice? etc.

A well educated coworker of mine is heading to the UK for his vacation and he's going to check it out for me and see whats up.

But what do you guys got to say about it?

As long as it's the University of Manchester and not Manchester Metropolitan University (which I went to) then you'll be fine. It's a great uni and I know many people who've graduated from it. You probably won't need a car as all first year accommodation tends to be very close to the city centre and the bus services are excellent. Manchester's a great lively city with lots to see and do and the people are generally very friendly. I had 3 great years in Manchester and am sad to leave it behind.

Hey I understand you want some info but it's pretty specific info. I don't know if any/many people go to that uni here, I personally am at Lancaster Uni which is about an hour away from Manchester, and I visited Salford Uni when I was choosing which to apply to (that one is also in Manchester) but like I say, I don't know how many people go there from here. Still, I hope you find at least one person to help, and good luck with your choice!

EDIT: I take it all back, looks like you'll get plenty of people who know it :) Good luck!

Well those were just questions that came into mind, I don't specifically just need those answers. Just general Do's and Dont's for the university.

My main question is for people that got accepted, what do you recommend for the whole applying process? Just from what you learned.

thanks everybody btw =]

Depends what you're planning on studying. If you tell me I might know someone in the same subject area. To be honest, as long as you get good grades in your senior year you should get accepted...

I hate to sound cynical and I'm sure someone will sound me down but as you're an overseas student, the uni will get quite a bit more money from you than they would from a UK student. As universities are businesses first really then it makes sense that you would get in... You'd still need the grades though obviously...

You been on the ucas website? www.ucas.ac.uk That's where all british students go to apply to any uk uni. Not sure if the same applies for overseas students but I bet it does.

I believe Takeo (KKOB, whatever) has just graduated from there, if he is about I'm sure he will be more than happy to help you out.

All I can do is tell you about Manchester itself, and I'm probably not the most informed to do that. Simply it is the UK's third city, although often treated as the second due to many of the world class facilities it offers. I'm sure some ex-student of theirs will be along soon to answer everything.

Edited by Fresh

Didn't Molly go to Manchester? My sister is going there next term, she's looking forward to it and I hear it's a pretty good uni!

So as a senior this year, I've been looking at colleges world wide to attend next year and the University of Manchester looks pretty nice.

Hey. :)

I went to the UoM and did a degree in Cell Biology, and I'm going back in less than 2 weeks now to do a masters.

Have any hints/tips, for admission, living, need a car?, general requirements for entry, is it nice? etc.

You definitely don't need a car. There's a huge number of buses every minute that all take you past the university, including some that are free to ride for students of the university.

The entry requirements depend on the course. You're best off looking at the UCAS website for the requirements of a course you want to do, and check if you think that's realistic of what you can achieve.

Manchester is great. It has much more going on than most cities and it's big. But not as big as London, which in my opinion is a good thing. I can honestly say I don't know anyone who went to my university and didn't like the area or university. When you register to the uni try and get the payment done beforehand via the online system (you'll get a welcome pack that let's you do this), meaning you get to avoid a huge several-hour queue at Whitworth hall.

All in all, Manchester is a great place and right up there, particularly for life sciences. Go for it!

Sorry to hijack a tad but as this is drawing in the Mancs; does anyone have any experience with, or know anybody who went to, Futureworks (media training centre)?

Why are you choosing Manchester?

Not that I know anything about Manchester, but why not Newcastle, or Edinburgh, or Bath, or St. Andrews, or Exeter?

------

I would anti-recommend taking a car. At uni you can walk everywhere you need to go, and having a car just leads to more stress about where to park it and added fuel costs.

Hey they Marshmellow. I can't really help you out as far as the uni goes, but I am in exactly the same boat as you - difference being I live here, so the fact that it is my preference is a choice made more out of convenience.

The city itself if fantastic. I'm obviously biased... I've lived here my whole life, but I am in no rush to move away.

Actually, because I'm too lazy and opposed to growing up, does anybody know the grade requirements for Philosophy at Manchester?

Why are you choosing Manchester?

Not that I know anything about Manchester, but why not Newcastle, or Edinburgh, or Bath, or St. Andrews, or Exeter?

The man's got a point...only the best people go here...

Yeah I know, I know, I'll go and get my coat...

Hey they Marshmellow. I can't really help you out as far as the uni goes, but I am in exactly the same boat as you - difference being I live here, so the fact that it is my preference is a choice made more out of convenience.

The city itself if fantastic. I'm obviously biased... I've lived here my whole life, but I am in no rush to move away.

Actually, because I'm too lazy and opposed to growing up, does anybody know the grade requirements for Philosophy at Manchester?

I think you'll miss out on some of the point of being a student if you stay in your home town. Being a student is the one time where it's acceptable to be bad at life, so why not abuse it and move away and learn to live independently?

I think you'll miss out on some of the point of being a student if you stay in your home town. Being a student is the one time where it's acceptable to be bad at life, so why not abuse it and move away and learn to live independently?

You sound exactly like my peers. I won't try and justify myself, as I know the vast majority of people here are older, wiser (probably) and far more independent than myself, and have 'done it all'.

I am quite happy to be far more pathetic than that.

You sound exactly like my peers. I won't try and justify myself, as I know the vast majority of people here are older, wiser (probably) and far more independent than myself, and have 'done it all'.

I am quite happy to be far more pathetic than that.

Each to their own.

All I'm saying is that when you're looking for a graduate job, and you get one elsewhere, it will be harder to adjust to new surroundings when you've got to work seriously.

------

I'm pretty excited about moving away. The last time I spent more than 4 successive days in a row in England was when I lived in Surrey when I was 2. 16 years ago.

I concur, I didn't even consider applying to either Nottingham University when I chose my selection. I wanted to move away [not too far, which is why I ended up in Leicester, a swift train ride home] and experience quasi-independent living.

Where about are you moving to Chairdriver?

Oxford :yay: I've only ever been twice, and pretty much know nothing about the city, so it'll be an adventure.

I've signed up for the LGBTSoc parenting scheme - yay for two academic dads!

Wow, congrats on the Oxford! Though I hope you are not in Christchurch, apparently they are like the Slitherin of Oxford. Don't shoot the messenger.

Wow, congrats on the Oxford! Though I hope you are not in Christchurch, apparently they are like the Slitherin of Oxford. Don't shoot the messenger.

Nope, Jesus College.

I chose it because I loved the obviousness of the name. There's the Christian-esque ones like Christchurch, Corpus Christi etc etc - all really pretentiously latin. Jesus feels like it cuts to the chase, too well.

Plus, I love the fact Jesus was really laid-back about everything, and told really annoyingly confusing stories.

Anyone been?

Anyone going?

Anyone graduated?

A well educated coworker of mine is heading to the UK for his vacation and he's going to check it out for me and see whats up.

But what do you guys got to say about it?

Manchester is an older more established uni so a degree from there should be well respected. There are a few unis in the country that are seen as the cream of the crop (Cambridge, Oxford, Durham) but after that most of the older ones seem to be just about levelish.

You'd not need a car, but if you did get one the insurance costs would be staggering and you may find our fuel very expensive.

If you find Manchester doesn't suit you any established uni in a big city would do the same job, like Chairdriver implied, (Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bath, St. Andrews, Exeter, Leeds, Nottingham, the London ones, Sheffield, the list goes on). There'll be a nice nightlife, decent public transport links, and you'll make lots of friends.

Seems you'll still apply through UCAS.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/howtoapply/internationalapplicants/

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/international/country/display/index.htm?id=67550&page=2

Edited by Mr_Odwin

Wouldn't include St Andrews in a list of Uni's "in a big city" personally.

Yeah, its a relatively small place.

But still, most people would recommend St. Andrews as much as they would the other unis I mentioned.

Oh yeah, absolutely. It's probably where I'm going to go next year, so long as I like the look of the town when I go up for the Open Day. But it's no "big city" is all I'm saying :p