NEurope
flameboy

Derren Brown predicting the lotto numbers...

I just thought, did you actually SEE the stand when he called out the numbers after they were called on the television?

I just thought, did you actually SEE the stand when he called out the numbers after they were called on the television?

I've re-watched it on youtube, the stand was on display for the entire duration of the show (well, the parts that mattered anyway).

It's clearly a trick, but he wouldn't use something as dishonest as camera trickery.

At the end of the day, he's not predicting the lottery numbers so much as he's creating the illusion he's predicting them. And he's trying to do it in an entertaining way. As someone mentioned, he's a showman and a performer.

Cut the guy a little slack.

I'm sure at the start he said there was 2 cameras with one being far back with a long shot which apart from a quick wave it wasn't used. I reckon we'll see the footage from that on friday which will reveal some trickery.

I've re-watched it on youtube, the stand was on display for the entire duration of the show (well, the parts that mattered anyway).

It's clearly a trick, but he wouldn't use something as dishonest as camera trickery.

At the end of the day, he's not predicting the lottery numbers so much as he's creating the illusion he's predicting them. And he's trying to do it in an entertaining way. As someone mentioned, he's a showman and a performer.

Exactly he is not wanker or a fake or a prat...like some people over the internets are banding he is merely a performer who is doing his thing to entertain you can gurantee everyone will be talking about it at work tomorrow and everyone will have their own theories..which is precisely the effect he wanted...

Yeah, you're right because that's really, really odd. A shaking ball.

I never said there was a shaking ball. I said the balls were very far to the left of the screen. They could have easily been more in the middle so you could watch them and derren better. They way they were placed made it easier for trickery.

Also, you're definitely right about the BBC being first, etc. It's not like the lottery is a multi-million business which has legal regulations that are taken very, very seriously.

If he wanted with all his richness and lawyers, he could get them to let him show it 5 seconds before them. Mind control them even.

somebody on youtube wrote:

Very easy trick - I will you a bit of a clue - At 53 secs Derren walks in front of the balls -

and another wrote;

the whole thing is about misdirection. Whatever he is pointing at is the opposite of what you should be looking at. Keeping this in mind keep watching his left hand from 3.00 on . Also keep in mind that his dialogue is clearly all well rehearsed and pre arranged and only delivered as if hes surprised about who the presenter is and where exactly they are in the programme. He makes out theres a chance the bbc wont even be showing the lottery in time When he knew they would.

after every number he "writes" he touches the top right of the card

The guy is good at what he does, and he gets people talking. I haven't seen it myself, but it does sound like an awesome "trick" to pull.

When everyone tries to work out what he does, I think it can get over the top, and sometimes the audience themselves can kill the magic. He's an entertainer, so he's aiming to entertain his audience. So, as far as that goes, he's doing a good job. But, how will you feel once you do find out how it is done? Sure, it's cool knowing how exactly he has done it, but then I think the magic in the act itself is almost surely lost then.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1212370/How-did-THAT-Derren-Brown-predicts-winning-lottery-numbers--hell-reveal-method-Friday.html

interesting quotes;

Magicians remained tight-lipped as to how Brown achieved this particular trick.

Graham Harper, of the Nottingham Guild of Magicians, said he was flummoxed by the 'awesome spectacle'.

He said: 'I sat and watched that with three other magicians and none of us can fathom how he pulled that off. Because it's Derren Brown it was expected, but that doesn't detract from the skill.'

Mr Harper ruled out sleight of hand, distraction or TV wizardry. He added: 'This will shock the world of magic.'

Jack Delvin, president of the Magic Circle, said: 'If I did know how he did it, I would not be able to say because the first rule of the Magic Circle is not to tell your secrets. I would be shot, hung, drawn and quartered.

'Derren Brown is not a member of the Magic Circle. We invited him to join but he declined saying that he was not a magician but an illusionist.

'I wish him all the best in all his tricks.'

Before the show, Brown said: 'I realise there are a lot of questions this brings up, and I hope they'll be answered on the Friday night show,

'For now, I'm really excited and really nervous and cannot tell you for sure how well it will work.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1212370/How-did-THAT-Derren-Brown-predicts-winning-lottery-numbers--hell-reveal-method-Friday.html#ixzz0Qea9RrQV

Loads of people seem convinced it is TV wizardry and are certain there is a split in the screen....with someone else putting the numbers on the stand as they come up...

Also worth remembering:

Before the show a spokesman said: 'It is impossible to affect the outcome of the draw and Derren Brown is not suggesting he is doing this.

'Derren Brown is an illusionist creating an illusion that he can predict the numbers. We wish Derren, but more importantly our players, the best of luck.'

I just disapprove of people calling him a smug wanker etc, the guy is brilliant. People trying to undermine and dumb-down the event are the one's that probably aren't that sure for themselves and so instead of imprinting your comments detailing how you're unimpressed on the forum why don't you just congratulate him for a good trick.

Obviously people may well have worked out the shenanigans by then, but confusing and questioning so many people about something that's seemingly impossible is a win in my book, there's nothing to complain about. It is interesting to see how it's done and I look forward to Friday.

(Far from a perfect post, but I can't help but find the reaction irritating)

Edited by dwarf

The illusionist, who has been banned from buying a ticket for the draw, will then reveal how he did it on a follow-up show on Friday.

He almost certainly asked to be "banned" (to help trick people).

Am I the only one who thinks the illusion of picking up numbers is one of the most boring acts there is?

He almost certainly asked to be "banned" (to help trick people).

Am I the only one who thinks the illusion of picking up numbers is one of the most boring acts there is?

Maybe only beaten by his flipping a coin until he got 10 heads in a row.

He'll never be as sexy as:

A7soYJ8ppd.jpg

At least he revealed the secrets straight after.

Now there is a legend....

Maybe only beaten by his flipping a coin until he got 10 heads in a row.

That was impressive though. The amount of work that went in to that tiny little sequence is crazy.

That was impressive though. The amount of work that went in to that tiny little sequence is crazy.

No no, not crazy, stupid. That programme was basically about if everyone does everything, someone will get the best. Or something like that. ¬_¬

People saying he's an entertainer; I don't find his stunts or him entertaining. No pretty ladies in leopard skin leotards get put in a box then chopped in half, for a start. Don't tell Oxigen, but I think entertainment is subjective.

'Derren Brown is not a member of the Magic Circle. We invited him to join but he declined saying that he was not a magician but an illusionist.

'I wish him all the best in all his tricks.'

:D

THEY'RE ILLUSIONS!!!!

Tricks are what whores do for money...or candy...

I think we all know who the best Magician is:

511032213_65f7cd9f12_o.gif

I didn't watch it but I didn't need to, I already know he's a smug pratt.

Pffft.

Word.

Its hilarious reading the comments on YouTube. The best one

"He's whispering the numbers to his assistant"

The very fact he's advertising that the answers will be revealed on Friday seems to suggest it'll be more than camera trickery, and also that he didn't legitimately predict the numbers using magic (...).

It does look like he's whispering into his hand, as he goes strangely silent when they're announced.

I wouldn't expect Friday's show to be an entire hour of explanation yknow... More like 45 minutes of normal style derren stuff building up to him showing how he punked us all!

I wouldn't expect Friday's show to be an entire hour of explanation yknow... More like 45 minutes of normal style derren stuff building up to him showing how he punked us all!

Thats pretty much what I expect, but I can't stop myself from wanting to see it!