NEurope
Happenstance

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (XBLA, PSN, WiiWare)

Huh? Since when was the jumping in the Rush games bad? I played it with no problems and I never once even had to think about the jump - it just worked.

Huh? Since when was the jumping in the Rush games bad? I played it with no problems and I never once even had to think about the jump - it just worked.

According to this game it's worse. Yes i'd agree though it wasn't so bad in rush, if only because you were going too fast to even notice.

Why can't they make the running like 1-3 and S&K where his legs have that blurred animation that gives the right sense of speed in that vid he just looks like he is jogging.

You know when they say "Sonic 3 level designer" working on the game I think they probably mean just some level designer who worked in the game in some form (probably meaning Takashi Iizuka who's been responsible for most of the 3D games anyway!)

The true director of the old games, Hirokazu Yasuhara, has been with Naughty Dog since the early Jak and Daxter games. He actually used to draw out level designs by hand on grid paper and stuff like that. There's a 0% chance he has any involvement with this game.

People like Iizuka having involvement mean nothing to me. He's been involved in almost everything to some degree since the Dreamcast era and the Sega comments probably mean him as when the website content was leaked a while back one of the articles was an interview with him.

Edited by James McGeachie

You know when they say "Sonic 3 level designer" working on the game I think they probably mean just some level designer who worked in the game in some form (probably meaning Takashi Iizuka who's been responsible for most of the 3D games anyway!)

The true director of the old games, Hirokazu Yasuhara, has been with Naughty Dog since the early Jak and Daxter games. He actually used to draw out level designs by hand on grid paper and stuff like that.

People like Iizuka having involvement mean nothing to me. He's been involved in almost everything to some degree since the Dreamcast era and the Sega comments probably mean him as when the website content was leaked a while back one of the articles was an interview with him.

Apprantly this guy was the " original senior level designer from Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the SEGA Genesis" though. Oh well.

It wasn't bad but it was not quite as precise as the mega-drive games' jump. Jumping in Sonic Rush is like throwing yourself accross the screen and then boosting in the general direction of your target.

Hopefully the price shown here (400MS Points) is the final one.

400 points sounds about right, especially since they're only 4 zones in the episode.

Couldn't put my finger on the dissapointment but yes, zero gravity is the answer. Sonic seems weightless in this. Utterly bizarre. Kinda makes it look stupid when Sonic flies really high from nothing but a curled ledge.

Looking forward to now seeing how the Wii version shapes up. Obviously won't look as crisp (maybe more retro?)

I hate saying this but does anyone think the character models look a little... average Flash Game? Gimme some old school sprites any day.

I just don't think it looks as good as it should do. The developer may not be able to really make a great looking Sonic game, having only made GBA standard stuff. Is it limited because it's also on the Wii?

Possibly but I don't remember sonic rush and the GBA games looking bad. I like the backgrounds in this. I've been struggling to pinpoint what looks wrong but I think it's that the various art doesn't blend well as a whole. There're a few different styles going on and it results in quite a jarring image, almost like a cut and paste montage but not good.

If anything it looks like a sort of cel shaded reboot of the original.

Looking forward to this - if rather cautiously. There's a pretty massive gap between "glorious resurrection" and "final nail in the coffin"; if they get it wrong it will certainly be the latter.

Good job it's not a Wii-only release, otherwise it'd be getting ripped for the graphics by now :laughing:

The environments are shiny and the character models flat and cel shaded, that's what looks the most odd.

As a continuation of the original series surely they could be a bit more adventuerous with the level design. Maybe include Tails and Knuckles?

I think they're just playing it a bit too safe, looks too much like Sonic 1 damnit!

Good job it's not a Wii-only release, otherwise it'd be getting ripped for the graphics by now :laughing:

To be honest the graphics should be getting ripped. It looks pretty much identical the Sonic Advance. It lacks style, appears to be to flat planes and the actual detail is poor.

They haven't gone for a retro style, they haven't gone for amazing HD visuals with depth in perspective, they've just tried to grab the middle-ground, yet still failed somehow.

To be honest the graphics should be getting ripped.

Kinda what I meant. Point is if this was Wii exclusive it would've been seized on. It's sub NSMBWii from what we've seen so far, and unlikely to have anywhere near the level of polish.

Its most likely the beta test, I'm still holding out for it, the last game I truely enjoyed from Sonic was Advance 2

ESRB confirms that there are at least 4 episodes:

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 4 (Wii) – E

4!! O_O

They better be no more than 300 MS points each then.

You can guarantee they will be 400 points each... but it's still worth it, the thing is though, once all episodes are out you can also guarantee that they will group them together in one download for 1200 points but... who wants to wait 1/2 a year + for that to happen?

So a total of 1600 points it is then it would seem... :blank: