NEurope
Helmsly

YouTube lifts music video block

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8234125.stm

YouTube has lifted a block on users viewing official music videos after the website reached an agreement with songwriters' group PRS for Music.

In March, the service blocked thousands of music videos to UK users after failing to reach agreement over fees.

YouTube, owned by Google, is paying an undisclosed lump sum to PRS, backdated until January and lasting until 2012.

Adam Shaw from PRS for Music told the BBC that he was pleased that an agreement had finally been reached.

"We have 60,000 song-writer and composer members and many of them don't earn very much money at all - 90% of them earn less then £5,000 a year," he said.

"The money we receive is really their living."

More stuff in the link. Hooray!

"We have 60,000 song-writer and composer members and many of them don't earn very much money at all - 90% of them earn less then £5,000 a year,"

I suspect because most of them are crap.

I never really noticed it too much. Spotify is easier to use for listening to music and VidZone is perfect for a lot of music videos (although is lacking).

I kept finding that videos I wanted to watch were unavailable, so this is good.

There was always the odd video blocked, but there were so many ways around it that finding a video was never really that hard anyway.

Now hopefully they'll stop disabling audio tracks when people decide to put music to their own videos.