NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Strange Cookie

Okamiden

So it sounds like only certain GAME stores will be stocking this (and I'd presume it'll be the same for Gamestation as well) when it's released, meaning you'll probably have to get hold of it online. Guessing stores aren't confident they'll sell many copies with the 3DS out the week after. Hate when this kind of thing happens as the game is hardly getting the chance it deserves, partly as a result of a terrible release date and now more because it looks like there'll be limited stock in store.

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll release a third game a week before Wii 2 is out.

So it sounds like only certain GAME stores will be stocking this (and I'd presume it'll be the same for Gamestation as well) when it's released, meaning you'll probably have to get hold of it online. Guessing stores aren't confident they'll sell many copies with the 3DS out the week after. Hate when this kind of thing happens as the game is hardly getting the chance it deserves, partly as a result of a terrible release date and now more because it looks like there'll be limited stock in store.

Good job I ordered online then.

It's releasing at a bad time, it's sandwhiched between Pokemon Blank & White AND the 3DS launch.

Though I do think DS stuff will still sell well despite the 3DS.

I really, really wanna get this, just hate the release date. I'm still undecided about getting a 3DS at launch... it'd just be a stupid chunk straight out of my student loan but... it looks so puuuuurdy.

I think maybe I'll just be happy enough with Pokemon, Okamiden.

Well Okamiden is out in ten days! Thats snuck right up on me. I've still not got round to trying the demo, nor have I pre-ordered. Its currently £22.99 at Game.co.uk. I kinda want to leave it til the summer or something but with the game not being stocked to shops, it could become very rare very quickly.

Played the demo, it wasn't much of a demo tbh, more a very basic tutorial.

But just from this brief play, my impressions weren't that great tbh!

The controls and movement especially felt a little awkward and I wasn't quite sure if I should be drawing with my finger or the stylus... I soon found the stylus... but it means half holding the stylus kinda awkwardly at the same time as using the letter buttons! The controls didn't feel particularly comfortable. Also the sound quality wasn't that great.

Loved the Wii version, but I'll be passing on this I think.

Edited by Retro_Link

Really? I thought the controls were like any other game, but added extra touch screen controls. I quite enjoyed it myself. I know what you mean with the semi-wielding stylus, though I ended up having a position for playing normaly with stylus still in hand. It'll be hella awkward to describe, but I had it like, say you're clenching your fist, have the tip you draw with down close to pinky, and just hold it between 4 fingers, so when you're playing on the game, pinky and ringer finger is curled up (how I normally have while playing) and the stylus is between console and hand, so easy to whip out when you need it.

But yeah, wasn't a demo really at all. Even when I didn't want instructions, I still got instructions :heh:

Yeah, I did find a good way to hold it, but it still seemed like it was in the way a little. The character movement with the D-pad didn't feel at all smooth to me, maybe I was just expecting more having not played a game like this on the DS before.

Yeah the touch screen controls were pretty much fine though, that all worked well enough, and was quite fun.

But after playing the Wii version, it really does feel quite awkward, I know it's an unfair comparison, but still.

I found the controls fine. I often play holding the stylus in my hand anyway.

And yeah, the demo wasn't very good.

Anyone who hasn't ordered this online and was hoping to track it down in stores, only HMV are stocking it and in very small numbers (think 1 or 2 copies per store). Disappointing really but Capcom should have gotten the game out earlier if they wanted it to sell well.

Anyway, picked it up earlier and I've only really played an hour so far and it's been ok. As expected for the start really. Amazed at how good it looks and sounds, even though I've been following the game since it was announced. Yes, there are frame rate stutters and pop-in and it doesn't have the same fidelity as the original but you can't really make comparisons on that level as it's just unfair. Even if you do, this is still very impressive presentation wise.

Really looking forward to getting into it more, which unfortunately means Pokemon White is on the back burner. How much I get done before the 3DS I don't know. Hope that rumour of a 3DS version turns out to be true (although I know it probably won't) as it'd look even better than it does now.

Probably will pick it up soon in case it's get sold out, but it will be a while before I get to play it.

Played about 5 hours of the game so far and it's still managing to impress visually. Has some of the same humour from the original and it will make you laugh (one moment really early on is hilarious), albeit without any of the blouse hiding that Issun did although it is still early in the game to flat out say that there isn't any of that in there :laughing:

Fought 2 bosses so far, the big Toad guy from screenshots and another more testing boss, and the gameplay holds up well enough in these sections, even with the camera pulling out to show the entire field of play and making it a little difficult to dodge attacks as a result.

As I said previously, the flaws are easy to spot and yes, you could really be nitpicky about them but in all honesty, the game is still great even with them. I'm really enjoying it and I really hope others pick up the game and give it a go. If you're miffed about the 3DS launch lineup, pick up this and you'll have something fantastic to play on it. Even if you're not picking up a 3DS yet and are sticking with your DS, seriously give this a try.

Keep the commentary coming, GP32. : peace:

Probably will pick it up soon in case it's get sold out, but it will be a while before I get to play it.

I don't know how soon, but when I do get Okamiden I can't see myself playing it for yonks. Like... if I'm honest, this year. :blank: I still need to get back to Okami and finish it. I should check the thread and see what my last post was about but as far as I remember, I was up to the snowy area - yeah I've no idea either why I'd stop playing when I reached the snow, thats always the best area of games! :santa: - and Retro_Link told me I need to go and pee on baddies to get beads/ yen/ something. There's also the small matter of Dragon Quest IX just not wanting to let go of me.

Keep the commentary coming, GP32. : peace:

I don't know how soon, but when I do get Okamiden I can't see myself playing it for yonks. Like... if I'm honest, this year. :blank: I still need to get back to Okami and finish it. I should check the thread and see what my last post was about but as far as I remember, I was up to the snowy area - yeah I've no idea either why I'd stop playing when I reached the snow, thats always the best area of games! :santa: - and Retro_Link told me I need to go and pee on baddies to get beads/ yen/ something. There's also the small matter of Dragon Quest IX just not wanting to let go of me.

Haha, yeah peeing on enemies during battle is a quick way to build up blue fangs, which you trade in to buy new abilities... the last of which is EPIC and godly!

The snow chapter of the game is by far the best IMO, you should really enjoy it, especially perhaps having had a bit of a break.

But before you get into that you should go back and get all the previous abilities etc...

Got to and cleared the first proper dungeon earlier, bringing my game time up to 6 hours. It was pretty decent as well, playing out in a flooded pagoda and playing very similarly to those in LoZ: Spirit Tracks where you have to send off your partner to help you clear a puzzle. I personally think it's handled better than in Spirit Tracks and was certainly a bit more interesting design wise in terms of what you had to do.

Boss was decent as well. The cutscene afterwards was heartwrenching though. "Poor Chibi" doesn't quite do it justice. That little twerp that is Susano's son would be getting his head caved in for what he did if I was Chibi. B*****d! :p Strange though that the events of that particular scene didn't result in a rating higher than 12+, even though it is cartoony.

On the subject of peeing on enemies, that's out of this sequel. A shame as it would have been hilarious seeing a little wolf pup doing that :D

And I do agree Retro, the Snow area of Okami was brilliant. Dungeon was pretty decent too in that part. Hopefully that area is in this. Would love to have the time to go back through it at some point.

Edited by Ganepark32

And I do agree Retro, the Snow area of Okami was brilliant. Dungeon was pretty decent too in that part. Hopefully that area is in this. Would love to have the time to go back through it at some point.
Dungeon was a good one, the boss fight one of the best, and the cutscenes/story that developed, fantastic! :D

Had to go and have a read of what the snow area in the original Okami entailed, as it's been 2 years since I played and finished it, but was happily reminded of how awesome it was, mainly for two reasons which I'll tag as I presume Darksnowman hasn't reached it yet and they're probably the best moments in the game:

The 100 year flash-back battle/appearance of Shiranui:

Love the music that kicks in for Shiranui. And obviously, following on from that, fighting alongside Shiranui at the boss of the Wawku Shrine.

As I said, I'd love to get the time to play it through again. Playing Okamiden has really given me the urge to play it.

Speaking of Okamiden, I'm approaching the 10 hour mark. Got to Ryoshima Coast (which still has the brilliant music from the original) and Sei'an City. Suffered through a prolonged and frustrating boss battle in the city but did it in the end. Seemed to go on for ages but it was quite a good boss.

I'm also now on partner 4, having just had the third character, who only joins you for a short period of time, go off for training/getting kidnapped because she's a Miko. Was a bit worried that all these character changes would lead to less fleshed out characters but that's not the case, and they all have their own distinct and often humour personalities. Just wish they'd stop giving Chibi nicknames and call him by his real name :p

You know, although I'm ecstatic that we got a sequel in Okamiden, being reminded of the snow area in the original makes me wish for a prequel (although I seriously doubt Capcom will return to the 'series' now seeing as both versions of Okami didn't sell well and I doubt this has sold any better). Plenty of story to tell there, although maybe it's best to leave it as the fabled legend it's made out to be and leave it up to our imagination. Still would be awesome to get the full back story for Nagi and Shiranui.

Think I'm the only one who bought the game, seeing as I've been the only one posting about it (Shame on all of you :wink:)

Haven't tried it yet, though will probably try it later on and see how it is. I'm not really expecting much of an improvement with the controls but it'll be interesting to see how it feels with the circle pad and then I can hope and dream away for a 3DS port of the game :indeed:

But seeing as this has appeared, a progress update:

Nearly 15 hours into the game. Getting interesting now in terms of what is happening and where I am. Can't really describe where I am because it'd be major spoilers for those who haven't got it but aim to play it at some point. Let's just say I'm closer to the events of the original, that should suffice and people can draw their own conclusions from that :awesome:

Really, really enjoying it though. Played it for a few hours this morning, halting any attempts to play my 3DS. Such a good game.

Think I'm the only one who bought the game, seeing as I've been the only one posting about it (Shame on all of you :wink:)

I think i'm going to try and pick it up from HMV in Wimbledon later if they have it in. I have 2 3DS games and none of the others are inspiring me to buy them, so I may get this and reminisce about the first game :D

Sign in to follow this