NEurope
tapedeck

The underrated Wii games thread.

Over at GoNintendo RMC cited his love for Little King's Story and called for readers to share their opinions on underrated/or ignored gems - with their own explanations.

What followed was a wealth of posts from readers giving their opinions. Below is a breakdown of the wealth of titles given.

Here is a list of the top named games (sorted by popularity - at least three votes received).

Okami

Battalion Wars 2

Little King's Story

Zack & Wiki

Elebits

Metroid Prime Trilogy*

de Blob

ExciteBots

Marble Saga: Kororinpa

No More Heroes

Dewey's Adventure

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon

House of the Dead: Overkill

Mad World

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition

Truama Centre New Blood

Dawn of Discovery

Klonoa

Munchables

SSX Blur

Wii Music

Williams Pinball Hall of Fame

Alien Syndrome (+1)

Animal Crossing (+2)

Another Code R: A Journey in Memories (+2)

Barbie Horse Adventures: Riding Camp (+1)

Battalion Wars 2 (+8)

Big Brain Academy (+1)

BlastWorks: Build, Trade, Destroy (+1)

Boom Blox (+1)

Boom Blox Bash Party (+1)

Bully (+1)

Castlevania Judgment (+1)

Dawn of Discovery (+3)

de Blob (+5)

Deadly Creatures (+2)

Dewey's Adventure (+4)

Disaster Day of Crisis (+2)

Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey (+1)

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (+1)

Driver: Parallel Lines (+1)

Elebits (+7)

Endless Ocean (+1)

Excite Truck (+1)

ExciteBots (+6)

Fatal Frame 4 (+2)

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (+4)

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (+2)

Geometry War: Galaxies (+2)

Ghost Squad (+1)

Ghostbusters (+2)

Grand Slam Tennis (+2)

Groovin' Blocks (+1)

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus (+2)

House of the Dead: Overkill (+4)

Klonoa (+3)

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (+1)

Let's Tap (+1)

Little King's Story (+8)

LostWinds (+1)

Mad World (+4)

Marble Saga: Kororinpa (+5)

Mario Strikers Charged (+1)

Metal Slug Anthology (+1)

Metroid Prime Trilogy (+7)

MLB Power Pros (+1)

Monster Lab (+1)

Munchables (+3)

Mushroom Men (+2)

NiGHTS: Journey into Dreams (+2)

No More Heroes (+5)

NPC: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (+1)

Octomania (+1)

Okami (+10)

Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers (+1)

Opoona (+2)

Pop (+1)

Punch-Out!! (+2)

Red Steel (+2)

Resident Evil 4 (+1)

Rogue Trooper (+1)

Rune Factory Frontier (+2)

Samba de Amigo (+1)

Scarface (+2)

Shaun White Snowboarding (+1)

Sin & Punishment 2 (+1)

Spectrobes: Origins (+2)

SSX Blur (+3)

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (+2)

Super Mario Galaxy (+2)

Super Paper Mario (+1)

Super Swing Golf Season 2 (+1)

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (+1)

Tenchu: Shadow Assassins (+1)

The Conduit (+1)

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (+4)

Tomb Raider Anniversary (+1)

Truama Centre New Blood (+4)

Truama Centre Second Opinion (+2)

Wario Land Shake It! (+1)

WarioWare: Smooth Moves (+1)

Wii Music (+3)

Wii Play (+1)

Wii Sports Resort (+2)

Williams Pinball Hall of Fame (+3)

WordJong Party (+1)

World of Goo (+1)

Zack & Wiki (+8)

*Votes for Metroid Prime 3 were combined with the Trilogy, since that's probably the best way for most people to buy the game.

Discuss :)

Edited by tapedeck

Wii Music is hated for all the wrong reasons! It really is a good game.

Klonoa and NiGHTS are awesome games which sadly hardly anyone knows about - NiGHTS especially!

Wii Music is hated because people go in expecting a game and get disappointed when they realize it isn't one.

Wii Music is hated because people go in expecting a game and get disappointed when they realize it isn't one.

Aye. People need to realise that it's a noise maker for kids and not a game.

Anyway, Scarface should be there insted of Godfather. I also really, really want Excitebots.

I actually think Okami is one of the most overated titles. Majorly delighted to see BWii up so high, though. Glad to know I'm not the only one who adores that game. My personal others would be Little King's Story, Excite Truck, No More Heroes and Call of Duty 5.

Klonoa and NiGHTS are awesome games which sadly hardly anyone knows about - NiGHTS especially!

no it's not.. everything about it is horrible.. It was a failed(thank god) experiement by nintnendo.. It'd hate to know what would have happened if it sold as much as wii fit.

they're thinking behind it is wrong.non-gamers want simple games but not games that insult their intelligence.

the music in the game is very lazy, not enough modes, crap graphics, crap sound quality( and it;s a music game)

in every respect it's a bad game. If ubisoft or someone released it it would have scored 10-20 percent

Anyway, Scarface should be there insted of Godfather. I also really, really want Excitebots.

well likely never get it.. But it's pretty good though. Not muc has changed since excite truck suprisingly. I'd like to see it expanded to 4 player and on-line play for it to have a serious chance at competing with mario kart and f-zero.

Pretty much agree with the entire list, though these ones especially for me:

Klonoa

SSX Blur

Okami

Little King's Story

Zack & Wiki

Elebits

de Blob

ExciteBots

No More Heroes

House of the Dead: Overkill

MadWorld

As for ones other's haven't picked out, definitely NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits, and although I haven't played it, everyone tells me MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade is severely underrated.

no it's not.. everything about it is horrible.. It was a failed(thank god) experiement by nintnendo.. It'd hate to know what would have happened if it sold as much as wii fit.

they're thinking behind it is wrong.non-gamers want simple games but not games that insult their intelligence.

the music in the game is very lazy, not enough modes, crap graphics, crap sound quality( and it;s a music game)

in every respect it's a bad game. If ubisoft or someone released it it would have scored 10-20 percent

well likely never get it.. But it's pretty good though. Not muc has changed since excite truck suprisingly. I'd like to see it expanded to 4 player and on-line play for it to have a serious chance at competing with mario kart and f-zero.

I would love to know how long you played Wii Music for.

If i'm honest, I was very dissapointed when I first played it but after a few hours I really got into and started to create some great pieces of music, its a brilliant piece of Software (Had to make sure I didn't put 'game' this time for the people who are eager to flame) and it has lots of depth as far as showing you many different styles of music and teaching you so much. The one downfall was the track list, I have to admit, that was shit.

If i'm honest, I was very dissapointed when I first played it but after a few hours I really got into and started to create some great pieces of music, its a brilliant piece of Software (Had to make sure I didn't put 'game' this time for the people who are eager to flame) and it has lots of depth as far as showing you many different styles of music and teaching you so much. The one downfall was the track list, I have to admit, that was shit.

Don't let it get to you, we are in a day of age where every gamer thinks that every other gamer agrees with them, and if they don't then they are stupid people because they don't know what a game is or a Nintendo fanboy, or a casual etc etc....

If people had fun playing Wii Music, then I don't see why people have to be negative about it. Let the person say it's good. Isn't that why we play games? For fun? Or is there no such thing as fun in this day of age?

People can enjoy it, doesn't mean it's a good game/piece of software.

So because I don't like Kingdom Hearts, it automatically makes it a shit game/piece of software? Of course not, I know plenty of people who love the series, true, I hang shit on it, but thats because it's always fun to see die hard KH fans go nuts :heh:

When someone says Wii Music is something you enjoyed you just don't hound them and say 'No it's not, because I said so and I know I am right'

If people enjoyed and had fun with the game, then I don't really see the problem in it, I think people need to lay off Wii music.

Before this becomes a whole thread about Wii music I am going to go back and talk about the one game I have played and loved to death.

Opoona is the one game I love so much and it saddens me to see not many people talk about it, truly an early hidden gem.

If i'm honest, I was very dissapointed when I first played it but after a few hours I really got into and started to create some great pieces of music, its a brilliant piece of Software (Had to make sure I didn't put 'game' this time for the people who are eager to flame)

I hope the comment about flame wasn't aimed at myself as I didn't mean to come across that way - I was merely just commenting on the mentality of those who picked it up without understanding what it actually was they were buying.

So because I don't like Kingdom Hearts, it automatically makes it a shit game/piece of software?

That wasn't what he said.

All he said that people can enjoy low quality products and by the same token, people don't have to like everything that's of a high standard.

As a game, I can't fault Tetris, but it doesn't mean I like playing it - it's just not my thing.

Similarly, though not a Nintendo game, Half-Life 2 I believe is a highly accomplished game in many respects and I can see why it has so many plaudits, but I just didn't really get into. It doesn't mean I can't see it's quality, it just means it doesn't do it for me.

My under-rated Wii game that I'm loving at the moment is Mario Strikers Charged Football. Such a great game, with great pace, fun gameplay and an absolutely blast in multiplayer. Recently played some of this against a mate, and we both loved it. I've been online with it in the past and enjoyed my time, so will try to go online a bit more, if people on here still play it, hehe.

My other nomination is going to be De Blob. But, I don't think its under-rated anymore. I've been preaching about it for ages, and so have many others, and it now has a cult-status with Wii owners. So, its getting the recognition it deserves amongst gamers, or at least amongst gamers who are willing to try something a bit off-the-wall.

So because I don't like Kingdom Hearts, it automatically makes it a shit game/piece of software? Of course not, I know plenty of people who love the series, true, I hang shit on it, but thats because it's always fun to see die hard KH fans go nuts :heh:

You did this just to annoy me, didn't you? :D

Godfather: Blackhand kicks large ammounts of arse in my oppinion. I'd like a bigger variety in cars and better car models, plus that a large part of the city is very bland. The Wii's extra power should have been used to let players see the New York skyline, but it all feels very "tile"-ish.

Wii music isn't underrated. No matter how low it scores, it'll still be over rated. It's a failed experiment, just like Mario's Missing and other edutainment games we'd all rather forget.

You did this just to annoy me, didn't you? :D

.......:laughing:

I have seen worst fans of KH though, they are insane (Not as bad as Sonic fans, but up there)

Wii music isn't underrated. No matter how low it scores, it'll still be over rated. It's a failed experiment, just like Mario's Missing and other edutainment games we'd all rather forget.

....I enjoyed that game when I was a kid :blank:

Wii music I say would be underated cause it dont feel like ur really playing the instrument and they hyped it up just like "The Conduit"

Wii music I say would be underated cause it dont feel like ur really playing the instrument and they hyped it up just like "The Conduit"

Surely you mean the opposite then? I'm confused. That or very tired.

no Offence intended if you like the game.

It's just a bad game though.

all of my bad points can be achieved if nintendo came up with a great way of playing the game like rock band or guitar hero hell even elite beat agents..

but no nintendo decided to opt against any sort of competition at all.

Not against you in particular but I feel nintendo fans are sometimes in denail about this one.

At least boogie by ea had an ok soundtrack, great graphics but was criticised for being oversimplistic......sigh

see its hard to say whether conduit was underrated or overrated..

on-line is was hyped too much but it sold pretty mehishly..

depends on whether you count overated on sales or review scores.. but i say conduit got what it deserved.

I'll do an example opposite of everyone else, I enjoyed Two Worlds, that is a bad game. It's just poor. But I still had fun with it, it's like trolling GT fun. In the same way Wii Music is bad, but you can still have fun with it. Antoher example is Wii Play.

wii play isn't bad at all :) for a game that was worth about a fiver once you count the remote out.

as a full priced wii game it would be a disaster though yes..

Well, I do agree with you. At that price if it didn't come with a remote....that would be terrible.