NEurope
killer kirby

3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)

I wouldnt say it unoriginal at all. Its a very clever and inventive use of 2s pixellated art.

Also alot of people are forgetting many games were like this and not completely unlike Zelda. Zelda is just an easy but deliberate reference. Having said that it woes alot to games like Zelda, no doubt. Its not claiming to be a replacement for Zelda either! It does sound like they respect Zelda.

I certainly am excited about this. It looks crazy enough to realise there are some good brains behind the game.

Edited by Choze

3D Dot Game Heroes has mini-games, grid removal

3ddgh-screens_10-15-09.jpg

3D Dot Game Heroes can be seen in more than one retro style, it seems. Instead of having the game look like a bunch of blocks that form characters and environments, why not remove the grid lines to make things look a little more... realistic? if that's the correct word. A new option unveiled for the game tonight reveals that you can do just that.

3D-Dot-Game-Heroes_2009_10-15-09_09.jpg_610.jpg

Mini-games will come into play in 3D Dot Game Heroes. Pictured in tonight's new images are just a couple like "Dash Race" — a race through the course for the fastest time — and "Tower Defense" — which makes players protect themselves against and destroy the invading monsters.

Also revealed tonight is that the game will have a "Beyond Challenging" mode for those who want to take on the experiences equivalent to "Insane" in Gears of War 2 or "Crushing" in Uncharted 2.

http://scrawlfx.com/2009/10/3d-dot-game-heroes-has-mini-games-grid-removal

I'm liking the options.

This is looking better and better. A self-referential Lego Zelda? Count me in!

Sure, it's a blatant tribute/rip-off, but better well stolen than ill-concieved. Or something. And it's a bit arrogant to claim this is only based on Zelda. It's based on 8-bit (action-)RPG's, though the gameplay obviously borrows more from Zelda than e.g. Dragon Quest.

This is going to be one of those game that will be labeled 'controversial' by most gamers. All I see is a game that looks fun. And rip-offs don't have to be bad. It's a harsh world, boys 'n girls.

Let's examine:

The original:

:love:

supermariokart_box.jpg

The good rip-off: :yay:

642581-krazy_racers_copy_large.jpg

The bad rip-off: :shakehead:weep:

898138-913942_front_large.jpg

krazy racers was awesome...iirc it was one of the release games for the GBA and I remember spending more time on it than anything else, not sure where it is now though

I wouldnt say it unoriginal at all. Its a very clever and inventive use of 2s pixellated art.

Graphics don't mean original. Graphical style is one of the first things to wear off once you start playing a game, so try not get drawn to a game because of its graphics.

There's no doubt that it isn't original, but it may still be fun and I'll consider buying it at a cheaper price. If it has gameplay that's 20 years old, I'd expect a pricetag that's 20 years old too. :p

15. Dragon Quest VI

another one I see is from Dragon Quest IV as well.

I don't really care how unoriginal this game is, too me if this is unoriginal, then so are most games, since most games copy off one another or are inspired by movies, books etc etc...it's just this one is clear that it's getting it's inspiration so people declare it as unoriginal without thinking about all those other games they love.

Dante for gods sake, do you know how hard you make this site to view on devices like iPhones? Just post a link to them so we can look if we want, your making so many threads on this site a nightmare to view on mobile devices and just plain annoying on computers.

I wonder what the others are;

3 is Castlevania.

5 is Captain Tsubasa Vol. II: Super Striker.

8 is Torneko's Great Adventure: Mysterious Dungeon.

10 is Tower of Druaga.

13 is Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

15 is Dragon Quest VI.

New ones:

Final Fantasy IV.

54e5436b.jpg

Dragon Quest

70c7818d.jpg

Dragon Quest II

cec6ee67.jpg

Drangon Quest III

49f8df8e.jpg

0dbe475b-s.jpg

29ce8af2-s.jpg

34ef8d6f.jpg

c58659e7.jpg

98131340.jpg

8d9797e4.jpg

Final Fantasy

98fa843d.jpg

Megaman

37c2db0c.jpg

7a796cfd.jpg

d73ed606.jpg

a8ff079a.jpg

78a99b93.jpg

b889c652.jpg

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

31a797bc.jpg

f94bf920.jpg

d4c1b339.jpg

Chrono Trigger

d4141430.jpg

Final Fantasy II

eae2b767.png

afe3e1ed.jpg

45ef91f6.jpg

Cool. It's nice seeing it on a white background.

Famitsu - 3D Dot Game Heroes (8/8/7/7, 30 points)

Famitsu's review of From Software's silly retro-RPG romp is about what you'd expect. "The gameplay and so on is one enormous homage to Zelda and there are references to NES games everywhere, making this a nostalgia-laden trip," one reviewer wrote. "The graphics and blocky animations are very pretty, fusing old with new seamlessly, but the game itself is, for better or for worse, pretty orthodox."

Your opinion of the game will likely depend on your age more than anything else, the way Famitsu sees it. "The sheer amount of ripoffs...er, homages to other games is enough to put a smile on the face of any thirtysomething gamer," as one put it. "It's a well-made title and fun in its own right, but if you try to evaluate this as a new and original game, then you can't help but start to have doubts."

Wow, those reviews are better then I expected. I'm actually looking forward to this game. A Zelda rip-off/tribute it may be, but that's only a plus in my books. :D And it just looks great! You just gotta love that new retro-charm.

Played about 5 hours of this over the weekend.

Its amazing how thoroughly From Software 'borrows' from the Zelda series here but its all in good fun and the closest thing youll ever get to having the Zelda franchise on Playstation.

Im a little disappointed that a compelling story was nixed in favor of endless parody but so be it.