NEurope
killer kirby

3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)

This really looks cool, too bad it's only for Playstation 3...

Aye. I would even stretch to 1600 MS Points for this game.

Isn't this a full game? As in, not like a small game on the store?

Isn't this a full game? As in, not like a small game on the store?

Ah. I keep forgetting that.

Ah. I keep forgetting that.

Yeah, when I first saw this I was convinced it would be a PSN title. It will have to be quite long for it to warrant a retail price tag for me, I think.

Sounded like you're having knock at it in a discrete way, as if to dumb it down.

If there is enough variety it might be worth buying soon after launch.

How did this gen turn awesome looking games with style get classed with XBA/PSN/Wii-Ware games by gamers?

Edited by Dante

How did this gen turn awesome looking games with style class with XBA/PSN/Wii-Ware games by gamers?

(I'm not quite sure I understand you but I think you're saying "why are stylistic games often linked to downloadable games?")

Usually because making games like this is quite risky. As a result, they're often made as downloadable games because they carry far less risk. Now we're used to it, we (including me) seem to assume that "risky" games like this would be released as a downloadable title.

I wouldnt exactly call this concept risky, its like a classic Zelda/Dragon Quest hybrid that Japan should go nuts for.

I do question whether it will make it overseas though

I wouldnt exactly call this concept risky, its like a classic Zelda/Dragon Quest hybrid that Japan should go nuts for.

I do question whether it will make it overseas though

Funny, this is getting a lot of hype and people already want it over here, Atlus and some other publisher in the US are fighting over this game on who should being it out in the US. So yeah, it's going to come over :D

Princess and Dragon Quest Tribute - Screens

245er0h.jpg

3D Dot Game Heroes may have retro themes, but it's pretty forward thinking in one sense. In addition to a male main character, you can choose to take control of a female character.

Each of the three character types, Prince, Hero, and Scholar have a female equivalent. In the Prince's case, the female version is called a Princess. The other classes keep the same name.

The character classes in 3D Dot Game Heroes have different strengths. The Prince class is well balanced, offering average physical and magic attack strength. The Hero has strong physical and magic strength. The Scholar class isn't particularly strong, but does have great magic power. For all three classes, the female version of the character has weaker physical attacks.

In addition to a look at the female characters, From's latest screenshot update on 3D Dot Game Heroes gave us a look at the game' weapon options and a couple of giant bosses.

For the weapons, we can see a spear, a sword called "Dragon Killer" and another weapon called "Orichalcum."

The boss pics give a look at Dark Knight, who can make quick movements, and a giant snake whose weak spot is its tail.

From also detailed the game's official soundtrack today. Set for release on November 25 through Aniplex, the single disc soundtrack will retail for ¥2,310 and include a special sticker and picture label for its first print run.

The game itself sees release on November 5.

It doesn't have a booth at the Tokyo Game Show this year.

Even more screens.

Edited by Dante

I expected similiarities to Zelda but that trailer showed the game as pretty much a straight rip off. The music at times I thought was from LTTP, it had the Zelda chicken things, boomerang to hit switch puzzle thing and the game just looks like Zelda and plays like it lol.

It should be fun mind.

In addition to the world map, From's latest update on the game revealed a fourth playable character. Joinng the Hero, Prince, and Scholar types comes the Ancient Hero. In the game's story, this is the hero of legend who, long ago, sealed away the devil demon Onikis. This was back when Dotnia Kingdom was still 2D.

And closing off today's update, some details on the game's magic system. As you progress in the game, you'll earn the ability to cast "Shader Magic." The examples shared by From today have rendering-themed names like Parallax Map, Reflection, Normal Map and Frozen Shader. You'll have to use these both to combat enemies and as a means of solving puzzles.

New screens can be found here.

World map.

b4jj0p.jpg

From Answers Your 3D Dot Game Heroes Questions

Got some burning questions about 3D Dot Game Heroes? You probably do! Other players have burning questions too! Maybe your questions are the same! If so, perhaps you'll find an answer to your question at the FAQ From Software put up yesterday at the game's official site.

Here are the questions and answers, translated or approximated into English:

How hard is the game?

They're aiming for the normal mode to be passable by most people. There's also an extremely hard mode (I think the name for this translates to "Difficulty Level From").

Do the enemies break into dots when you defeat them?

Yes, they break into small blocks. This is done using physics, so the way the blocks fly out changes based off how you kill the foe. You can also touch the fallen blocks to make them roll around.

Is there a creation element?

You can freely edit your main character. You can make modifications to preset designs, or create from scratch. However, you can't edit the game's other characters.

Can you exchange data with others?

This is possible by exchanging the edit data in your save data management folder.

Can you edit maps and stages?

You cannot edit anything except for the main character.

Can you change characters and jobs?

This is partially possible. When starting the game, you can select from three types of main characters: hero, prince, and scholar. You can change characters during the loading screens. [NOTE: this FAQ seems to be based off old information, unless the Legendary Hero unveiled late last week is just another version of the hero class.]

Are there online elements?

The game is not online compatible.

Can you play co-op?

It's a single player game.

Can you change the camera?

Partially. You can select from four preset camera angles.

Is this an action RPG or a command RPG?

It's an action RPG

Is it going to be sold at retail or via download?

It's a retail game.

Are there additional gameplay elements outside of the main story?

Yes. There are a number of sub story quests. You'll also find weapon customization, item collection, monster collection, and multiple difficulties.

Are there plans for an Xbox 360 version?

No. It's a PlayStation 3-only title.

How long is the play time?

For most, it should take 25 to 30 hours to clear the game. Including all the other stuff, like item collection and the hard difficulty mode, and this goes to 45 to 50 hours.

Can you always save?

You can always save. However, there are restart points. If you save on the field, you'll start back at the previous inn. If you save in a dungeon, you'll start back at the dungeon's entrance.

Is the text hard to read?

You can change the text size for dialogue windows. You can make it larger than the default size

Is there voice?

No. Like an old game, there's audio expression through sound. [Not sure what they're talking about here -- maybe the little dot-dot-dot sounds that play as text prints out.]

Are there secret or trick weapons?

We're developing it to fulfill expectations. See for yourself for details.

Are there mini games?

There are a number of mini games that will consume you.

Can you play as Spelunker?

Clear certain conditions, and you'll be able to use Spelunker as the main character.

Are there a large number of swords and shields?

There is a large variety of unique types.

How big can the giant swords get?

Depending on the sword, the size extents change. Some can get so big that they fill the screen.

Does this game steal from the Flash game Nagakute Futoi Oreo no ***?

We've received permission from the maker of the game. [This is in reference to some concern people had about some of the elements of 3D Dot Game Heroes resembling the above Flash game. The maker of the Flash game silenced those concerns by making a blog post saying that the 3D Dot Game Heroes creators checked with him first.]

Can you only move in four directions?

You can move in eight directions.

It's difficult to read just hiragana and katakana

There is some Kanji.

Do be sure and check out the official site. The site is set up like an RPG, with old-school menus. Many of the options lead to movies, so click around!

2132393983.jpg

No. Like an old game, there's audio expression through sound. [Not sure what they're talking about here -- maybe the little dot-dot-dot sounds that play as text prints out.]

Surely it means that there will be various noises playing during certain scenes? Like a loud noise to show surprise or other noises associated with various moods/emotions?

It's all looking - and sounding - pretty nice, the only thing I don't like is that while it copies Zelda in almost every way, near the end of this video it seems to show that you can't 'hop' down over ledges in the overworld without losing health which is a bit meh but apart from that it's shaping up to be pretty awesome. :)

The only other thing I can see maybe being a problem is that, the fact that you can completely change the main char will probably mean that the accompanying story will probably be quite rubbish or non-existant because picture this if you will...

King character - "And so it's up to you to save the world!"

*camera pans to main char*

*Player has edited the main hero into a random object, say... a turd*

Main character - "..."

It'd just seem a bit silly no? :p

The only other thing I can see maybe being a problem is that, the fact that you can completely change the main char will probably mean that the accompanying story will probably be quite rubbish or non-existant because picture this if you will...

King character - "And so it's up to you to save the world!"

*camera pans to main char*

*Player has edited the main hero into a random object, say... a turd*

Main character - "..."

It'd just seem a bit silly no? :p

I would say that adds an element of fun to the game. You could either be some buff hero or you could just be some small pixelated toad like creature if you wanted. A turd or a penis would be taking it to extremes, but it's a single player game and so the people who make them obviously will find it funny. I don't see the problem.

As usual, I will attempt to make my character one of the Daft Punk pair.

I would say that adds an element of fun to the game. You could either be some buff hero or you could just be some small pixelated toad like creature if you wanted. A turd or a penis would be taking it to extremes, but it's a single player game and so the people who make them obviously will find it funny. I don't see the problem.

It's not a problem as such, it just means that the story will kind of fall by the wayside as a result because your character is a variable instead of a constant, though you're right, I'm sure it won't matter when actually playing the game. :D