NEurope
killer kirby

3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)

You're crazy! It's like lego on steroids, how can you not like that?

I can appreciate it and see that it's good just don't care for it sorry.

Also, like I said that may be attributable to the camera angles. I might change my mind some seeing it in motion.

I think it looks great in those screenshots. Very out there. I love the whole retro look. Could prove very interesting if they play with that throughout the entirety of the game. Will have to wait and see more to see whether it'll maintain the charm seen here but it should do.

It looks amazing as screenshots, but something just makes it look odd as a game.

One thing I notice is that the depth of field (or whatever it's called) is terrible in some shots, with most of the stuff on screen being blurred. This picture shows what I mean:

zl5jm9.jpg

Hopefully it will still look awesome when it's all moving. I'm looking forward to seeing movies of it.

Do you mean draw distance? If so that might just be a blur effect. Then again it might be a fault.

No, he means the Depth of Field is a bit odd. Basically the only thing in focus in his chosen screen is the main character. The background(castle/treeline) is blurred, but so is the foreground(rabbit) It would look better if the enemy wasn't exploding because I suspect that it might have been in focus too judging by the fence. But it would be best if they choose either the background or foreground to blur and leave the other in focus.

Although, I think it may be as you said and the background is blurred to help achieve their draw distance.

Another good example though is opening the chest, the chest is blurred the background is too but the character isn't. It just looks a little off. Although, the main view of the castle and the jumping thing are both normal with only the far background out of focus.

It's coming out in Japan in November 2009 for the PlayStation 3. I haven't heard any word on an American release yet, but I'm going to try to track down an answer, and when/if I hear anything, I'll get back to you here.

Source.

If they treat this like they did Demon Souls, i.e. English throughout, No hint of chinese, then Im heading to yesasia and importing this.

Edited by Deathjam

More screens:

s13.jpg

25s8qav.jpg

13ygndl.jpg

24enh2x.jpg

smby9d.jpg

es6on8.jpg

16knzsw.jpg

Some gamers want bad tranlation job in the name of old school. :)

Personally, i havent played a bad From Software game yet, or should i say, one that I did not like so I think im in the right frame of mind to be excited over this. Im sure if dante posted a list of what they had mad, i would have played most and loved all.

From Software made:

Lost Kingdoms

Lost Kingdoms 2

Armored Core Series

Enchanted Arms

Evergrace

Ninja Blade

Tenchu Z

Tenchu: Shadow Assassins

Shadow Tower (PS)

Shadow Tower: Abyss

To me, this game really looks like what Kings Field would look like if made into a retro game. But rather then using retro graphics, they make an awesome way to make a HD game very very unique :D

It does indeed have that Dragon Quest 1 feel...buuuut, it also has a Zelda feel to it as well, doesn't look like a turn base RPG, but a game like Zelda: ALttP

Do you mean draw distance? If so that might just be a blur effect. Then again it might be a fault.

No, he means the Depth of Field is a bit odd. Basically the only thing in focus in his chosen screen is the main character. The background(castle/treeline) is blurred, but so is the foreground(rabbit) It would look better if the enemy wasn't exploding because I suspect that it might have been in focus too judging by the fence. But it would be best if they choose either the background or foreground to blur and leave the other in focus.

Although, I think it may be as you said and the background is blurred to help achieve their draw distance.

Another good example though is opening the chest, the chest is blurred the background is too but the character isn't. It just looks a little off. Although, the main view of the castle and the jumping thing are both normal with only the far background out of focus.

Yeah, depth of field is a bit different to draw distance. Depth of field is more to do with photography/videography. I'll draw a crude diagram. Imagine the O is the photographer (or in this case the game camera), the ---'s are things out of focus and the +++'s are things in focus. Imagine the diagrams are side on (or overhead, doesn't really matter). The further to the right, the greater the distance from the camera.

Deep depth of field: O---++++++++++---

Shallow depth of field: O--------++--------

A shallow depth of field adds focus and a sense of depth, whereas a deep depth of field allows you to get a better view of things. Whilst I quite like when games use a shallower depth of field, I think this game has gone a bit over the top with it (in some of the screenshots anyway), to the point where it looks quite difficult/annoying to play.

It does look amazing though. I can't wait to see some videos.

More screens:

s13.jpg

25s8qav.jpg

13ygndl.jpg

24enh2x.jpg

smby9d.jpg

es6on8.jpg

16knzsw.jpg

Some gamers want bad tranlation job in the name of old school. :)

From Software made:

Lost Kingdoms

Lost Kingdoms 2

Armored Core Series

Enchanted Arms

Evergrace

Ninja Blade

Tenchu Z

Tenchu: Shadow Assassins

Shadow Tower (PS)

Shadow Tower: Abyss

You forgot Demon Souls, Otogi 1 and 2, and Chromehounds, of which the first two I played and loved.

From that list, really the only games I could play were the Armored Core Series, of which I played almost all of them. Shadow tower was a japan only release, and I never owned a gamecube, Playstation or xbox 360.

Although I did play one of the tenchu games and sucked at it.

You forgot Demon Souls, Otogi 1 and 2, and Chromehounds, of which the first two I played and loved.

From that list, really the only games I could play were the Armored Core Series, of which I played almost all of them. Shadow tower was a japan only release, and I never owned a gamecube, Playstation or xbox 360.

Although I did play one of the tenchu games and sucked at it.

Actually Shadow Tower was released in the US too. It's hard mostly due to odd controls (first person before analog) but neat and fun.

Actually Shadow Tower was released in the US too. It's hard mostly due to odd controls (first person before analog) but neat and fun.

Thanks for the correction :) I generally dislike 1st person rpgs. Dunno why, just prefer 3rd person. Actually that applies to most of my gaming tastes.

Thanks for the correction :) I generally dislike 1st person rpgs. Dunno why, just prefer 3rd person. Actually that applies to most of my gaming tastes.

Hmm, I seem to like them, perhaps because there are very few of them so they usually always feel nice and refreshing (Although for some reason I was never into Fallout 3 *Ducks for cover* )

Shin Megami Tensei and the Kings Field series are games I really enjoy compared to most other JRPG's

Hmm, I seem to like them, perhaps because there are very few of them so they usually always feel nice and refreshing (Although for some reason I was never into Fallout 3 *Ducks for cover* )

Shin Megami Tensei and the Kings Field series are games I really enjoy compared to most other JRPG's

To be fair, the Fallout series isn't JRPG, and did you enjoy Oblivion/Morrowind?

To be fair, the Fallout series isn't JRPG, and did you enjoy Oblivion/Morrowind?

Sorry, I should have said RPG's in all, I still have yet to play Oblivion, but am planning on soon downloading it, since it's on the xbox live downloadable service.

Well, Oblivion plays very similar to Fallout 3. There is hope though as I've read from people that hate oblivion love Fallout 3 and vice versa, some people hate both and others love both.

Yeah, I hate Oblivion. Fallout 3 is awesome though (bar the myriad of bugs).

I swear I remember reading your complaints about the game Daft? As in not liking it? I think the game is fantastic, epic in scale and so many cool things to do in it. Has a real retro feel to the game which I absolutely love.

It's just awesome all round.

I was probably pissed off because I killed all the slavers around Lincoln's Memorial and then when I came across that mission to help the escaped slaves and kill all the slavers at Lincoln's Memorial it wouldn't pick up on the fact I had f@$king done it.

As you can probably tell, I'm still slightly pissed off about that.

I also kind of lost interest but this incident, combined with locking myself in an underground maze for about 3 hours looking for a key in an item that must have been the sizer of a goddamn pixel were major factors.

Hmmm was that the Blood Ties quest? Searching for keys in Fallout 3 is never a requirement of the game, but they do make up part of the great extra things to do within the phat playtime. I haven't had any major flaws with Fallout so I've only got praise for it, one of the coolest experiences ever crafted.

I don't think it was a quest. I was just doing some exploring. I entered a tall apartment building. Went into the basement by dropping through a hole in the floor and then couldn't get out because the only was was to go down three more levels, progressively getting darker/moreannoying/havingmoreenemies, and then going back up the three floors and opening the door...with a key that is hidden somewhere in the three basement floors.

It was just annoying. Mainly it was that and the slave thing.

I loved the exploring though. Reminded me of The Road.