NEurope
Beast

XBox 360 achievements: fun or chore?

Do you do achievements for fun or to boost your gamerscore?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do achievements for fun or to boost your gamerscore?

• It's all about the fun!
    • Obviously I do it for the gamerscore!
    • A bit of both
    • I don't bother with them

I didn't know whether this thread would be okay on General Chit Chat so I posted it here to be on the safe side.

Basically, I had a conversation earlier with some of my mates and we were talking about the last game we completed. I said I completed Assassin's Creed and I got all of the achievements except for killing all the templars. My mate turned around and then called me sad. I asked why he called me that and he said because I'm not having fun, I'm just doing games for achievements so I can get a higher gamerscore (which isn't 100% true by the way, lol).

But I said to him that I do it because I normally complete a game within two to five days and the achievements make the lifespan of the games last longer for me and plus I find doing them more fun than doing the game sometimes. (AC took me two days to complete, along with the achievements, it took me a week)

But then it got me thinking whether I'm alone in thinking this or not. So my question, N-Europe, is do you do achievements for fun or do you do it just to get a higher gamerscore?

I do it for a bit of both but 97% for fun :yay:

Edited by Animal

I bloody love achievements. There's something about that useless number going up on your Gamercard and all the work for the 5 second notification and "bu-dink!" noise, too. I'm not as dedicated as some people (I'm looking at you H-o-T :D) but I do try and squeeze the games I've got for all the G they're worth, as long as the achievements aren't gonna take me days. I don't play games I dislike, either.

Didn't actually complete a game with 1000/1000 (or 200/200). And I don't have the need to do so (and the time^^).

Maybe someday there will be a game which I desperately want to complete with 1000/1000.

But achievements are fun, nonetheless.

It really depends on the game and how fun the achievement is.

Here's my "completed" games: Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Banjo-Kazzoie: Nuts & Bolts, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, The Maw, Call of Duty 4, Mega Drive Ultimate Collection and Sonic the Hedgehog (I'm missing the multiplayer one in StH2). I also have 1000 in BioShock, but they bunged in an impossible achievement with the plasmid pack.

It's often very satisfying to get achievements (well...it can get annoying when it showers you with them in the tutorial of some games).

What I don't like is that some achievements seem to take away from games. For example, the squad ones in Mass Effect. Some missions are geared towards (story-wise) certain characters. I like taking characters who would seem more important for that mission's story. I also don't like single-player-ranked-online achievements.

I do like ones which are tempting, but just out of reach (like Nothing Special in Left 4 Dead).

never go out of my way to get achievments, if I unlock some during a playthrough of a game then so be it. If something looks fun to get and its a welcome distraction from the game then i'll go for that as well. CBA with 90% of them though. Closest ive got to 1000/1000 was Halo3 then they ruined it by bringing out more achievments.

my average is about 640/1000

I play for fun. If an achievement is fun (stand up Halo 3, L4D) I'll make more of an effort to get them. If it's a grind, they can forget about it (fuck you, Mass Effect. Fuck you very much)

Achievements are cool if you do the fun ones.

Gamerscore, however, is probably the worst invention ever. What is it supposed to do? Measure how much time you waste?

Their mostly fun and only feel like a chore if it is one.

Eternal Sonata is one of the worst perpetrator of bad achievements...

Some of them are great, some of them suck. The Gears of War online achievements are pure gay for example. Total chore. The Orange Box had great achievements. This is a deal breaker for me actually. If I hear a game has crappy achievements, I won't buy it.

my average is about 640/1000

I play for fun. If an achievement is fun (stand up Halo 3, L4D) I'll make more of an effort to get them. If it's a grind, they can forget about it (fuck you, Mass Effect. Fuck you very much)

This. But if I really like the game I'll go all out and try to get all the achievements. I like the game, so it's not a chore collecting them; Crackdown's Orbs. Any other game I wouldn't have bothered, but I loved Crackdown, and so I got all the orbs.

Gamerscore adds a bit of rivalry with friends, so I don't see what's so pointless about it. If you don't like it, shut up moaning about it.

I'll always see if it's worth it to get that beautiful platinum at the end of the tunnel. It has made games more fun, made me play them in different ways.

I got bored of achievement points. The trophy system is better. *Dives for cover*

Mainly the Platinum. Completing a game 100% and seeing that bastard platinum pop up is glorious. You know it and everyone else who sees it knows it.

I probably wouldn't push for the last 100 or so points in a 360 game to get 1000. I would definitely go after the last couple trophies to get the Platinum.

Also the set bronze/silver/gold trophies (And the levelling system) makes it way easier to gauge how good someone is.

When I hit 10,000 with my games score it was meh. Those points came for the seven billion games I played. When I hit Level 10 on my PSN card, I knew those Platinums from Wolverine, Burnout and Buzz made a massive difference.

I love achievements, personally I think they add an extra level to your game, something to go back for, something to high-five your mate when you finally snag. Some people call the gamerscore some kind of e-penis but it's no more than a glorified, over-arching high-score leaderboard. Like the high score at the arcades, but for everything.

I don't think there's any difference between the platinum trophy and that little gold 1000/1000 star. If anything the trophy system makes it harder to share what you've earned or compare yourself to your friends.

If it's a grind, they can forget about it (fuck you, Mass Effect. Fuck you very much)
Funnily enough I loved grinding through Mass Effect for the full gamerscore, I got better and faster at it every time, until I could finish every mission on the citadel in one big 20 minute circuit (except those bastard keeprs) - and it gave me an opportunity to try out every class (...twice).

I go for the 100% in 360 games or as close as I can get, as I can't stand to have low percentage completed games on my tag. Sounds good on the PS3 though.

I don't think there's any difference between the platinum trophy and that little gold 1000/1000 star.

When did this star thing happen?

If anything the trophy system makes it harder to share what you've earned or compare yourself to your friends.

How? You can compare levels, number of total trophies, number of individual trophies or platinums. It's got a great structure.

I go for the 100% in 360 games or as close as I can get, as I can't stand to have low percentage completed games on my tag. Sounds good on the PS3 though.

I'm an OCD driven ADHD gamer. I need the superficial token of a platinum to drive me on to 100%. :heh: That's why I lost interest in achievements.

I don't bother with them. Maybe a few years ago when I had more time/no girlfriend etc I would bother but now na. :)

Love them to bits, one of the best things to come out of this gen for me. I dread to think what I will be like when I do get around to picking up a PS3 now that they have the trophy system in place.

If you don't like it, shut up moaning about it.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I love achievements, personally I think they add an extra level to your game, something to go back for, something to high-five your mate when you finally snag. Some people call the gamerscore some kind of e-penis but it's no more than a glorified, over-arching high-score leaderboard. Like the high score at the arcades, but for everything.

I don't think there's any difference between the platinum trophy and that little gold 1000/1000 star. If anything the trophy system makes it harder to share what you've earned or compare yourself to your friends.

Funnily enough I loved grinding through Mass Effect for the full gamerscore, I got better and faster at it every time, until I could finish every mission on the citadel in one big 20 minute circuit (except those bastard keeprs) - and it gave me an opportunity to try out every class (...twice).

I think the Gamerscore system is a little worse because it's all adds up to an arbitrary 'score'. As well as that, there's tonnes of 360 games that are really easy to get gamerpoints from (pretty well documented too), which kind of devalues them.

Trophies and achievements are only partially fun. It's obvious that some are fun to get, while some are just 'checklist' objectives. Like obtaining X amount of kills with every weapon. I think people that have loaaads of perfect achievement games in their list are clearly doing it for bragging/completionist reasons. Achievements are a mixed bag.

Snore. I guess it has been at least a few months since this was last discussed, but I'm sure it's been raised in the 360 general thread at least 5 times, the PS3 thread at least once, and had at least 2 other topics of it's own.

How? You can compare levels, number of total trophies, number of individual trophies or platinums. It's got a great structure.

Lets see..

Levels - Gamerscore

No of Trophies - No of Achievements

Individual Trophies - Individual Achievements

Platinum Trophies - 1000/1000

I don't see any difference...

The level thing still has the same problem that gamescore has - some games will be much easier than others.

Exactly, the trophy system isn't any more difficult to understand.

I'd argue it is clearer though. If the spread of trophies is heavily weighted towards golds that is much more impressive than if it is weighted towards bronze. You can't do that with achievements.

Edited by Daft

I never got into the Achievement thing, probably because I was a late adopter for the Xbox. So I only have just under 6000G. Trophies, on the other hand, I totally whore.

Lets see..

Levels - Gamerscore

No of Trophies - No of Achievements

Individual Trophies - Individual Achievements

Platinum Trophies - 1000/1000

The level thing still has the same problem that gamescore has - some games will be much easier than others.

Well, you could get all the easy achievements in lots of games (and easy games) and these would still add up to a big score. But if you did this on PSN you'd just have a chunky of shitty bronze trophies. I don't think the accumulated level really counts for much...no one has any idea if that means someone is actually good or not, lol (e.g. Level 8).

Edited by Sheikah

I mainly do it for fun and as already mentioned i think it adds something to the game.

I try to get as high a score on each game as i can, i like looking at the game in my list and getting a sence accomplishment about having a high score next to that game (as silly as that might sound). There has been some achievements i have tried a little to hard for and there was a time i rented Avatar for its easy 1000 score (litrally took less than 5 mins!!!!).

The likes of CoD4, Bioshock and Resident Evil 5 (ignoring the 200 extra for versus) i'm very happy to have all the achievements for them!!

Overall though i enjoy collecting them! :)