NEurope
canand

No Nintendo press conference at Gamescom

Nintendo doesn't seem to have much faith in the Gamescom conference. We have now learned that the Big N won't be putting together any sort of press conference for the event. We've already learned that companies such as EA will be doing a presentation of sorts, but Nintendo has decided to opt out. This most likely has something to do with Nintendo's own Fall summit, which usually happens around October.

Never heard of Gamescon. I doubt Nintendo have much to show for their fall summit- we've still got a fair amount of stuff from the 08 Summit which has still to be released, and thats alongside their E3 announcements.

Never heard of Gamescon. I doubt Nintendo have much to show for their fall summit- we've still got a fair amount of stuff from the 08 Summit which has still to be released, and thats alongside their E3 announcements.

have a look on here

http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/

Gamescom has taken over from Leipzig., I believe.

Gamescom has taken over from Leipzig., I believe.

Yeah, quite stupid actually, they discontinued the Leipzing one in favour of something new with no tradition at all.

The only reason I even care about gamescom is the fact that a PS3 price drop is rumored. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to come to this sort of event anyway.

The only reason I even care about gamescom is the fact that a PS3 price drop is rumored.

But thats been rumoured for a good couple of years. But I'm personally not convinced a price cut is the answer, Sony have comparatively few titles which are selling the platform, while Microsoft pump title after title to retail. Thats the big issue for Sony- probably more so than an inflated price. The PS3 has achieved some impressive sales figures with such a high price, so is the price really that prohibitive? I suspect the lack of GTA DLC, the lack of major FPS, the lack of established franchises, the lack of bankable exclusive titles and the general negativity towards the machine are a bigger problems for Sony.

Back on subject, Nintendo hasn't really shown much support for European games conferences, so its no big surprise. I think because Nintendo lack any investment in European gaming- excluding an expired(?) contract with TAFKAK (The Artists Formerly Known As Kuju)- they see no reason to attend.

Edited by david.dakota

The PS3 costs Sony about $250 to produce (They've announced this recently). With tons of people waiting for a price cut or slim now, I think its a bit more likely to happen this year.

Anyway, I don't think having investments in Europe is why Nintendo doesn't attend European events. They don't attend events like E for All either. I think they just like doing their own thing aside from E3.

On another note, If that German law against "Mature" games being brought into the country passes, I wonder if it will have any sort of effect on events like this.

Edited by Emasher

But thats been rumoured for a good couple of years. But I'm personally not convinced a price cut is the answer, Sony have comparatively few titles which are selling the platform, while Microsoft pump title after title to retail. Thats the big issue for Sony- probably more so than an inflated price. The PS3 has achieved some impressive sales figures with such a high price, so is the price really that prohibitive? I suspect the lack of GTA DLC, the lack of major FPS, the lack of established franchises, the lack of bankable exclusive titles and the general negativity towards the machine are a bigger problems for Sony.

Back on subject, Nintendo hasn't really shown much support for European games conferences, so its no big surprise. I think because Nintendo lack any investment in European gaming- excluding an expired(?) contract with TAFKAK (The Artists Formerly Known As Kuju)- they see no reason to attend.

Price is clearly the problem for the PS3, it was actually outselling the 360 week on week for a period but then Microsoft cut the price now. PS3 is selling slower then it did last year because it's price is stalling, it needs a cut, put simply.

As for games, I'd say they're pretty much covered for exclusives as much as Microsoft. The PlayStation brand alone should sell the thing, as alot of my friends still think Final Fantasy is a PlayStation only franchise lol.

But er, I don't think we'll hear alot from Nintendon announcements until E3 2010, afterall we got the new SMG and Metroid next year, no need to announce another epic.

Price is clearly the problem for the PS3, it was actually outselling the 360 week on week for a period but then Microsoft cut the price now. PS3 is selling slower then it did last year because it's price is stalling, it needs a cut, put simply.

As for games, I'd say they're pretty much covered for exclusives as much as Microsoft. The PlayStation brand alone should sell the thing, as alot of my friends still think Final Fantasy is a PlayStation only franchise lol.

But er, I don't think we'll hear alot from Nintendon announcements until E3 2010, afterall we got the new SMG and Metroid next year, no need to announce another epic.

Acordding to this chart the PS3 rise in sales everytime 360 dropped in price.

USConsoles_cumulative-5.png

Some announcement of Nintendo games are in October example like Punch Out Wii.

Edited by Dante

PS3 Slim is being announced at GamesCom, I'd bet my house on it.

PS3 Slim is being announced at GamesCom, I'd bet my house on it.

We will see SONY game show on tuesday night and is three hours long.

We will see SONY game show on tuesday night and is three hours long.

SCEE Clarifies 'Slimmer' Cologne Press Briefing

It's standard length

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) has told SPOnG the following regarding a re-timing of its Cologne press briefing:

"We've scheduled the conference for 18.30 - 20.30 (CET). When I first sent out the schedule it was longer as our Central office who drew up the agenda were making sure people left enough time to get to the venue before we started and for drinks etc afterwards."

The previously understood three-hour event had fuelled speculation that something big - or rather Slim - was on the cards. Rumours have risen regarding PS3 Slim release news as well as PS3 'Phat' price cuts; PSP Go release details; Movie Stores and more.

As it turns out, then the basic plan is a standard press conference - but make sure you're there on time.

Edited by canand

What the hell is wrong with Nintendo? They just don't like conferences do they? I mean it's been a while since we heard info about new games from them..why not just update us on how these games are going? Theres just no excitement from them anymore...least Sony is trying. So we are going to hear nothing from Nintendo at all from one of the very few European gaming events? From a business perspective thats rather daft.

What the hell is wrong with Nintendo? They just don't like conferences do they? I mean it's been a while since we heard info about new games from them..why not just update us on how these games are going? Theres just no excitement from them anymore...least Sony is trying. So we are going to hear nothing from Nintendo at all from one of the very few European gaming events? From a business perspective thats rather daft.

For me, that is excitement, not knowing what's to come:awesome:

For me, that is excitement, not knowing what's to come:awesome:

I do agree...but in Nintendos case we're waiting just a tad too long.

Hmm, this seems to be a big deal, lots of announcements, exciting videos.... oh, except Nintendo don't agree...

Oh Nintendo, please don't let success turn to arrogance; if Yoda only taught us one thing (which he didn't) it was where arrogance leads to....

I wouldn't worry to much. The Tokyo Game Show starts in just over a month and Nintendo usually performs well there.

I wouldn't worry to much. The Tokyo Game Show starts in just over a month and Nintendo usually performs well there.

The only thing I can remember Nintendo every showing at TGS was the Wii Remote. Normally, they're not even at TGS. And they aren't this year as usual.

Nintendo were complaining that their E3 presence wasn't so great and how they are going to change things next year. Next year? A year is a long time in the video gaming world and they could have gone to GameCon in Europe or have some kind of presence at next months TGS but they won't.

Sometimes they have their own meeting before TGS but I think most eyes will be on TGS itself.

Gamescom awards:

Game of the show:

Starcraft 2

Best family game:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

Best console game:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Best PC game:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Best online game:

Aion

Best handheld game:

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Yeah, quite stupid actually, they discontinued the Leipzing one in favour of something new with no tradition at all.

The reason was because this new location has better transportation links (better airport connections mainly). I tried going to the previous one the year before and it was a nightmare to organise.