NEurope
Dante

RAGE

Rage is an upcoming first-person shooter and racing video game in development by id Software. It will use the company's new id Tech 5 engine. The game was announced on August 2, 2007 at QuakeCon. On the same day, a trailer for the game was released by Gametrailers.com.

Information available so far indicates that the game takes place in a post-apocalyptic world similar to that of movies such as Mad Max 2.

In an interview with GameSpot, designer Tim Willits revealed that the game is set in the near future following a comet collision with the earth.

Influences on the driving and racing gameplay include games such as MotorStorm and Burnout, according to another Willits interview by Shacknews.Players will be able to upgrade their cars with money won from races.

Reports indicate that id is developing Rage with a T-for-Teen rating in mind, and that the Gnu/Linux, Xbox 360, Windows, and Mac versions might ship on two, three or four dual-layer dvd discs, while the PS3 version will ship on one Blu-ray Disc. John Carmack has revealed that an uncompressed build of Rage is one terabyte in size.

Edited by Dante

Major bumpage.

Got it today. It's pretty good so far, but something feels off. I'm not sure I like the way the character moves. Everything else is pretty ace though. The animations and graphics are awesome.

Although the game suffers badly from texture pop in. For example, if you're facing one way, then turn away and back again, the textures sometimes have to reload. They're not quick about it either. Anywhere up to a second, depending where you are. It's not enough to ruin the game, but it's annoying until you learn to ignore it. Shame, since it's an amazing looking game otherwise.

bite my tongure buitch beat snoop gofdgog nigga buite my tongue butvh ch see sthe sbnoop dog nigga1111122211!!!!!!!!

bite my tongure buitch beat snoop gofdgog nigga buite my tongue butvh ch see sthe sbnoop dog nigga1111122211!!!!!!!!

1_free_internet.jpg

Apart from the texture popup issues, it really is a great looking game. I'm not a huge fan of straight shooters, but this was probably my second most played game of Extra Life.

Another thing that's unusual for me is that I use the shotgun a lot. I don't get on with them in other games, but in this I use it more than others. Not sure what it is about it in Rage, it just works well.

Apart from the texture popup issues, it really is a great looking game. I'm not a huge fan of straight shooters, but this was probably my second most played game of Extra Life.

Another thing that's unusual for me is that I use the shotgun a lot. I don't get on with them in other games, but in this I use it more than others. Not sure what it is about it in Rage, it just works well.

I properly fell in love with this game watching you play it. Definitely going to pick it up early next year once the christmas madness is over.

Geeez had to dig around for this thread surprised it didn't get more attention but certainly think its worth some bumping. Finished it today and really think as a shooter its a fantastic game. As Goafer said earlier there is a texture pop in sometimes its so bad that the surrounding literally have no textures on them...it even affects the menus as well, sometimes you hit select to bring up your inventory and such the text is blocky and blurry.

Whilst yes I said as a shooter it is fantastic I mean in the vein of the classic ID experience. Whilst yes they would like you think this is a an open world game it really isn't to be honest. Even the "open" parts where your driving around you are driving amongest hills, mountains, valleys and the such like where you path is clearly defined. I was expecting a Fallout style world with tons of tons to discover and such but thats clearly not the focus here. They have just about enough towns for the story to pan out in the 8-10 hours you will be playing the game for. Also the actual "levels" are all indoors and quite linear the only different routes lead you to pick ups you can use for crafting (known as engineering)

For me Borderlands does better it in terms of a post apocalyptic shooter but again it has a different focus with its WoW colour coded looting mechanics.

I'd love to see a sequel in this world and for them to open it up slightly more. This game is hovering around the ?10-?15 mark new and I would certainly recommend it at that price (I paid ?13.97)

I was considering purchasing this title at the time of release, if i clear a few games from the back-catalouge then i may consider a purchase. Sounds like one of them under-gems that has slipped the net.

It is a very poorly designed shooter for 2011.

That's why I said it's great for a shooter of the id vein.

I've started playing this -- I'm about 4 hours in on nightmare mode. I really thought the game would be something just about bearable, but actually so far it's extremely playable and much better looking than I anticipated.

It feels similar to Red Faction: Guerrilla (another game I really need to go back and finish), and is surprisingly linear so far. I can admit that there's nothing extremely unique about the game so far, besides cramming a few different types of gameplay/minigames together (i.e. racing/card game/other mini games), but even these are shared with other FPS games out there.

I have no particular care about the story line. The silent FPS protagonist is usually backed up by some form of character-building input from some other source but in this world nobody knows who you are and, really, it doesn't seem to matter much at all!

Did anyone struggle with any of the achievements? I've been spending ages in each area making sure I've got all the pick-ups and might turn to a guide before I get to the next disc to verify that I've not missed anything.

I just finished this today, and didn't think it was anything special. Not bad, but not especially great, either. Just sort of average and boring. It took me nearly a week to finish despite being less than ten hours long. Normally I'd finish a game this size in two or three days.

The driving and shooting are both solid, but it just feels so... not special, you know? Driving around gets repetitive really quickly as you have to drive back and forth constantly to get to missions. There's no reason at all to explore, as you will have to go back to any interesting area again for a mission later. Most areas are closed until you need to go there, anyway. The light RPG elements just made me wish I was playing Fallout and when you're on a mission, you're just walking through linear hallways shooting bad guys like you do in every other shooter ever. There's little variety, nothing to interact with and every mission ends with a bad guy opening a door that leads back to the beginning of the level so you can get back to your car easily.

The story is simple (blah blah post-apocalyptic world blah blah evil government blah blah resistance), but could have been interesting enough if there'd been more of it. First you do some favors for one guy before he lets you go to the next settlement, then you do some favors for another guy so he'll let you stay in his settlement, but then you save the leader of the resistance and he takes you to their hideout underneath some city and there you have to do a bunch of favors for the guy who runs that place. Characters are completely discarded once you leave an area and there's no ultimate bad guy other than 'the government', which is just as well because the ending is terrible and just seems to set up a sequel.

I can't speak for the graphics on consoles, but the PC version is a mixed bag to say the least. Sometimes it looks good enough. The desert and the settlements look pretty nice... until you get too close to the textures and realize how smudgy most of them are. The graphics in the two city missions in the first half of the game (both of which take place on roughly the same map, so that's fun!) are outright embarrassing and any building more than a few feet away is a blurry mess.

By far the worst thing about the graphics is how you can't even turn around quickly without textures popping in all over the place. I can only assume this isn't the case on consoles based on people saying how great-looking the game is, but any nice-looking area on the PC is quickly ruined as soon as you turn ninety degrees.

Okay, this is going to sound really petty, but this was the point where I decided that I outright didn't like the game.

Basically, you enter a canyon to kill some bad guys (as usual), and there's some loot on the left side that you have to jump on some rocks to reach. Now, this is annoying because the game is filled to the brim with invisible walls, and if there hadn't been loot up there, there's absolutely no way they would have let you jump up there.

And then I turn around and realize that there's also loot on the right side of the entrance, except this loot is on a much higher ledge. There are some rocks to jump up on, but even where the ledge is at its lowest, it's still too high to jump up on.

Except...

You can climb up it. There's an invisible ladder there. This is a game where you can't vault over ledges normally and you're lucky if you can jump on top of anything that's higher than your knees (usually: invisible walls), but in this one specific place in this one specific level you can climb up a ledge.

That's just... horrible, horrible game design. You can't just change the rules like that. And for what? Some worthless loot. Good job, Id. You'll get no sympathy from me when your studio is shut down.

So yeah, that's a stupid thing to complain about!

I finished the game in about a week, too - nightmare mode all collectibles. Only achievements left are online/co-op. I heard a lot of people complaining about the racing missions but I found all of them incredibly easy, only having to repeat a couple.

Of course there were some very frustrating moments but the ability to save pretty much anywhere covered that. The exploration was indeed really forced by achievements - not knowing when an area would close up or not was terrible - as you said, most areas you returned to - usually during a bounty-board (whatever they called it in RAGE) mission, however many of these areas would be partially closed up. For no reason.

I agree that there's not really anything significantly special about this game. The story was non-existent and the ending left me thinking "... what. That's it?" -- I could imagine a sequel being perfectly decent, but it's just sloppy to leave the game ending like that.

Invisible walls were really rampant - though I don't recall the specific area you mention - but by-and-large it was a case of not trying o be too clever about a situation. A large part of playing a 'new' game (new to you that is, rather than chronologically new to the world) is having to adjust to the limitations that particular game is offering you; knowing when/how to recognise that what you are trying to do is correct. Valve games use light to show you the way around a map, AC3 uses a lot of 'lock-on' for climbing/free-running and the camera often moves towards the next available climbing space/direction. RAGE is basically an extremely linear game where there's only ever going to be one way to do something, so like in FO3 where I don't try and find shortcuts over mountains (because inevitably I'll get glitch-stuck in some crevace somewhere) I don't even try to go someplae in rage without a clear path. But yes, that's a valid thing to be disappointed with.

There's definitely some pop-up in RAGE, however I think it's just more noticable than other games. I've not been keeping tabs on which engine does what but I have noticed that many games have sneaky ways to disguise their pop-up - some more effective than others, i.e. GTA4's trees that fade into view, AC3's weird texture aliasing thing (hard to explain) and RAGE's pixellated textures refining themselves. I'm generally not bothered so long as it sorts itself out reasonably quick - there were a few instances where I was talking to someone and their face was still a blur, however.

I do think the game is worth maybe £10. As you say it's a very short game that can be done in a week. Just not anything exciting or different.

Wow wall of text.

The place that bugged me so much was just after you entered the canyon where you fight the mutants/bandits who wear yellow and come down on zip-lines. Rage is really linear so the invisible walls around the game space doesn't matter, but the loot, man! The loot! I hit upon so many invisible walls while looking for loot. It was a case of, "I wonder if I can jump over that box to reach the loot?", but the answer was usually no and I had to go around. Except when there was no other way to get to the loot, in which case I had to jump over the box.

I've read about missables in the game, and I'm glad I don't care about any of that stuff. I heard that one guy in a garage or something just ups and leaves at some point, taking a sidequest with him and leaving the collectible in the garage unreachable. Things like that are always fun. :indeed:

I actually completely forgot about the job board after accepting one mission from it, but it's probably just as well, since I hate going through the same areas several times. I also think I missed some minor sidequest given out by NPCs, because there's no way of knowing when they have anything interesting to say. Most of the time they just stare at you. Except shop owners, who always have to welcome you to their shop before you're allowed to buy anything.

And while I'm complaining about NPCs, I hate the way you're allowed to move around while they're talking, but they'll stop (and never say the same thing again for the rest of their lives) if you walk three feet away. It's like they're thinking, "oh well, I guess he's more interested in trying to get on top of that box than listening to me." And the subtitles always get mixed with the subtitles for the announcements in the background, which makes it hard to follow what people are saying. Though neither of these issues would have been so bad if I'd cared even slightly about what was going on.

The character textures were always fine for me, but I assume

doesn't happen on consoles, then. To be fair, I never bothered to see if they ever patched it, so maybe they did. If there's a patch that fixes the issue, just pretend I played the game on day one. :p

Yeah having to listen to people speak to you before being able to peruse their wares is a pain. The game was largely a test of patience (which I have, so that's cool). The subtitle confusion was annoying, too -- they're supposed to be colour-coded by the yellow and white texts are very similar.

Have you tried teh co-op thing at all?

No, I haven't tried the co-op mode and probably wouldn't be able to play it anyway for various reasons. I guess you'll have to play it for the achievements, though! I hear it's largely forgettable but entertaining enough to go through once, so it shouldn't be too much trouble assuming you can find someone to play with.

I got that you're a patient gamer when you played through Dishonored without powers on your first playthrough, so Rage shouldn't have been a problem for you. Meanwhile I was all, "aaah stop talking stop talking okay buy ammunition aaaah stop talking just give me my next mission aaaah why do I have to drive so far every time drive faster drive faster oh man this mission is kind of boring."

Ah, well. It's an alright game, I guess. It just fails to stand out. It's like Id is ten years behind the curve at this point. :sad:

yeah I'm down with the patience thing; I have the time to be patient. If I only had 2 hours of gaming per night then I'd totally be more selective, but as it is, having the space for 3 hour gaming slots means I can afford to be patient. I think that's something gamers don't always take into account when looking at games.

^Weeeell worth that price.

If only to come join me in getting the online achievements. I tried to win a race thing online but there's this ONE GUY who is sitting online ALL DAY LONG and he is a stupid high level. My first race I was 196pts (need 200 to win) and out of nowhere he got the win. After that he basically preyed on me and, with his fully upgraded weapons and vehicle, it was impossible for me to defend myself or kill his car. But whenever it was a flat-out race I would win. But I couldn't outrace the rockets.

SO. Annoying.

If anyone has the game (xbox360 ofc) and wants to achievey-up, gimme shout. Otherwise I'll just nightmare co-op splitscreen alone.