NEurope
Roostophe

Pookiablo's JSA Thread

ok ok, so he can be "considerate" and use his MP3 player in the living room while he is dancing around to his idol Bjork or he can connect them up to his Dell speakers and save a few watts... but what if he wants to listen to her while he is having a bath or shower? I am partially convinced, but I am not entirely there. You wouldn't want to get the earphones wet and the Dell speakers aren't going to be any good.. for £4 more he could have got an 8GB Samsung P3, which comes with a built in speaker.

newsflash; having a job isn't exactly fun times either!!

Makes me sad that people have to suffer on waiting lists for medications, and people are just taking the biscuit out of government money (not directly at you villan, but at EVERYONE that does it).

Fuck it, maybe i'll just sit on my ass and claim DLA for the rest of my life :indeed:

At the moment, I'm not claiming JSA. I finished uni in June, am now back home, and I've been constantly looking for work. Filled out applications, visited schools, been to agencies, and so forth. Only about the last month or so have I truly realised how insanely difficult it is to get a teaching job where I live. My Dad has mentioned claiming JSA once or twice, but then I said that I've spent the last four years studying and supporting myself whilst I've been studying to ensure that I build a good life for myself. Claiming JSA would be like admitting failure. That said, I also have very little outgoing at the moment in terms of money. I've got parents who have put a roof over my head, and I think they have been good so far understanding how hard things have been for me. So, at this moment in time, I can live without it and would rather it gets used on someone else who probably needs it more than I do.

I'm optimistic that soon work will come along in some form or another. That said, I'm luckier than many others. I know people out there who didn't do too well in school, and didn't go to University or study for the last few years. For them, it seems almost like an impossible task to them to find work, especially with the way things are in this country at the moment.

There are so many people out there who are trying to make a life for themselves, and are trying to find work. Many of these people claim JSA. The way I see it is a sort of fund to help you whilst you look for work. Helping you with food, rent, your travel expenses, and keeping you sane whilst you look for work. The Villan has made a personal choice and has used this money to buy something, as a thing to keep him sane whilst he carries on looking. Now, if people were spending the JSA money week in and week out and using it to buy luxury goods every single week instead of working, then that is when you have a major problem. I think many people do this, but then I expect that many, many people out there are not proud to be collecting this money. It's difficult to keep your sanity when you are looking for work. What is worse is when you sometimes hear people, especially over the years just say "Get a job!" I've heard that being said to so many people. If it were that easy, then I doubt Villan would be collecting this JSA money in the first place.

I recall somebody in this thread had the idea of some form of community service whilst people were unemployed. My reaction to that is that I think the idea is good, but there are a few issues that I have with it. My issue is that I know quite a few people on this very forum, and many personal friends as well, I know that they have been working constantly for the last few years of their life, studying towards a bigger end goal, yet they cannot now find work. I myself studied for years in order for me to become a Primary School Teacher, and now I cannot find work where I can do that.

I think it was Danny who made the point. What if you had been training for the past few years in the Armed Forces (I think that is your occupation, but please forgive me if I have that wrong) and you had your heart set on that, but then were effectively told that there was no space for you? Would you be content doing this community service? I'm not saying I wouldn't do this service, because I do think that there are plenty of things that need to be done to improve our streets and to make day to day life a better occurrence. But, we trained for a specific purpose. Do you see what I mean?

If there's no room, there's no room - unfortunately capitalism creates issues of space within our organisations.

I'm stuck working in a shop, the work being far from the most desirable but at the end of the day, it earns me my money. Sure, I'm trained for much more, but in the meanwhile it is a case of making do. Job opportunities will arise again (I've not been actively looking anyways but many friends on my course have).

I think danny's idea of having people do community service in order to get their JSA is a great idea - it doesn't matter if you're content doing it or not, if you need the money you'll have no choice but to do it. If people think it's below them in any way then they need to get off their high horse, that or not be a hypocritical bastard for opting for JSA in the first place. I certainly feel that we all need to come together as a community more than we actually do - our towns would be all the better for it.

Its nice in theory but in practice...they'd have to be very careful about where they place people. The stereotypical "chav dole scrounger" probably would not go down well in Scope.

If there's no room, there's no room - unfortunately capitalism creates issues of space within our organisations.

Aye, that's something we could definitely talk about for houuurs and would probably even be worthy of another thread.

I'm stuck working in a shop, the work being far from the most desirable but at the end of the day, it earns me my money. Sure, I'm trained for much more, but in the meanwhile it is a case of making do. Job opportunities will arise again (I've not been actively looking anyways but many friends on my course have).

I think danny's idea of having people do community service in order to get their JSA is a great idea - it doesn't matter if you're content doing it or not, if you need the money you'll have no choice but to do it. If people think it's below them in any way then they need to get off their high horse, that or not be a hypocritical bastard for opting for JSA in the first place. I certainly feel that we all need to come together as a community more than we actually do - our towns would be all the better for it.

I'm not saying that the idea of community service is a bad idea at all. There are many good points, because there are so many people who just claim the money and don't even want to look for other work. Too many people are lazy, so the idea of them having to earn their JSA, that I think is a great idea.

The issue I have is that so many people are trained for particular jobs that could actually be really damn useful to have in this country. We're constantly being told that we need more teachers and more nurses, yet when the graduates or people who are qualified to do this are looking for work, they're told that "there's no room in the inn." Personally, I don't think that is good enough. I mean, these are people who actually have got off their arse to make something of their lives, or to make a positive difference in the world. That seems like an even bigger problem with them system, imo. It seems somewhat hypocritical to complain that "too many people have no ambition or drive in this country" yet turn other people away who do have this drive, when the country surely needs them? How can be encourage more people to do good things with their lives, especially younger people, if we simply end up turning them away?

That being said, I have no problem with people earning money or doing work for the community. There are some areas where I live that could really badly do with something more being done. Too many areas that need restoration, or links built between people. It could even prove good for many people who have no qualifications or experience of any other kinda work. They could possibly use this community work as a platform for something even more positive. That being said, if there is work that could be done, why aren't more people being employed to do that? Maybe it's down to tight budgets, who knows. More needs to be done there, because many places need this work.

Edit: Just noticed that this is entitled Pookiablo's Thread. A thread to yourself? Greedy bugger.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

n509970580_4570496_6843.jpg

Specifically said to the ass hole journalist it was a fucking Zune.

You know they changed it because 99% of the country who go. Zune WTF?!

You know they changed it because 99% of the country who go. Zune WTF?!

I just wanted him to put MP3 player.

PS its more like 99.9999%.

Its nice in theory but in practice...they'd have to be very careful about where they place people. The stereotypical "chav dole scrounger" probably would not go down well in Scope.

They could pick litter up off of the streets or parks. Or pick dog shit up. See how long it takes them to find a job then.

The government are paying them anyway they may as well get something from it.

You know what, I can't be bothered to argue, basically you can say what you like but unless you've been unemployed and in that situation then you don't really know what it's like.

This is gonna make me sound like a cunt but I don't care, basically I hope some you get laid off and have to experience the same thing, maybe then you can get off your high horse and actually understand how harrowing it can be...

Harrowing fucking harrowing are you having a laugh. I hardly think being unemployed while you live with your parents and clearly have nothing to really spend your JSA on can be described as harrowing. Unpleasent maybe harrowing not.

If you still think that harrowing is the correct word may i advise you to get some life experience.

Harrowing fucking harrowing are you having a laugh. I hardly think being unemployed while you live with your parents and clearly have nothing to really spend your JSA on can be described as harrowing. Unpleasent maybe harrowing not.

If you still think that harrowing is the correct word may i advise you to get some life experience.

Unless you've been in the same situation for a lengthy period then you can't fairly say that one persons experience isn't what they describe it as... you're in the armed forces right? that's somewhere I've never been and don't intend to be so you might have seen things that you would describe as 'harrowing' and I wouldn't have the right to tell you otherwise so the same applies in reverse...

One person's definition of harrowing is another persons idea of moderate inconvenience but to tell people otherwise without properly being in their shoes is just a tad ignorant.

They could pick litter up off of the streets or parks. Or pick dog shit up. See how long it takes them to find a job then.

The government are paying them anyway they may as well get something from it.

Yeah thats what I was trying to get at (in my own special way), it would be difficult to organise it all. Unless it was a simple case of those who have been made redundent after yeasr of employment help charity shops because they're more likely to be compassionate (although not always, my dad would be classed as one of those and I don't think he'd fit in too well in a retail environment) and everyone else gets other kind of work.

But then, the other kind of work being suggested sounds a lot like community service, so we're now putting our unemployed in the same category as our criminals.

–adjective

extremely disturbing or distressing; grievous: a harrowing experience.

After 5 months then I would definitely say it gets extremely distressing, you haven't been in that situation so, to be frank, you have no fucking clue.

I'm not saying the system us in anyway perfect, far from it, it's too easy to cheat at the moment as it is. The fact is though that £50 a week is what is deemed to be able to "live", define live... And cone back with pay rent and stuff because people who lay rent can get housing allowance on top of JSA. It's each persons money and as long as they are actually looking for a job then they can spend it however the hell they want, no one is gonna spend £50 a week just looking for a job, it's just not realistic.

Edit; this post actually makes me look retarded, but I'm on my phone so can't be bothered with the hassle of correcting the errors :heh:

Edited by Eddage

Yeah thats what I was trying to get at (in my own special way), it would be difficult to organise it all. Unless it was a simple case of those who have been made redundent after yeasr of employment help charity shops because they're more likely to be compassionate (although not always, my dad would be classed as one of those and I don't think he'd fit in too well in a retail environment) and everyone else gets other kind of work.

But then, the other kind of work being suggested sounds a lot like community service, so we're now putting our unemployed in the same category as our criminals.

Yeah but they spend a lot of time at the job centre. So I'm sure the job centre could have enough time to send a mini bus full of people once a day to a park or wherever. And as for the charity work, they could apply for that like a normal job, so then the charities would decide who works for them.

Also it may sound like community service, but a lot of people do that as there actual job anyway. So why should it be beneath the job seekers? Besides it's community service because it helps the community. Not because it's a punishment, even if many see it that way.

–adjective

extremely disturbing or distressing; grievous: a harrowing experience.

After 5 months then I would definitely say it gets extremely distressing, you haven't been in that situation so, to be frank, you have no fucking clue.

Firstly you have no idea what situations i have or have not been in.

Extremely disturbing? What sitting in his mam/dads house all day watching jeremy kyle, wanking, playing computer games i hardly think so. I dont doubt its unpleasent but its hardly harrowing.

If he lived on his own was going to have his house reposesed then yeah that would be different. Extreme distress would be something like watching a friend/relative die slowly of cancer. Or being in an accident where people were seriously hurt. Or being told your friend had been killed while trying to save peoples lives.

Someone said i might have seen things i havent really seen anything nothing i would say was harrowing. Ive been sat under a table eating my tea on more than one ocasion while people have been trying to drop ordanace on our heads but i wouldnt say that was harrowing more comical.

Like i say i dont doubt its not nice but its hardly harrowing.

There's probably a reason why those who find being unemployed harrowing don't have a job in the first place...

I agree with those who say they should do some sort of community service, it's ridiculous the requirements to get JSA - something like 4 applications a week. I still think that those who are entitled to claim it should, and they can spend it on whatever the hell they want.

Extremely disturbing? What sitting in his mam/dads house all day watching jeremy kyle, wanking, playing computer games i hardly think so. I dont doubt its unpleasent but its hardly harrowing.

Sod off, mate. I don't watch Jeremy Kyle. How dare you say that? It's Sky Sports News and Top Gear repeats on Dave for me.

Jeremy Kyle? Jeremy Clarkson, actually. :indeed:

Sod off, mate. I don't watch Jeremy Kyle. How dare you say that? It's Sky Sports News and Top Gear repeats on Dave for me.

Jeremy Kyle? Jeremy Clarkson, actually. :indeed:

Maybe you should start then. If im ever feeling low 10 mins of jezza and i feel a lot better about myself and my life lol. :p

well, to say job seakers was harrowing wouldent be quiet accurate, but the situation i was in, yeah, id say that was harrowing. 3 years of university, ready to start making money, only out of 100 applications, only one would have the courtesy to reject you in writing, the rest simply ignored you, like you didn't warrent a mail merged no thanks, that got pretty depressing. basicly, it made me feel hopeless and useless. despair. over the course of a year, yeah, it mounts up. so much so you think it might actualy be all you'l ever get, that the rest of your life will be spent in the dole, no better then the ugly fuckers who go in demanding their giro.

also, my only gripe about doing comunity service is that it would have an impact on actual job search itself.

also, my only gripe about doing comunity service is that it would have an impact on actual job search itself.

8 hours a week? I'd be surprised if that had an impact.

It woudnt not really. If the work was equal to the min wage it would be one day out of 7. I dont think that would really get in the way.

If anything, actually doing work once a week will snap people out of 'lax' mode that can settle in, when you don't do any work for a long period of time. That, and the work would be fairly crap and underpaid so that they'd want to find a real job.

I do like the idea of this one day a week thing, would've kept me a lot saner if it was available when I was on the dole and I would've definitely done it. Although it does bring problems in itself... don't all workers have to be insured in some way, if so who's gonna be paying for this? I can also see a major rise in work related "injuries", it's the perfect excuse for some of those who really have no intention of finding work to hurt themselves then not only get jobseekers, but disability allowance as well.

As long as such problems can be overcome then I think it's a good idea.

(but I still think that people who are currently on JSA should be able to spend it on whatever they like...)

:heh: