NEurope
Roostophe

Pookiablo's JSA Thread

The main reason why I bought an iPod is because I'm feeling wank about my unemployment status. So, I buy one to make myself feel better, but at the same time, I felt I have to admit to all you (and on another forum) that I bought it with my dole money.

Fuck, some of you know I'm on the dole already so somebody might have cooked up a storm about it even if I said nothing. But I said I bought it with my dole money anyway because I'm an honest bastard! Sometimes a little too honest!

I'm guessing some of you have never been on the dole so you probably don't really know what a really miserable experience it is.

Face it and be honest: If you were on the dole, you would NOT leave that money lying in your account doing nothing. You'd buy summat with it. Maybe something to make yourself feel a bit better because you feel a bit depressed about your situation.

Hopefully, for your sake, you won't ever be in that situation. Or if you ever do end up on the dole, you'll have more important things to spend that money on. So, please, just...y'know...shut up.

Ooh, Paj, I don't believe you've met my brother, have you?

To be honest, I don't care what you spend your money on, I'd probably spend it on the same thing. I just loved that everyone was calling you disgusting.

:heart:

I'm sorry, but telling people they can't spend their JSA money on anything other than basic necessities and getting a job is totally stupid. If you've ever taken out a student maintenance loan (yes, even you English-paid-tuition-fees Scots have them!), and you've ever spent it on something other than food, rent and course books (ie alcohol, if you're like every student I've ever met), then you're a god-damn hypocrite.

Oh, and Paj, I don't know if you intend to or not, but you're sounding like a self-righteous dick. As much as you have the right to be one (I'm one too), if you're coming across as one, especially through the relatively emotionless medium of forum text, then you're doing it wrong.

I'm sorry, but telling people they can't spend their JSA money on anything other than basic necessities and getting a job is totally stupid. If you've ever taken out a student maintenance loan (yes, even you English-paid-tuition-fees Scots have them!), and you've ever spent it on something other than food, rent and course books (ie alcohol, if you're like every student I've ever met), then you're a god-damn hypocrite.

Oh, and Paj, I don't know if you intend to or not, but you're sounding like a self-righteous dick. As much as you have the right to be one (I'm one too), if you're coming across as one, especially through the relatively emotionless medium of forum text, then you're doing it wrong.

"So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." ;)

Edited by Haden
Automerged Doublepost

"So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." ;)

lev24.jpg

It's a bit hard to spend the student loan on stuff like that when it's slightly less than accommodation costs.

Still, you need to look after your morale when you're on the dole. It can get mighty depressing. And it's hard to look for a job when you're depressed about it.

I don't know the Bjork reference' date=' I'm assuming it's an in-joke. Regardless, lighten the fuck up.[/quote']

Paj and chair constantly bummed Bjork. It got old fast. Everyone got annoyed.

Villan uses Bjork to take the piss out of Paj a lot. It got old fast. Chair got annoyed.

I used to buy a bottle of wine a week, and I worked :p I don't think I really 'got' the whole student thing.

Now lets all put it to rest eh and start celebrating capitalism again?

(although slight aside, it reminds me of the time my sibling finally gave me back some money and made a big deal out of it, until I reminded him he got it from the dole and I was a tax payer so essentially I gave him the money to give back to me)

Agreed, it's really not that big a deal... I was on the dole for a good few years and it is indeed a miserable experience; I'd use some of my JSA on 'getting a job' related stuff but the rest just went on games, not a huge amount, just the 'essential' ones at the time and I got a lot of enjoyment out of them because even after doing everything I could to get a job I was still left with a looooad of time and playing games made it that little bit easier for me, so I regret nothing... :heh:

Besides I'm now in a job, have been for the past half a decade or so and I've more than paid it back in tax so w/e... ::shrug:

Edited by Ashley
purchases snip

I think you'll find that it is stated somewhere that the money is intended to go towards social and cultural activities as well (they expect you to spend some money going out and enjoying yourself, as this IS a necessity to some/a reasonable extent). Personally, I always had to put mine towards rent and bills and very occasionally it would buy me the odd chinese takeaway. But I worked throughout the entirety of uni life as I'm not a lazy fuck like some and earned money. I'm expecting someone to now bang on about how some courses are more demanding and harder than others yada yada, boohoo - BA honours in languages at Bath (yes one of the best universities in the country - ooh, arrogant) where my life was consumed with study every bloody day and I managed it so save your sob stories.

Either way, the loan is intended to be paid back eventually and we all know the terms and conditions that go with student loans. I can see why Villan bought his ipod, we all need a pick-me-up from time to time, although perhaps he should have invested in something a little less expensive or just not told the masses, lol.

I was amused by the absurdity of everyone screaming and throwing bricks at him for not doing anything bad. There was no weight behind anything I said.

1. Can't say I ever have.

2. Whatever the students take out, they pay back. It's a loan. JSA isn't.

It's bleeding obvious that free money from the taxpayer shouldn't be spent on leisurely purchases. JSA is a privilege and hasn't existed for all that long...it is by no means a right. When people start getting comfortable and are able to buy things that they would with job money, see how quickly motivation to find a job can wane. Yes, a lot of people aren't happy just not working and on JSA, yet a lot in this country are (think scrounger chavs). JSA should really be there to just allow people to continue their living while they look for a job.

Assuming you eventually get a job though after a few years of claiming you're gonna be paying back tenfold whatever you claimed on JSA in tax so it balances out anyway it's not as bad as say the recent MP expense scandal... they've claimed money back for really absurd and more expensive stuff and they are allready in employment...

I spend my student loan money on things besides food and living costs, should I be judge too? After all thats still partially free money.

I'd rather him buy an ipod than spend it on alcohol and drugs <3

But anyway, I bought my weeks worth of shopping as I forgot my sainsburies card d'oh! £10.99

And how does an iPod help you seek a job?

it dosent, but if you think for a moment that being on job seekers is a pleasent expereience, your wrong.

Isn't £105 over two weeks worth?

it is exactly 2 weeks worth, last i knew

lol - that is actually disgusting. There should surely be systems in place to stop JSA being spent on non-essentials or things unrelated to helping you get a job.

if you ever get stuck on job seakers, you'l quickly learn that its depressing, and no matter how hard you try, how often you look, somtimes you just cant find a job. throwing money at it wont get you a job, why live a life without pleasure because the economy is fucked and youve bassicly entered the working age at the wrong time?

Does make me feel a little disappointed in the system too tbh...

im more disserpointed that lots of people like the villan are unable to get work

Exactly...survive. We all survived before iPods were made. ;)

if i hadent treated my self on my job seakers, id have almost certainly killed my self. the depression of getting up every day, knowing that your going to send off a load of applications to jobs that you don't want, or that your going to have to go to the job center and be treated just the same as the general dossers and lay abouts is possibly the most depressing thing in the world. belive it or not, doing nothing all day isn't as luxurious as it sounds.

I think I would do the same in the Villans position.

i totaly agree, you would, i did, most people would do the exact same thing.

the unemployment figures have gone to hell in a hand cart. hence im stuck doing a job that is, in all honesty and without any arrogance, far beneath what i'm capable of. i was stuck on the dole, for ten months, i spent most of my dole money on booze and video games. in essence, i spent your money (if you work) to feed this life style. i didn't like it, but then, the money is available, why should i live in self emposed poverty because a load of bankers gave laons to people who could never pay it back? the credit crunch wasnt my fault, being unemployed wasnt my fault, the depression i felt, it wasnt my fault. i'll admit now, i considered suicide at one point, if it wasnt for the fact that i could spend some money on little things to distract myself from my shitty life, i may well have gone through with it.

it dosent, but if you think for a moment that being on job seekers is a pleasent expereience, your wrong.

That's a bullshit argument, because the JSA could easily not exist.

It's like saying "If you think getting your inheritence fund is a pleasant experience, you're wrong".

Technically getting inheritence is awful if you actually loved the person you got it from..

Technically getting inheritence is awful if you actually loved the person you got it from..

That was paj's point.

Yeah it is... of course you can always say 'well it was their wish to give this money to me' but when it comes down to it if you had the choice you'd much rather they were alive again than to have the money. :(

I think people who claim JSA or any benefit due to be unemployed should do some kind of community service to earn it. I think JSA is £80 every 2 weeks (i could be wrong) Then make these people do tasks to improve the community picking up litter, or painting stuff. Or even work in charity shops if my figure is correct that means you get around £40 a week min wage is just over £5 (i think) so say they could do 8 hours (thats 1 day) a week. And one days work wouldnt stop people from gaining proper employment. Just an idea. I understand not everyone on JSA wants to be. But a lot of people have no intrest in gaining employment (i went to school with plenty of them) might as well get something from the money we as tax payers pay out.

it is exactly 2 weeks worth, last i knew

if you ever get stuck on job seakers, you'l quickly learn that its depressing, and no matter how hard you try, how often you look, somtimes you just cant find a job. throwing money at it wont get you a job, why live a life without pleasure because the economy is fucked and youve bassicly entered the working age at the wrong time?

im more disserpointed that lots of people like the villan are unable to get work

if i hadent treated my self on my job seakers, id have almost certainly killed my self. the depression of getting up every day, knowing that your going to send off a load of applications to jobs that you don't want, or that your going to have to go to the job center and be treated just the same as the general dossers and lay abouts is possibly the most depressing thing in the world. belive it or not, doing nothing all day isn't as luxurious as it sounds.

i totaly agree, you would, i did, most people would do the exact same thing.

the unemployment figures have gone to hell in a hand cart. hence im stuck doing a job that is, in all honesty and without any arrogance, far beneath what i'm capable of. i was stuck on the dole, for ten months, i spent most of my dole money on booze and video games. in essence, i spent your money (if you work) to feed this life style. i didn't like it, but then, the money is available, why should i live in self emposed poverty because a load of bankers gave laons to people who could never pay it back? the credit crunch wasnt my fault, being unemployed wasnt my fault, the depression i felt, it wasnt my fault. i'll admit now, i considered suicide at one point, if it wasnt for the fact that i could spend some money on little things to distract myself from my shitty life, i may well have gone through with it.

I dont understand why a lot of people are jumping on you, the JSA is to give you the insentive to look for work.

Its like saying people shouldnt be allowed to use it to pay their car insurance, or car payments like i do.

Those of you who are on JSA are, to a degree, luckier than some. As a student, I'm in the situation where I'm pretty much unemployable (can only do short-term), and yet don't qualify for JDA. According to the government, my student loan covers everything. According to the student loan company, im expected to work during the summer. During the summer, I have no way of getting income, and my student loan isnt but enough. Before you say 'get a job', there are about 4 going on my town, and they're all very insistent about 'not a summer job!'