NEurope

256pxbrutallegendcover.jpg

Release Date: 13th Oct

Brütal Legend is an action-adventure game under development by Double Fine Productions and to be published by Electronic Arts for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Though Brütal Legend was originally to be published by Vivendi Games prior to its merger with Activision, Activision had dropped the game from its portfolio after the merger. It was later picked up by Electronic Arts, though Activision and Double Fine brought counter-lawsuits against each other over publishing issues, but which have since been settled out of court.

Tim Schafer, the game's creative director, was inspired to create the game by his own past musical experiences. The game will feature the character of Eddie Riggs, voiced by Jack Black, a roadie who is accidentally transported to a fantasy world inspired by the artwork of heavy metal album covers. Eddie becomes the world's savior, leading the down-trodden humans against a range of supernatural overlords using a battle axe, his Flying V guitar infused with magical powers, and a customizable hot rod. In addition to Black, the game will feature voices of heavy metal musicians including Lemmy Kilmister, Rob Halford, Ozzy Osbourne and Lita Ford and other celebrities such as Tim Curry, as well as several metal songs selected by Schafer for inclusion in the game.

Plot

Brütal Legend follows the story of Eddie Riggs, who is the world's best roadie for the world's worst heavy metal band.The game begins one night before a gig. As Riggs is tuning a guitar, an accident happens and he starts to bleed. His blood drips onto his cursed belt buckle, which is really an amulet for Ormagöden, "The Fire Beast, Cremator of the Sky, and Destroyer of the Ancient World".

Ormagöden awakens and transports Eddie into a heavy metal and Nordic fantasy inspired alternate history where demons have enslaved humanity. Eddie comes to learn that the fantasy world was created by a race of ancient Titans that left numerous relics and instructions for the following generations behind for them to use to build upon, but neither humans nor demons could decipher their meanings. Only Eddie, due to his roadie skills, is able to make sense of their meanings and can put the Titans' wisdom to use.

Eddie escapes the Temple of Ormagöden where he first arrives in the world. Eddie meets Ophelia, a love interest likened to the same character from Shakespeare's Hamlet. Ophelia is soon severely injured and Riggs must climb a mystical mountain to do battle with a motorcycle-driving bass guitarist called the Kill Master (voiced by Motörhead's Lemmy Kilmister). Eddie soon meets Lita Halford and her younger brother, Lars, who help Eddie and Ophelia start a resistance movement against Lord Doviculus (voiced by Tim Curry), his glam metal minion, General Lionwhyte (voiced by Rob Halford) (whose hair is so luscious he uses it to fly) and their legions of demons to free the world.

Eddie will also encounter the local wildlife, including half-boar/half-motorcycle "Razorfires", a giant three-tongued lamprey, and giant chrome spiders that spin silk which can be made into magical bass strings.

After the first act of the game, Eddie will deal with a community of humans who willingly fight alongside the demons. They wear black and "drink from a sea of black tears. It gives them great power but also makes them look dead." These humans are parodies of Goth and Emo. These enemies include "Grave Diggers", "Brides" and "Reapers".

In the game's first trailer, a demon tells Eddie that his belt buckle is a mask "forged from the steel flesh of the fire beast", and that it was meant for "a god, [not for you. Not for...] a roadie". Eddie then snaps the demon's neck and charges into battle with the Headbangers to the tunes of Black Sabbath's "The Mob Rules". The trailer also shows that Eddie has the ability to sprout wings so he can fly. According to the Game Informer article, "his blood hides a dark secret and his wings are the proof".

Soundtrack (100+)

• 3 Inches of Blood - Deadly Sinners
  • 3 Inches of Blood - Destroy The Orcs
  • Accept - Fast As A Shark
  • Angel Witch - Angel Witch
  • Anthrax - Metal Thrashing Mad
  • Anvil - March of the Crabs
  • Anvil - Tag Team
  • Apostasy - Sulphur Injection
  • Bishop of Hexen - A Serpentine Grave
  • Bishop of Hexen - The Somber Grounds of Truth
  • Black Sabbath - Children of the Grave
  • Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe
  • Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
  • Brocas Helm - Cry of the Banshee
  • Brocas Helm - Drink the Blood of the Priest
  • Budgie - Breadfan
  • Budgie - Zoom Club
  • Candlemass - Witches
  • Carcass - No Love Lost
  • Cloven Hoof Nightstalker
  • Children of Bodom - Angels Don't Kill
  • Coroner - Skeleton on your Shoulder
  • Cradle of Filth - Her Ghost in the Fog
  • Crimson Glory - Queen of the Masquerade
  • Dark Fortress - Insomnia
  • Dark Tranquility - Cathode Ray Sunshine
  • Deathstars - Blitzkrieg
  • Def Leppard - Rock of Ages
  • Dethklok - Mermaider
  • Diamond Head - Am I Evil?
  • Dimmu Borgir - Progenies of the Great Apocalypse
  • Dokken - Mr. Scary
  • Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames
  • Emperor - Thus Spake The Nightspirit
  • Enslaved - Frost
  • Enslaved - Loke
  • Firehouse - Overnight Sensation
  • Girlschool - Bomber
  • Iced Earth - When the Night Falls
  • Iced Earth - Pure Evil
  • In Flames - Goliaths Disarm Their Davids
  • Judas Priest - Battle Hymn
  • Judas Priest - The Hellion/Electric Eye
  • Judas Priest - Leather Rebel
  • Judas Priest - One Shot At Glory
  • Judas Priest - Painkiller
  • Kabbage Boy - Girlfriend
  • KMFDM - Free Your Hate
  • KMFDM - Rip The System
  • King Diamond - Cremation
  • King Diamond - Welcome Home
  • Kiss - God of Thunder
  • Lita Ford - Betrayal
  • Marilyn Manson - Beautiful People
  • Manowar - Die For Metal
  • Manowar - The Dawn Of Battle
  • Mastodon - Crack the Skye
  • Mastodon - Oblivion Instrumental
  • Megadeath - High Speed Dirt
  • Megadeath - Tornado of Souls
  • Metal Church - Metal Church
  • Michael Schenker - Group Assault Attack
  • Ministry - Stigmata
  • Ministry - Thieves
  • Mirrorthrone - So Frail
  • Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
  • Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
  • Motley Crue - Live Wire
  • Motorhead - Back at the Funny Farm
  • Motorhead - In the Black
  • Motorhead - Marching Off to War
  • Motorhead - We Are the Road Crew
  • Nitro - Machine Gun Eddie
  • Omen - The Axeman
  • Ostrogoth - Queen of Desire
  • Overkill - World of Hurt
  • Ozzy Osbourne - Believer
  • Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley
  • Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
  • Prong - Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck
  • Quiet Riot - The Wild and the Young
  • Racer X - Technical Difficulties
  • Racer X - Y.R.O.
  • Ratt - Lay It Down
  • Riot - Road Racin
  • Riot - Narita
  • Riot - Swords and Tequila
  • Rob Zombie - Superbeast
  • Rotting Christ - Ad Notics
  • Running Wild - Riding the Storm
  • Sanctuary - Battle Angels
  • Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
  • Saxon - Wheels of Steel
  • Scorpions - Blackout
  • Scorpions - Holiday
  • Skeletonwitch - Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
  • Skid Row - Youth Gone Wild
  • Slayer - Metal Storm/Face The Slayer
  • Slough Feg - Warriors Dawn
  • Static-X - Love Dump
  • Tenacious D - Master Exploder
  • Tenacious D - The Metal
  • Testament - For The Glory Of
  • Testament - More Than Meets The Eye
  • Tvangeste - Birth of the Hero
  • UFO - Rock Bottom
  • Whitesnake - Still of the Night
  • Wrath of Killenstein - Ignisis Dance

I heared Activision was suing Tim Schafer for some reason. I wonder how this is going to turn out....

Lawsuit Over 'Brutal Legend' Is Over

Attorneys for gaming giant Activision notified a court Wednesday that they reached a settlement over the release of ''Brutal Legend,'' a video game starring Jack Black.

Activision had sued San Francisco-based developer Double Fine Productions to try to stop the October release of ''Brutal Legend'' by rival Electronic Arts. Activision claimed it still owned the rights to the game and that Double Fine failed to deliver it on time.

Double Fine countersued, claiming Activision terminated its agreement to release the heavy-metal inspired game after a failed attempt to make it part of the company's lucrative ''Guitar Hero'' franchise. Double Fine claimed Activision then moved to stop the release of ''Brutal Legend'' to try to protect ''Guitar Hero.''

''Brutal Legend'' features Black as band roadie transported to a mythical ancient world to fight evil.

Los Angeles Superior Court spokeswoman Vania Stuelp said attorneys for Activision notified the court of the settlement agreement with Double Fine. Attorneys for the companies did not immediately return calls seeking comment on Thursday.

A hearing on a proposed injunction scheduled for Thursday morning was canceled. Activision's attorneys were set to argue why the game shouldn't be released.

Superior Court Judge Craig Karlan told attorneys last week that he was inclined to deny Activision's request and allow the game to be released on time.

Electronic Arts has spent millions promoting the game, which has been featured on gaming Web sites and prominently displayed at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3.

After first hearing about this at e3 I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I really hope it manages to live up to my ever increasing expectations.

That soundtrack alone is absolutely incredible.

Edited by ThePigMarcher

I'm suprised that there wasn't a thread on this sooner tbh (unless there was one and I just didn't notice...)

Anyway, this game looks awesome! Plus it's Tim freaking Schafer! You know it's gonna be good! :grin:

I´ve been waiting for this game since it was announced.

Tim Schafer + Metal: Greatness!

So how's it gonna play? wander around adventuring for a bit and then every so often play a Guitar Hero style song to advance... I don't quite get it but it sounds potentially awesome.

Truth is, I have no interest in any of those tunes. I've probably heard about five in passing and couldn't name any of them by ear.

Somewhat besides the point though, one imagines.

So how's it gonna play? wander around adventuring for a bit and then every so often play a Guitar Hero style song to advance... I don't quite get it but it sounds potentially awesome.

not at all.

It's a free roam action rpg set in a fantasy world based on metal songs/ old school metal album art. These songs are just the OST like in a GTA game or something.

I thought it was more of a platformer than an RPG. Although I haven't really seen much of it, so I'm probably wrong.

Either way, it looks awesome. Can't wait.

Edit: This thread needs some vids yo:

Edited by Goafer

not at all.

It's a free roam action rpg set in a fantasy world based on metal songs/ old school metal album art. These songs are just the OST like in a GTA game or something.

Ah right, thanks for that :) it does sound interesting in that case but... the track-list, though I recognise some of the tracks, the majority of them I'm not actually that fussed about but being that it's just for the OST and not to play GH / RB style I can see how it would still work well with the nature of the game.

To comment on the setlist I must say it´s a pretty good metal list and by having Manowar this game just became 10 times more manly

Fuck yeah.

Would also like to note that Running Wild is a pirate themed metal band.

Amongst other games coming this year I am going to be a very poor man

The one problem is I don't think anyone knows how it's going to play. Some people are expecting a Ratchet & Clank type platform / combat hybrid, some are expecting a Fallout 3 type huge open world thing with one main quest and lots of side missions and others a hack and slash type affair. It's got a whole online mode too :/.

I've no doubt it'll rule though, it's Tim Schafer at the end of the day.

This seems like such a bad idea, everything about the game repulses me slightly.

It seems to be introduced as more of a movie in the trailers, relying on name dropping.

There's something about it that reminds me of an old game. I'm not quite sure what game though. Could be Psychonauts.

This seems like such a bad idea, everything about the game repulses me slightly.

It seems to be introduced as more of a movie in the trailers, relying on name dropping.

Repulses you?

That´s a bit of a strong word to use...

In what aspect does it repulse you and how is this a bad idea?

I can understand that it´s been shown more on the cutscenes then gameplay but anyone who is really interested can easily check the in-game footage.

Repulses you?

That´s a bit of a strong word to use...

In what aspect does it repulse you and how is this a bad idea?

I can understand that it´s been shown more on the cutscenes then gameplay but anyone who is really interested can easily check the in-game footage.

Repulses is a too strong of a word, but its the one closest to what i meant.

The whole idea seems silly, to me. Its like a game that was made for the sake of it, if you get what i mean.

Its like someone was given the spec:

-Rock

-Adventure

-Figting

-Music

Its a silly concept in my oppinion, and seems forced and cheesy to be a game which is taken seriously.

The whole idea seems silly, to me. Its like a game that was made for the sake of it, if you get what i mean.

-Rock

-Adventure

-Figting

-Music

Its a silly concept in my oppinion, and seems forced and cheesy to be a game which is taken seriously.

And has never been done before, which boggles my mind.

-Rock

-Adventure

-Figting

-Music

The game is cheesy and doesn't take it self as seriously.

The game is about a roadie called Eddie Riggs who finds himself stuck in a fantasy heavy metal world.

Eddie acquires three tools that are used for combat and transportation: a broad axe called "The Separator", his Flying V guitar "Clementine" from his own world which has the ability to cast magic spells in the heavy metal world, and a hot rod that Eddie builds called "The Deuce", a.k.a. "The Druid Plow".

Upgrades to these tools will be found about the world to give them new moves or abilities. These tools can be used in combination with each other to take out Eddie's foes; for example, the player can use Clementine to create pyrotechnics to launch a foe into the air and follow up by attack it with the Separator. In a case of a specific boss fight, the player must use the Deuce to lure the boss to a spot, and then play the "Earthshaker" song on Clementine to bring down weights.

Eddie cannot use the magic generated by Clementine constantly, as it will become too hot to play, and the player will have to wait for a cool-off period before using the guitar's power again.

There are reportedly about 23 main missions in the story with 30 side missions that the player can optionally take.

The player will also be able to find real metal songs, selected by Schafer for the game, that can be played on the Deuce's radio, "The Mouth of Metal" once collected, with the user able to add or remove songs that they wish to hear.

Look at the "20 mins gameplay video!"

The game is cheesy and doesn't take it self as seriously.

The game is about a roadie called Eddie Riggs who finds himself stuck in a fantasy heavy metal world.

Eddie acquires three tools that are used for combat and transportation: a broad axe called "The Separator", his Flying V guitar "Clementine" from his own world which has the ability to cast magic spells in the heavy metal world, and a hot rod that Eddie builds called "The Deuce", a.k.a. "The Druid Plow".

Upgrades to these tools will be found about the world to give them new moves or abilities. These tools can be used in combination with each other to take out Eddie's foes; for example, the player can use Clementine to create pyrotechnics to launch a foe into the air and follow up by attack it with the Separator. In a case of a specific boss fight, the player must use the Deuce to lure the boss to a spot, and then play the "Earthshaker" song on Clementine to bring down weights.

Eddie cannot use the magic generated by Clementine constantly, as it will become too hot to play, and the player will have to wait for a cool-off period before using the guitar's power again.

There are reportedly about 23 main missions in the story with 30 side missions that the player can optionally take.

The player will also be able to find real metal songs, selected by Schafer for the game, that can be played on the Deuce's radio, "The Mouth of Metal" once collected, with the user able to add or remove songs that they wish to hear.

Look at the "20 mins gameplay video!"

That reponse looks copied and pasted to me.

I watched the video, and it stil hasnt changed my mind.

The whole point of a game based on metal really was that it'd seem cliche and cheesy, I wouldn't expect otherwise...

-Rock

-Adventure

-Figting

-Music

That someone is Tim Schafer and he got the idea himself when he was making Full Throttle a long time ago and he started his own company so he could have more free reigns to make the games he wanted to make.

This game is supposed to be a homage to the metal music genre which obviously he is a big fan of.

Looking at Schafers track record you know that he makes quality games.

Also I would rather play a game that is made for the sake of making a game themed around a free-roaming metal inspired world rather then a game built around creating a financially successful franchise that can be exploited yearly for the sake of making a quick buck.

How much have you really read about this game?

Seriously?

Not one interview, video or preview have even hinted at this being a serious game.

Most of metal is cheesy, especially when you look at album covers in the 70´s and 80´s

This being a game focusing on being funny kind of proves that it is not a serious game.

The fact it has Jack Black voicing the main character should be enough to prove that this is not a serious game!

That someone is Tim Schafer and he got the idea himself when he was making Full Throttle a long time ago and he started his own company so he could have more free reigns to make the games he wanted to make.

The fact it has Jack Black voicing the main character should be enough to prove that this is not a serious game!

Full Throttle! That was the game it reminded me of. Not entirely sure why though.

Plus the fact that they seem to have Ozzy Ozzbourne as a mechanic also seems to imply it's not even remotely serious.