NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
gyroscopic

I'm picturing a motorbike game on the Revolution

you've got two controllers, which you hold horizontally like handlebars. the game could even ship with a fold out T frame stand to phsyically join them, but if you're interacting with the game, you should be able to just imagine they're physically connected

now, you steer like a motorbike. you lean to the side, tilting the controllers, pulling one hand towards you slightly and pushing the other one away. you can twist one of them forwards to change gear.

but this aint a normal racing game. you press A on the right hand controller, freeing that hand from the handlebars, so you can take out a .45 pistol in-game, aim it TimeCrisis style, and shoot up the other racers. or do a drive by.

---

and a Star Wars game. the control stick IS a lightsabre. you duel with Vader. you parry laser shots. then you can point at an object, lock on to it, then poltergeist it about the room (using the force) with your own hand movements. or the death star trench run, you switch of your targetting computer and the stick shakes when you're aiming at the weakpoint of the deathstar (that's the force helping you out, see).

---

or dual wielding in halo. two controllers again, right hand one works like a normal pc FPS set up, with d-pad and looking ability, and firing at the centre of the screen. the left hand one is your other gun, and it works like a TimeCrisis light-gun, shooting at anything, anywhere on the screen. now adept players can take on two opponents and headshot both of them at hte same time

---

nintendo's kiddie reputation is going to come in handy, cause people aint going to be tapping buttons any more, they're going to be aiming guns, swinging swords, and beating people to death, with their arms lol

Lol; the ideas keep getting more far fetched as time goes by....

I'm sorry, but i can't see the motorcycle game happening like that.

why not? once you feel the interface, in the game, it would be second nature. you could even have one hand dedicated to turning, the other to firing - you would just push your hand out for right turns, pull it in for left turns, tilt it to shift your weight like a real biker

m'eh; i think some of us have different ideas about how it will work; we'll just have to wait for the games to be shown to see if the revo interface is really that advanced.

from what i've heard, it has the technology so that they could do a demo where there's a virtual controller lying on the floor of a virtual room, and you pick up the controller in real life, and the virtual controller moves exactly the same way on the screen, except with no hands

the motorbike idea is pretty simple though. all you need is depth perception, which it has, and tilt perception, which the GBA already has, and the light gun idea which has been around for ages

i don't think people realize... because it's a big movement you're making, it's easier to control, same way a mouse is a bigger movement than a little analogue stick, and more accurate. it's going to work beautifully in any set up they want. and they can even have lots of "auto aim" type features so that you don't actually have to intercept a tennis ball EXACTLY, maybe not even at all, you just have to give the force and direction and angle for spin

well; we'll just have to wait and see. I'm not saying you're wrong, i'm just saying i'm not entirely convinced by the whole concept at the moment.

Sign in to follow this