NEurope

World of Illusion > All... seriously and that's coming from someone who loves Castle of Illusion as well. :)

Special mention also goes to Mickey Mania of course though but I felt that one relied more on gimmicks and the initial 'OMG!' factor, however the 'Steamboat Willie' level was genius. :D

Agreed without a doubt!

I'm sure someone has commented on this before but how does Warren Spector the man who worked on the likes of Wing Commander, Ultima, Thief and Deus Ex come to make such a game. Yes he signed the deal with Disney for games ages back but with them branching out to so many different areas (such as Marvel) I guess I never truly expected him to make something so entrenched in Disney history/lore.

Nope Flameboy.

The 21st century has seen little of Disney’s once-ubiquitous mouse, which is on the threshold of changing in some dramatic ways. Warren Spector has taken the reins of the classic character, and is targeting a new game for release on the most widely owned system of this hardware generation: the Wii. Disney Epic Mickey reveals a major new direction for the character, but one that is rooted in his earliest birth and history. “The irony is I think the best way to rejuvenate or revitalize the character, whether in a game or in a movie or anywhere else, is to return him to his roots,” Spector says. “Mickey used to be a character who about whom kids could say, ‘He’s acting out for me,’ and I think he could do that again.” For the full story on the new game, read this month’s issue of Game Informer, and then check back here after throughout the month for expanded articles, videos, interviews, and details on what might be the biggest and most ambitious third-party Wii game yet created.

Just about to post that myself. An absolutely excellent article!

Warren Spector:

"The irony is I think the best way to rejuvenate or revitalize the character, whether in a game or in a movie or anywhere else, is to return him to his roots."

It mentions the commonly ignored fact that Mickey originally had a much more mischievious character (just look at all the animal torture in Steamboat Willie!), but was gradually toned down into the 40s, and by the 50s he'd become a bland 'good-guy'. Donald was given his anger, goofy was given his innocence and Pluto became the embodiment of his loyalty. If they go back to his earlier, richer characterisation I'll jump for joy. Another thing to be pleased about is that they're going to reference the classic shorts 'Thru the Mirror' and 'Clock Cleaners' -both among his best. Also promises the return of the Mad Doctor! :)

Erm....this game is potentially....awesome.

If they emphasise more on the platform than the action.

Seriously, its a genuine bonified crime at how few 3D platform games there are. Mario just too intimidating?

Erm....this game is potentially....awesome.

If they emphasise more on the platform than the action.

Seriously, its a genuine bonified crime at how few 3D platform games there are. Mario just too intimidating?

The platforming games died down after FPS became the most important set piece in gaming in the late 90's.

Any day now, Game Informer subscribers will receive the November issue, which is filled with details about Epic Mickey, the Wii-exclusive game from Junction Point and Disney Interactive Studios. In the meantime, we’ve put together this short film for your enjoyment – a three-minute time-lapse video shortened from a half-hour of drawing by one of the character artists at Junction Point. As you watch Mickey come to life on the page, you’ll also get your first glimpse at a potential enemy in the game – one of the robotic Beetleworx. Keep your ears open as well to hear some of the great music from the upcoming game. For more Epic Mickey content, check out gameinformer.com/epicmickey Enjoy!

Video Footage.

Epic Mickey Music

User from another boards has noticed this:

1z2ljba.jpg

34eysro.jpg

I don't think he is Hades, but the logo of his shoulders tell me he is an enemy of the Tomorrowland zone.

And the body is a part of a car that resembles the type of cartoon car used in Mickey shorts/Roger Rabbit...

So this game is going to go by the theme park zones? Because that could be fantastic.

Hope to hear a creepy Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah version in the fontierland/critter country zone, with robotic Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear.

Edited by Dante

This game seriously has me excited now. Looks like they're doing a Brawl style slow reveal of details. Great music (reminds me a little of Danny Elfman), and YAY for the fact that Mickey is indeed returned to his original more abstract design!! Will be good if they get to record the score with a real orchestra later into development.

We knew the Parks would feature to an extent already from previous artwork with Epcot etc, but Tomorrowland would have so much potential.

Imagine this... With Mario, Link, Pikachu etc. Kingdom Hearts Wii!

Eh.. no thanks.

This is game by Warren Spector collaborating with Walt Disney Feature Animation and Pixar. Not Square-Enix makes a game with Disney characters in high tale confusing storyline.

Eh.. no thanks.

This is game by Warren Spector collaborating with Walt Disney Feature Animation and Pixar. Not Square-Enix makes a game with Disney characters in high tale confusing storyline.

Im talking Nintendo-Disney collabo, no Squenix.

Im talking Nintendo-Disney collabo, no Squenix.

OKay, sorry. I thought you mean adding Nintendo characters into Kingdom Hearts series for the Wii.

Hmmm, should I stop reading anything related to this game as of now?

I'm really tempted, because lately game developers spoil too much of the fun...

This seems to be moving in a very good direction, so I guess I will! :)

Imagine this... With Mario, Link, Pikachu etc. Kingdom Hearts Wii!
No way... don't want that sellout plumber dragging this game down!

No way... don't want that sellout plumber dragging this game down!

Wii Most Anticipated: 1. Mario Galaxy 2

Hmmm you seem to really anticipate that sellout plumber though.:p

Edited by Nolan

haha, yeah but there's a huge difference between a stand alone Mario game, and the games he's shoehorned into to sell titles.

This game is all about celebrating Mickey, incredibly stylised Disney themed worlds and hopefully beautiful 2D/cel-shaded animation. The last thing it needs is Nintendo characters imposing themselves in on the action!... that can be some other (Kingdom Hearts style) game.

haha, yeah but there's a huge difference between a stand alone Mario game, and the games he's shoehorned into to sell titles.

This game is all about celebrating Mickey, incredibly stylised Disney themed worlds and hopefully beautiful 2D/cel-shaded animation. The last thing it needs is Nintendo characters imposing themselves in on the action!... that can be some other (Kingdom Hearts style) game.

Perhaps if this game is a success we could see "Epic Mickey" in the next iteration of Smash Bros (if there is one that is)?

Why has no one mentioned this game to me before? I'm already shaking in my boots in anticipation.

Junction Point's Facebook has updated!

25zi9u9.jpg

124iufo.jpg

Edited by Dante

Considering I'm a big Disney fan, I'd never seen Steamboat Willie in full before. I love how it's so unlike cartoons now, a lot of animal cruelty in that, Minnie has tits, and Mickey starts playing music by squeezing a pigs lactatings nipples.

I'm stunned. I love how everything in that universe seems to be made from a rubberly substance and nothing is out of the realm of possibility.