NEurope

Agreed on Castle of Illusion being the pinnacle of Mickey platforming. The animation on Mickey, especially when he's 'still', and the music alone wins it for me :)

Just noticed the ghosts from 'Night on Bald Mountain' in Fantasia in the concept art. Chernobog would make an amazing boss!!

chernobog1.gif

Wow, they're bringing back the Phantom Blot? Awesome :grin:

I'm wondering if any other comic book characters will make an appearance (highly unlikely, I know)

Castle of Illusion is not the pinnacle of Mickey Mouse platforming. I believe that title falls to Mickey Mania. And if you haven't played it, I seriously suggest you do because it easily trumps all other MM games.

This is what's making me a bit skeptical over this. I realise it's probably going to be a 2d side scroller but the Megadrive Mickey Mouse games have been of such a high standard that this has a lot to live up too. I doubt it'll beat out Mickey Mania but if it can get close, then it's a success.

I've just remembered I've got Mickey Mania on PS1 dug away somewhere (although it was released here as Mickey's Wild Adventure). I have an incredible urge to play it again now. From what I remember, the style was superb, but man it was hard.

This looks very, VERY dark an edgy :D

I haven't seen any disney characters in a LONG, LOOOOOOOONG time (not a big fan of 'Kingdom Hearts') so meeting them once more in this orgasm of Venom would be most delightful:laughing: and I get to meet new characters as wel.

I've just remembered I've got Mickey Mania on PS1 dug away somewhere (although it was released here as Mickey's Wild Adventure). I have an incredible urge to play it again now. From what I remember, the style was superb, but man it was hard.

Oh yeah, I remember playing that one a bit. The first levels were insanely hard. From what I've heard, the rest of the game isn't any better.

My old-school Disney game of choice is still World of Illusion with Mickey and Donald :heart: That was superb.

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse was better than Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse.

World of Illusion > All... seriously and that's coming from someone who loves Castle of Illusion as well. :)

Special mention also goes to Mickey Mania of course though but I felt that one relied more on gimmicks and the initial 'OMG!' factor, however the 'Steamboat Willie' level was genius. :D

Graphically should be incredible- and super mario galaxy proves incredible cartoon graphics are possible

It humours me how there is now a fever that it "may not be a Wii exclusive", with 'investigative journalistic' reasoning being that the teaser page Meo alluded to no longer lists the platform as Wii.

However, what many have failed to grasp is that the page has not only taken down the Wii listing, but indeed all information that was up there, including the '1 Player action game' and 'Fall 2010' release. Instead, it seems most publications like to read into it all whatever they want and opt for the most sensationalist headlines.

It humours me how there is now a fever that it "may not be a Wii exclusive", with 'investigative journalistic' reasoning being that the teaser page Meo alluded to no longer lists the platform as Wii.

However, what many have failed to grasp is that the page has not only taken down the Wii listing, but indeed all information that was up there, including the '1 Player action game' and 'Fall 2010' release. Instead, it seems most publications like to read into it all whatever they want and opt for the most sensationalist headlines.

You visit Destructoid too?

You visit Destructoid too?

They plague my periphary when I browse NewsNow...

Actually, all the experience I have with Destructoid is that their commenting community is pretty dire. Maybe they're actually nice chaps...

1Up and other sites are reporting it now and user comments are jumping for enjoy.

Example -

Whenever I hear something is Wii exclusive, it falls off my radar immediately, so this is good news. I'm sorry, but the Wii is not capable of making anything visually appealing and waggle is useless garbage.

Great. They ruined the Phantom Blot.

I was all "YAY PHANTOM BLOT FTW" until I saw the concept art.... *sighs*

He (it? I can't tell anymore...) doesn't even have Walt's face! D:

I'd post the link, but I can't (x3). Not sure if I want to either, really.

You'll probably find it on the net quite easily, though, if you want to (and believe me, you probably don't).

...Thank Spacegoat it's said to be early concept art.

1Up and other sites are reporting it now

*sigh* Why do I bother?

It's a shame that such an insignificant thing has snowballed into this. It's a clear case of the wish being father of the thought on the part of 'journalists'. I'd also like to point out I had no knowledge of the update of my own article, nor do I think it's necessary.

Meh I don't give a damn... I'll buy it on whichever format manages to host the best version, though it'd be better as a ground-up Wii exclusive obv.

Castle of Illusion is not the pinnacle of Mickey Mouse platforming. I believe that title falls to Mickey Mania. And if you haven't played it, I seriously suggest you do because it easily trumps all other MM games.

It's a matter of taste I suppose, and what you expect of the character. Mickey Mania is a brilliant game, and out of all the Mickey platformers it clearly does the most. But for me Castle of Illusion has a kind of purity and charm. Kind of like the difference between the earlier, simpler Mickey design, with just black dots for the eyes, and the more Bugs-Bunnyised later version; there's a case for both. Also Mania was aptly named - it was crazy hard!

WHich was the SNES one where he was a fireman?

That was Mickey's Magical Quest. Another very solid game. Just goes to show the level of quality they managed to uphold in the 16-bit era (best not to mention the Megadrive Fantasia at this point ;)).

Whenever I hear something is Wii exclusive, it falls off my radar immediately, so this is good news. I'm sorry, but the Wii is not capable of making anything visually appealing and waggle is useless garbage.

This kind of stupidity makes me feel ill. As though hd and 'visually appealing' are synonymous. Perhaps it's understandable if you're the type of person who refuses to watch great films if they're on dvd instead of blu.. Still seems born out of prejudice to me. So far the Wii has shown that it excels when developers apply creative art styles, so it's a natural fit.

Edited by Lens of Truth

This problem with HD consoles is that we are suffering from an alternate bit wars sort of thing. I mean i haven't bought a Wii game in years since i just seem to spend money on 360 titles.

Ooh look

We were trying to save this nugget for when the magazine hits this coming Monday, but it seems the rumor mill has gotten out of control and it is time to put it in its place. Disney Epic Mickey is indeed a Wii Exclusive. If there is another version in the works out there for another system, we certainly aren't aware of it.

Now I think it's best if everybody just quietly wipes the egg from their faces and moves on.

So it's definitely 100% confirmed as a Wii exclusive? excellent, it'll be interesting to see how this project progresses and I really hope that it turns out to be a truly amazing title. :)

So it's definitely 100% confirmed as a Wii exclusive? excellent, it'll be interesting to see how this project progresses and I really hope that it turns out to be a truly amazing title. :)

It was already confirmed but site like 1up ignored this page but noticed the front page edits then carry on posting it as news and making ideas on how it would work on PS3.

1up did the same for TvsC after it was announced for the Wii.

Sigh at the comments at Joystiq. >_>

One of the commenters does make the valid point (not related the the ridiculous outcry at it being Wii exclusive) that he hopes the current name 'Epic Mickey' doesn't stick. I'd have to agree - it screams "we couldn't think what to call it so we gave it a brain-dead working-title".

This looks very interesting - it caught my eye on the main page and I'm liking the direction that Disney is taking, seems almost unreal that Disney would allow for its most important IP to be transformed in such a way. I await screens and gameplay footage with mucho anticipation.

One of the commenters does make the valid point (not related the the ridiculous outcry at it being Wii exclusive) that he hopes the current name 'Epic Mickey' doesn't stick. I'd have to agree - it screams "we couldn't think what to call it so we gave it a brain-dead working-title".

How about a title that harks back to the 'Golden Age' of gaming...

Universe Of Illusion