NEurope

Ok, I found some time yesterday to sit down and play some more of this.

I'm now at:

Mean Street.

Fucking lovely. Such a beautiful section of the game. I want to go to Disneyland naaaw.

I love this game. I think a lot of games commentators really got the wrong end of the stick with this one, expecting something approaching Mario Galaxy in gameplay. It's very different, being more adventurey and less about mental platform challenges (though it has it's moments). I think it's a very sweet game, and I loved spending Christmas with it. I said somewhere else that I think it's way closer to the old Castle of Illusion game (in a sense) than many give it credit for. I think you can tell the Disney suits got the team to rush the game for a Christmas release (what were all those pins for?), but it's still a lovely slice of Mickey.

I hope it gets a sequel.

I got stuck in these past two weekends and finished Epic Mickey off. I started this bad boy last December and don't think I touched it at all during 2011 until now. After the slow start I played through ten months ago, the game really became something great as it went on. I got the good ending. I played only used the thinner when it was absolutely necessary. :grin: There was one bad thing I did by accident - flatten that character with the dangling safe in OsTown. I felt pretty guilty and was tempted to reset the game in the hopes it hadn't auto-saved, but for some reason I just left it...

There are only two negatives I can think of: the pointer is a little bit janky (no idea why they weren't able to program it better ::shrug:) and secondly, you have to wrestle a fair bit with the camera - are Nintendo themselves the only people to have properly mastered camera positioning in 3D? Neither of these should be enough to deter anyone from the game because once you get tuned into the way both these aspects work, you're golden.

The way the game is laid out with all its quests is something quite unique for a platformer. By the end of the game, when you have to go to war against all the Bloticles, you feel a strange attachment to each of the areas that I don't think has come over in any other platformer. Actually, I think Epic Mickey might veer more on the adventure game side of the spectrum than any other platformer I've played has - as @K\-project above says. Here you're rescuing a world and its inhabitants rather than going through a series of stages, collecting Power Stars or whatever… and thats not to say theres not plenty to collect in EM, because believe me, there's an abundance of Pins and various trinkets. One point about the quests is that there was one that was necessary to progress the story that I had to Google the solution to. I'll spoiler it:

Getting flowers for Henrietta. There was a couple of quests to do in Ventureland but the others you accomplish within Ventureland. This one for Henrietta, you have to hightail it over to OsTown to pick some flowers. Seemed a little obtuse to me, in comparison to the other Ventureland quests you have to do for Smee.

As for the end of the game… longest. endgame. ever. Seriously, it took me ~15 hours to finish the game and no joke, three or maybe four of those hours at the end were the end game. Unbelievable. :laughing:

I'd wholeheartedly recommend Epic Mickey to anyone. No its not up to Mario Galaxy levels of greatness but its still a top game. It just gets better and more enjoyable the more time you spend getting acquainted with Mean Street and its adjoined worlds. Can't wait to see what Junction Point do with DuckTales on the Wii U.

Thanks for the impressions guys, sounds pretty good to me :) I'll have to see if I can get this cheap at some point, although I have pretty many games to complete already...

I think a lot of games commentators really got the wrong end of the stick with this one, expecting something approaching Mario Galaxy in gameplay. It's very different, being more adventurey and less about mental platform challenges (though it has it's moments).

Well that sounds even better! In the Galaxy games, I really missed the adventuring part, as there was really nothing but a series of obstacle courses :(

Well I just got Epic Mickey like 2 weeks ago. I'm at Tortooga with the Pirates and having a blast.

So far, this game reminds me more of those old Banjo-Kazooie games. Its not really a collec-a-thon like those games, though. At least it doesn't feel like one.

But there is def a vibe of being in a world full of stuff going on is there. The adventure part is there. The interesting characters. The dangerous enemies that can actually kill you. Platforms that you have to activate to get them going. All that good stuff.

The game is not perfect (the camera can be a biatch), but I really fell in love with it. I actually was playing it until the next day last weekend! Haven't done that for a while!

Sounds really good then :) Bound to get this game when I just find it cheap enough...

Well I just got Epic Mickey like 2 weeks ago. I'm at Tortooga with the Pirates and having a blast.

As you can read above, I finished Epic Mickey around the time you were buying it. Its always good to see someone else enjoying the game and it just gets better and better as it progresses.

I felt evil for catching those rabbits in Mean Street even though it was the good thing to do. :(

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Good to see someone new who plays Nintendo stuff. :hehe:

Sounds really good then :) Bound to get this game when I just find it cheap enough...

Come on dude, get with the program!

As you can read above, I finished Epic Mickey around the time you were buying it. Its always good to see someone else enjoying the game and it just gets better and better as it progresses.

I felt evil for catching those rabbits in Mean Street even though it was the good thing to do. :(

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Good to see someone new who plays Nintendo stuff. :hehe:

Thanks for the Welcome. But I was actually a member here long ago when this was a GameCube dedicated site (well, it covered Game Boy stuff too).

Anywhoo, about the rabbits... my niece is using one of the files from the game and when she got to that part where the bunnies are at, she totally refused to get those rabbits in jail.

Luckily, I figure out other ways for her to get those power orbs thingies that you need to hand over to the Gremlin. I haven't beaten the game yet, so I dunno if eventually it will be necessary to get all the bunnies in jail.

Anyway, like I said before Epic Mickey is a pretty good game. The only prob I had with it was the camera that sometimes gets in the way or doesn't let me see things properly. IMO, it doesn't seriously hurt the game. But I hope they fix that in the sequel I keep reading about.

I'm still playing it (been going through pretty slowly in between loads of other stuff) and loving it.

The part that blows my mind are the times when i go back to a previous area and characters talk about events/characters you've met later on. Expected them to still be in the exact same state you left them in after doing their quest etc, but they've asked about other characters, mentioned that they heard you did things in another area, etc.

Makes the game feel so much more believable, like the world's carrying on around you without constant interaction.

Thanks for the Welcome. But I was actually a member here long ago when this was a GameCube dedicated site (well, it covered Game Boy stuff too).

Your pseudo would have been extremely prophetic back then...!

Makes the game feel so much more believable, like the world's carrying on around you without constant interaction.

So true - the NPCs aren't like the normal dummies we're used to. Spector and co did a good job with them. :D

Sounds really good then Bound to get this game when I just find it cheap enough...

Come on dude, get with the program!

I've also been mildly interested in picking this up for a while. I've heard good things from people on boards who have played the game, and it would be great to play my first Mickey game since Castle of Illusion.

One question: Are there any multiplayer modes?

I'm glad you lot are discovering this one. I bloody love it.

Not sure about multi-player modes. I don't think there's anything multi-player about this game, sadly.

I've also been mildly interested in picking this up for a while. I've heard good things from people on boards who have played the game, and it would be great to play my first Mickey game since Castle of Illusion.

One question: Are there any multiplayer modes?

Come on Patch, now is the last point you should be considering extra games. You haven't even (*) finished Xenoblade yet and it is Zelda next week.

(* probably)

;)

Your pseudo would have been extremely prophetic back then...!

LOL No, obviously I was a member before using a different user name than now. I just forgot what it was or the password. It was quite a while ago. And I usually would only post on the news articles.

I think the missions in Epic Mickey are really good. In the sense that they are very imaginative what you need to do. There's a lot of variety.

And so far, I've been playing the game making almost every single enemy into a friend, instead of killing them. I did that with Pete in that boss level where everything is based on TRON.

I really like how things change or are affected when you do stuff like that. Like if you help someone, word goes around and another related character will help you back. That's very cool.

Come on Patch, now is the last point you should be considering extra games. You haven't even (*) finished Xenoblade yet and it is Zelda next week.

(* probably)

;)

If my back catalogue of unplayed games is wittled down to a pile less than a foot thick, I start to get restless. Help! What am I going to play in 12 months' time, dagnamit?

If my back catalogue of unplayed games is wittled down to a pile less than a foot thick, I start to get restless. Help! What am I going to play in 12 months' time, dagnamit?

Have you considered owning a 3DS?

Lots of good stuff available and coming our way next year too.

Have you considered owning a 3DS?

Lots of good stuff available and coming our way next year too.

Oh, I'm sure I won't run out of games, even a year from now. Between now and next Christmas, there will be lots to tempt me (Epic Mickey included, which I've just bought from Amazon for £11 btw), including as you say, lots of 3DS games.

I have a 3DS, but I'm grateful there aren't too many games out at the moment!

Between now and next Christmas, there will be lots to tempt me (Epic Mickey included, which I've just bought from Amazon for £11 btw), including as you say, lots of 3DS games.

Glad to see you took the plunge! You won't be disappointed - if you feel we've lead you astray to begin with, just give the game the benefit of the doubt for a wee while. It doesn't properly get into its stride until after you hit Mean Street. :)

Glad to see you took the plunge! You won't be disappointed - if you feel we've lead you astray to begin with, just give the game the benefit of the doubt for a wee while. It doesn't properly get into its stride until after you hit Mean Street. :)

Thanks for the info. I don't have high expectations of this game, but I'm easy to please when it comes to platformers so I expect I'll enjoy it. I'm also a little hyped at the thought of playing my first Mickey game since World of Illusion on the Megadrive.