NEurope

Because for Ubisoft to put out a playable game is an achievement in its own right.

I'd class AC Brotherhood as unplayable personally. Just because the first was so bad.

How come Wii games with mostly compliments and hardly any criticism can't get up to 9. But Assassin's Creed Brotherhood that got 80% criticism in the Gametrailers review gets a 9.

Well, "hardly any criticism" seems certainly not to be the case for Epic Mickey. This site had a lot of criticism. From the writing I'd say this is everything but biased and the criticism is probably justified. Just don't flare up now, the author of the Review commented on GoNintendo, saying that in their rating scale, this score means an above average game.

I'll see for myself when I come home tonight and find the time to give the game a good try.

Edited by Burny

So, reviews are coming on out. Sadly, they're quite underwhelming.

IGN - 8/10

Can a stellar story, fantastic characters, incredible cutscenes, and a solid core gameplay mechanic overcome numerous, fundamental problems with controls, the camera, and even continuity? In the end Warren Spector’s team has created a mightily impressive foundation. They’ve managed to get the toughest stuff right – it seemed almost impossible to make Mickey Mouse matter once again. They’ve even managed to take a nearly dormant character in Oswald and introduce him in a spectacular way, making him one of the most memorable video game characters of the year. And yet the “easier” stuff – finding a camera system that works, finding a control scheme that’s suitable – is flawed to the point where the larger experience becomes damaged.

Eurogamer aren't too happy either, judging from their score alone...

*Sigh*

Yeah...

Eurogamer - 6/10

A game with the breezy aesthetic and technical polish of Super Mario Galaxy, starring Mickey, Donald, Goofy and friends would do more to rekindle our affection for the mouse than this admirable but flawed attempt at forced reinvention.

PalGN - 6.5/10

It is never a bad game per se, but it’s also never a great game. It’s too unpolished, too unrefined, and too often seems like the Disney art and referencing of Disney material was prioritised above creating a truly engaging and interesting gameplay experience. For fans of Disney Epic Mickey will play on enough nostalgia to keep the game interesting from start to finish, but others will likely find it too clumsy and uninviting for their taste. Unless they really dig collecting things.

But in contrast...

GamesRadar - 9/10

For me, the surprises, historical reverence and inspired platforming creativity make this the Wii game of the year. Hopefully, it won’t all be lost on the broad audience it’s aiming for, because both Disney nuts and old school gamers will find Epic Mickey well worth their while. It’s a life-affirming tribute to both forgotten characters and game genres well worth remembering, with an all new added twist. And contrary to how it looks, there’s a startling amount of maturity and replayability wrapped within this family-friendly package.
Edited by LostOverThere

Goes on the rental list. Really disappointing.

I cancelled my preorder early in the week after reading Gafs impression of the game. I still want to play though but I may wait til I trade some 360 games in so I don't have to shell out for it.

I have been playing it, FUCK THE HATERS!!! This game is awesome, I haven't played a disney game this fun since Magical Quest on the SNES.

I have been playing it, FUCK THE HATERS!!! This game is awesome, I haven't played a disney game this fun since Magical Quest on the SNES.

Your opinion is worth more than any stuck-up game journalist any day.

Our tastes are the same on quite some levels.

I'll be playing it once I reel in my HDTV and hook my wii up to it with a component cable come Saturday.

I have a feeling it's going to look pretty smooth:)

Don't forget to say your prayers for Paper Mario 3DS every night now:bowdown:

8 isn't. Clunky camera etc. is.

I'd really have liked to play the game right now, but we missed the post, so I'll have to get it tomorrow or Saturday. :-/

I decided to get it for Xmas still. Reviews have been alright. 8s are still a good score and I think it still looks good from the videos I've seen.

I got my copy a bit early and after three hours with the game I can safely say this is one of my favourite Wii games EVER!! The reviews that mention bad controls and terrible camera work may be going over the top imo - I never found them distracting in the slightest and these are two things that usually wreck a game for me.

The animation on Mickey is superb and the worlds you explore are as vivd and unique as any i've played this generation. There are so many great little touches you'd think Nintendo had had a hand in its development. I have to say hats off to Spector and the team for doing Disney justice and proving my doubts to be completely wrong. It's a shame that reviewers haven't seemed to take to this as I have but hopefully the N-E faithful will be abit more discerning and give it a chance. I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

Gah, do I want this or Sonic Colours?

This. Sonic's had enough second chances.

Ashley. What.

Gah, do I want this or Sonic Colours?

But that's no reason to over look a genuinely good game though.

I watched the GT review and read the EG one and it does look interesting even if it does have a few issues.

Ashley. What.

This this and this. fuck sonic.

But that's no reason to over look a genuinely good game though.

No it's a very average game, it's just Sega's plan, they make so much shit with Sonic that Sonic fans and gamers have forgotten whats a good sonic game is and their standards have lowered so an average game is a very GOOD game. Sad but it's true.

Edited by killer kirby

No it's a very average game, it's just Sega's plan, they make so much shit with Sonic that Sonic fans and gamers have forgotten whats a good sonic game is and their standards have lowered so an average game is a very GOOD game. Sad but it's true.

Any chance we could save this discussion for the Sonic Colours thread instead of cluttering this one up - I'd like to get your thoughts on the title as the other forum members have only posted positive comments so far.

People who end up reviewing these games probably don't give a thorough play through like you guys will, and they have to mention any problems they encounter and reviews will focus on extremes because a review that's all just 'ok' isn't very interesting or helpful. So all the ok stuff gets left out, I imagine. I reckon it'll have its problems, but in the long run might be quite a favourite with the fans. Personally not appealing to me yet though, and with them reviews, probably won't til it's budget :p

People who end up reviewing these games probably don't give a thorough play through like you guys will, and they have to mention any problems they encounter and reviews will focus on extremes because a review that's all just 'ok' isn't very interesting or helpful. So all the ok stuff gets left out, I imagine. I reckon it'll have its problems, but in the long run might be quite a favourite with the fans. Personally not appealing to me yet though, and with them reviews, probably won't til it's budget :p

At the moment it seems to be splitting reviewers. Some are saying it's great while others are saying it's average. It does seem to be a marmite game.

I was reading some more impressions on Gaf last night and a few of them where saying the game feels like a platformer from the N64 era in that there are quite a few collectables. This is a positive thing to me as I loved platform games from back then.

When I was shopping this morning I see it on the shelf for £29.99 and I was so close to picking it up. I just don't know what to do...