NEurope
Wesley

Charity

Over the last few weeks this has been coming into some thought quite a bit for me. I don't give to charity or do any fund raising activity. None of my family (that I'm aware of) give to charity and when growing up it's never been something to really consider. I'm someone who'd give some money for a poppy and probably not even wear it... because that's something that everyone seemed to do at school. It always seemed the "done" thing.

And so now I'm older I've still not given to charity or anything, and have come up with quite a few reasons why.

I'm a student, I'm hard up.

I'm only young, I don't have that much money.

I don't have a job.

I'm really good with money (keeping track of it and not spending it on useless shit) - I then work out how much a standing order to a charity would cost a year and think of something it could be better spent on.

Our government should use more money from taxes for charity.

Charity doesn't work.

It's up to the countries themselves to work it.

These are all bullshit and, as you probably thought, they become more stupid as I go on. They're more desperate reasons. To save myself from guilt.

So I've decided I can give to charity, and there's no reason why I shouldn't. So... I will.

But the more I think about this the more confused I get. Who do I give money to? I thought I'd start off giving to a charity and then slowly increase to other causes. So who do I start off with? How am I supposed to decide? Do I go on cold-hard facts that seem to forget the true problems of the cause and the heart of the idea, or do I go on loosely based morals that I hold?

For example, people say charity starts a home... but I think that's bullshit. We live in one of the richest nations on the world. I'm not saying that charity shouldn't, or isn't needed, in this country. But surely the money would be better off in countries where life is unimaginably difficult. But then what about charities in the UK that are independent from location or government? There has been some new Cancer Research ads hitting TV that are pretty moving; surely not enough money could be thrown at something like that. But... then, am I thinking of that because of well put together adverts and the stories of few? But... if that is the case, then so what. Isn't charity about thinking of the person involved?

So if I do decide to give to a charity that operates in a poorer nation, then who? Where can you even start with countries in the African region? It's all so terrible and fucked up nothing I can do would ever be enough. Do I base my decision on how big the charity is (surely bigger charities are better set-up to properly make use of donations), or the single issue it may serve (that fact that so many people die just because of something like water is mind-numbing)... or... or... so I'm going in circles thinking about it.

So where do morals play in this? I used the "Check If Already Posted" button (as any good member would do :geek:) and I saw danny's thread about giving to the Help the Heroes charity. That wouldn't sit right with me. To give to money to hired killers? Wait, no, I'm only kidding. But in all seriousness, to give money to people who have been injured in a brutal war... yes, but, who then return to one of the worlds richest nations? ...this is the problem I ran into before with one of my "reasons", surely this is up to the government. But clearly governments don't do enough. And then this plays quite close to home for me, because I always wanted to join the armed forces.

Then that brings me to another point. A lot of people give to charity based on their own life... someone who was once homeless, who lost someone close to the big C, etc, etc. But I've been a stupidly lucky Bastard in that respect. I've never, thank the Lord, lost someone close, or been in a truly terrible situation. And any short-comings I've had through-out life, such as a brutal beating, bad family situations, etc; are nothing compared to the larger picture.

So I'm still left stuck still: thinking and not doing, feeling guilty for being a lucky fucker who hasn't had problems in my life and generally feeling sleepy (it's late, okay?). I'm not even sure what's driving this, maybe lately I've been thinking more about myself as a character and what my mark is on the world. All of a sudden I feel guilt for piracy, failing to put effort into things, being judgemental, snubbing those around me, being an awful Son, Brother, Uncle and Lover. Maybe I'm going insane. Maybe I'm in love with I Come to Shanghai. But mostly I think it's because it's coming up to my birthday, which I hate. It's a milestone to mark and I realise I've walked so little. Maybe I just need to finish off my large Cream Egg (I just need to add the fondant) and smash my own skull into it.

So anyway... this thread isn't about my situation, it's more of a discussion of how you feel about charity. I thought I'd kick it off with something better than, "So what do you think?" or... even worse, a poll for people to click and then ignore the point.

EDIT: I just pressed the post button and didn't realise it was so long. Maybe my longest post ever. If you've skipped over it and want to know the gist, then it's this: jump off a cliff.

I know how you feel about charity, and some of the reasons are things that I have thought about over the last few years.

Plus, there are so many out there. How do you know that the money you are putting aside is going to a good cause? How do you know that it's going to be used effectively, or will it really be used to make a difference? Do we only do it to clear our own conscience, so is there a hint of selfishness in this self-less act.

Over the past few years, I have given money to quite a few places. In the past, I have been a dead sucker for talking to charity workers on the street. The problem is, I am totally rubbish at saying no to people, or letting people down. So, quite often I have stopped to talk to people about the cause they are talking about, and have then given money.

I've given money to Cancer Research, and also to Save The Children. There have been a few others which have also received some funds from me, but then I had to stop these as things were really difficult, especially with me not having an income other than my student loan. They were good causes, and I did think that the money was going to good use, so I'd like to continue giving money to these charities and organisations again.

I read the entire thing, but don't feel like I can help you. I just wanted you to know it's been acknowledged. I keep thinking I should give to charity, but like you said, where do you start?!

I'm a big supporter of charity, if only as governments tend to give loans, not actually charitable money. If I had an income, I'd give more, but as as student I'm limited £2 a month to Amnesty International (anything to piss off Saudi Arabia!), and, when I qualify, I plan on volunteering for RedR. If I can't get a job within the next two weeks, I'm going to volunteer for my local Oxfam shop, out of both wanting to do something good and wanting to do something other than just play Empire Total War all day.

Edited by The fish

You want to hear about Charity? Let me tell you about Charity.

My mother died when I was 16 years old, I never knew my biological father, so I was orphaned. Six months later I was diagnosed with non-terminal testicular cancer. I was put on all sorts of experimental medication as I did not want any kind of radiation therapy.

Under the same consultant, there were 4 other men - men, mind you, we're talking 40's and 50's. Three of them were in their terminal stage. We made friends, not close friends, but we had a laugh everytime we met. Always talked about how it would never happen to us etc.

Every day I went there, I looked 3 men in the eye, and we all knew they were going to die. Have you ever done that?

At the time, I was fit, and it was around about marathon time. One of us- I don't know who, suggested a run for Imperial Cancer Research UK (now Cancer Research UK). It all pretty much snowballed from there.

We ended up with sponsorship to the tune of more than £60,000 from a little community that hardly ever heard about cancer. I mean, you see ads for breast cancer, and women have cervical smears every year, but cancer is something that happens to other people, and testicular cancer... what's that? Why talk about it?

So, we contacted ICR and they were overwhelmed, agreed to send a representative down when we completed the marathon and receive one of those "hilarious" novelty cheques from us. We did the run, got the money and down came Mr Man in his suit.

Families were there, friends were there, heck, I think even the mayor was there. It was a big event for that craphole. Up stands Mr Man, his nice suit on and hair fluttering in the breeze.

"This is a wonderful achievement, and will go far and helping us fund our research into breast cancer."

The next month, 3 men were dead. Memories nicely pissed on.

The reason that breast cancer research was the priority? "Everyone knows about it" was the response. Forget the silent killer, forget the unspeakable curse...

F*ck charity. Give your time, never waste your money, there's never a guarantee that it'll go where it's needed.

You want to hear about Charity? Let me tell you about Charity.

My mother died when I was 16 years old, I never knew my biological father, so I was orphaned. Six months later I was diagnosed with non-terminal testicular cancer. I was put on all sorts of experimental medication as I did not want any kind of radiation therapy.

Under the same consultant, there were 4 other men - men, mind you, we're talking 40's and 50's. Three of them were in their terminal stage. We made friends, not close friends, but we had a laugh everytime we met. Always talked about how it would never happen to us etc.

Every day I went there, I looked 3 men in the eye, and we all knew they were going to die. Have you ever done that?

At the time, I was fit, and it was around about marathon time. One of us- I don't know who, suggested a run for Imperial Cancer Research UK (now Cancer Research UK). It all pretty much snowballed from there.

We ended up with sponsorship to the tune of more than £60,000 from a little community that hardly ever heard about ca$ncer. I mean, you see ads for breast cancer, and women have cervical smears every year, but cancer is something that happens to other people, and testicular cancer... what's that? Why talk about it?

So, we contacted ICR and they were overwhelmed, agreed to send a representative down when we completed the marathon and receive one of those "hilarious" novelty cheques from us. We did the run, got the money and down came Mr Man in his suit.

Families were there, friends were there, heck, I think even the mayor was there. It was a big event for that craphole. Up stands Mr Man, his nice suit on and hair fluttering in the breeze.

"This is a wonderful achievement, and will go far and helping us fund our research into breast cancer."

The next month, 3 men were dead. Memories nicely pissed on.

The reason that breast cancer research was the priority? "Everyone knows about it" was the response. Forget the silent killer, forget the unspeakable curse...

F*ck charity. Give your time, never waste your money, there's never a guarantee that it'll go where it's needed.

Seriously, that isnt fair at all.

It didnt help testicular cancer at all.

EDIT: removed an accidental insult...

That was an sad story to hear, Iun, and I bet it wasn't easy to share because it must have been a harrowing time for you.

I guess that's one problem or danger with charities, you just never know where the money is going or what is going to be done with the money. How much of the money is actually being used on people who need it? You just don't know.

What are the ways around this? I guess being shown or told where the money has gone, and actually seeing it being put to good use. That's the only way I can think of right now.

That was an sad story to hear, Iun, and I bet it wasn't easy to share because it must have been a harrowing time for you.

I guess that's one problem or danger with charities, you just never know where the money is going or what is going to be done with the money. How much of the money is actually being used on people who need it? You just don't know.

What are the ways around this? I guess being shown or told where the money has gone, and actually seeing it being put to good use. That's the only way I can think of right now.

We poured money into Africa after Live Aid, and all we heard was "it wasn't enough".

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. What is true is that what was given was not taken care of.

We poured money into Africa after Live Aid, and all we heard was "it wasn't enough".

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. What is true is that what was given was not taken care of.

I do agree with that. Maybe it is to do with mis-management, and how its not being used in the right way. I'd like to be able to work for Oxfam or a charity that deals with helping people in Africa so I could actually see for myself how this money is used. I bet it would be an eye-opener one way or the other.

I give to help for heroes. But i hate the fact that i have to. The govenment should just have got there act together there shoudnt be a need for the charity to exist.

I occasionaly give to other charity. Always a bit suspicious about giving to charity which helf foreign countrys as i always picture some dictator spending it on himself, although i dont actually think that this is the case all the time. Just the fact it could be puts me off.

I used to give to breast cancer often, every spare change I had, every little bear you could buy, every little keyring.

Then I got kind of sick of it, yes it seems somewhat awful, but my mum is already well dead and buried and no amount of money I give is going to bring her back. Whats that you say? But you could help so many other men and women with breast cancer! I never see anything change, I just see more awareness rather than medical advancement.

So isntead I continue to give money to st.lukes in cheshire - winsford. The place you when you know you aren't going to make it, the place they make you feel comfortable, my dad told me my mum used to go there to make things out of clay and have friends she could talk to about it.

My step-nana also went there, they've given so much help to my family and I actually SEE the money my mum and I raise being used, its something like £2500 a DAY to keep that wonderful place open.

I recently learned that my dad helps out for help for hereos, something I never thought my dad would lean towards, but I think after his best friends son was over there he's been more towards helping the guys and girls which is awesome.

As for a suggestion, I always found unless you truly have a reason to give to charity, then your heart will never really been into it.

Don't worry about not giving to charity, there's other ways to help the world without the need to give money.

Even if you don't want to specifically help a charity, just doing good things for other people whether they be poor, sick, healthy, rich its worth doing. The world needs more nice people around!

I don't normally give to charity. However, I have been obliviously donating to Acorns Children's Hospice quite a bit over the last 12 months. :blank:

Charity doesn't have to come in monetary form. While looking for a job I've been working a few afternoons a week at the BHF shop in town and loving it. Everyone in there is mad as a button, I've never felt more at home. :D

Also, if you've got any crap lying around you don't want anymore feel free to drop it off at your nearest branch. We'll take just about anything you can't sell yourself. :heh:

Edited by gaggle64

I find giving to a charity that means something to you is a good start. I give to the following:

NSE - National Society for Epilepsy. A best mate of mine died from epilepsy, people with this condition need help. It is a killer and you'll be shocked how many it does kill in the UK. As friends we have organised various events to raise money for NSE which I think last time I checked we have reached the £3,000 mark.

Cancer Research UK - My uncle recently died after a 5 year battle with cancer. I also know a lot of other people who have suffered/still suffering with the desease. It's horrible and they need help in trying to find new ways to battle it. I intend on doing a few runs this year and next year and raising lots of money to help give hope to those with the desease.

British Heart Foundation - My dad died when I was 3 years old from a heart attack. I have to have regular check ups on my heart. I give money when ever I see these guys... I should really do more to be honest. It's a worthwhile charity. An unbelievable number of people are living with heart conditions that restrict them from having a normal life and heart attacks are a massive killer in the UK.

Help For Heroes - I have a long running history in my family of people serving in the armed forces. I currently have a mate serving in the army too. Injured service men and women need help as the Government take the piss. I give money and wear the wrist band with pride.

RNLI - I think this is a worthwile charity simply because without it we wouldn't have a lifeboat service and who else is gonna save you when you're stuck out at sea? :)

I would like to do a lot more with charties, but it's finding the time to do so. Giving money is the lazy easy way out. I prefer to do fund raisers and fun things. I think i'm defo gonna do some runs over the next few years with the view to maybe hitting up the marathon....*gulp*

I don't tend to give to other charties especially those in Africa who make me feel bad with the images of starving children like live aid/8. I haven't got all the money and time in the world and the money and time I do have I want to help Charities that mean something to me.

Edited by Platty

I just gave £1 to Cats Protection when I went to buy something off eBay. I feel warm and fuzzy inside, that £1 could help save a kitten's life.

I like giving to charity, but it's not something I pursue per se. If I stumble upon a worthy cause, I usually donate some money to it. Like Dyson, it makes me warm and fuzzy inside. :)

I don't mind giving to charity, what I don't like is when I decide to stop supporting that charity that they keep calling me to ask me to make a contribution again. Like that damn

HEART RESEARCH INSTITUTE

Edited by Ten10

I don't mind giving to charity, what I don't like is when I decide to stop supporting that charity that they stop calling me to ask me to make a contribution again. Like that damn

HEART RESEARCH INSTITUTE

Wait, I don't get it: You stop donating to a charity (which is fair), but you want them to keep asking you? :confused:

Well I purchase bracelets from Invisible Children, which is a charity that works to help children affected by war in Uganda (whether its they've lost family members, their homes or been forced to be soldiers). They also recently did marches in many of the worlds largest cities which I bullshitted excused out of but donated some money to the site. The bracelet is one of the few things I wear regularly, and I am wearing it at the moment.

Other than that when my income is not in the £0 approximation I intend to donate to an animal charity, probably RSPCA or Dog's Trust. I did once say to a charity pusher, when asked, trying to promote something to do with humans that I'd rather donate to animals. When she asked why I just said "dunno...prefer them?" But its personal, obviously others donating do help :) Share the love.

Wait, I don't get it: You stop donating to a charity (which is fair), but you want them to keep asking you? :confused:

Well I like to circulate whatever charity I support. But that particular charity just keeps phoning me up 24/7 keeping me on the phone for half an hour plus trying to get me to sign up with them again.

Well I like to circulate whatever charity I support. But that particular charity just keeps phoning me up 24/7 keeping me on the phone for half an hour plus trying to get me to sign up with them again.

So you DON'T want them to contact you? Because earlier it sounded like you DID want them to ccontact you.

This does makes more sense. :heh:

Interesting quotation about charity which I think makes a good deal of sense.

'Charity is a cold grey loveless thing. If a rich man wants to help the poor, he should pay his taxes gladly, not dole out money at a whim' - Clement Attlee, I think the best post WW2 PM we have had.

Giving to charity clearly isn't always that way and I don't think the quotation has aged so well, but I think there is something rather perceptive about it. A section from Stephen Fry in America with those rich Houstonians made me think of that when I saw it.

Personally I volunteered in a charity shop for about 7 months every wednesday of the week last year (Age concern) and am also a member of Amnesty. Though I wouldn't consider that a charity of such, more a movement.

I've done bits and bobs throughout my life. A lot of volunteering for charitable...things. I helped out as a "staff member" last summer during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, specifically at events in the festival of spirituality and peace, which fetures many events concerning poverty/troubles in foreign nations, and obviously the organisers didn't want to pay for helpers at events which are promoting peace/donating money and whatever.

Did a lot during Make Poverty History a few years back.

I don't buy a red poppy, I buy white ones. Still goes to charity though.

I don't buy a red poppy, I buy white ones. Still goes to charity though.

The Red Poppy money goes to help the veterans of wars and their families in some cases.

Where does the money from the White Poppies go to? Help the conscientious objectors and other cowards buy white flags?

I want an end to wars, hate and suffering, but I'm not going to disrespect the memories of people who died by screaming "not in my name" and marching on parliament.

I want to see the world's nuclear arms rendered useless by love, understanding and mutual respect. That's just not on the cards because that assumes that people are all loving, understandable and capable of respecting each other.

Until we evolve that far, I'll keep the armed forces, and anyone who doesn't want to have them can line up against the enemy and throw flowers.

Seriously Paj, I don't want to upset you or anything, but the White Poppy is like a smack in the teeth and a kick in the ribs when you're on the ground to us who have lost family members in wars and acts of terrorism.