NEurope
Dyson

Wii drive making 'grinding' noises"

Hey gang.

So, I'm not sure if this is a common problem or not, but my Wii has decided to make a very loud, and what sound like very unhealthy grinding noise when it tries to play certain games. Off the top of my head I know it does it with both SSB. Brawl and Wii Sports Resort, and if I recall correctly Super Mario Galaxy. I have since then installed the games on my Wii via USB Loader after hacking my Wii so as not to destroy the disc drive.

Unfortunately the problem is now becoming unavoidable and something needs to be done. I have a couple of questions;

1. Is this a fix that I can deal with myself or do I need to send it off?

2. If I need to send it off, will it cost anything for the repair?

3a. If I need to send it off, what will happen to my save data?

3b. And if they see I've got my Wii hacked via Twilight Hack (no modchips installed) is it possible they will refuse to repair it or take any other action?

Any help/answers you've got for me would be superb. Thanks people.

I'll let more experience users answer your other questions, but I do know that some people have been refused a repair due to having the Homebrew Channel installed on their systems.

They charged me $75 cnd to get my Wii repaired, and apparently that's a flat rate. I didn't have HBC installed at the time, so that wasn't a problem. Can't you just take the HBC off and put it back on once you get it back?

My Wii was suffering from the same problem a little while back, so I arranged a packaging label via Nintendo online, boxed it and sent it off. Came back in a week, worked like a charm and didn't cost me a penny. :D

Sorry, I'd post the link for the repair center, but I'm writing this on my Wii right now. :heh:

Perhaps look for local repair centres - guys who would put a new laser in your wii/sort the drive out. We have 2 Wii's in our house and one of them grinds like a bitch (a launch date Wii). There are a few local places near where I live who install mod chips/do repairs and are generally snide.

If not - you could send it to an online establishment who fix Wii disk drives. Although I'm sure it's around £60.

Mine has the same problem... It never seems to damage the disk, and I never really have problems with my Wii beyond a loud buzzing (that only started in December) when a disk is inserted, and that occasional grinding sound.

Have you tried the Wii lens cleaner? It could just as easily be a dirty lens causing the problems. I had all sorts of bother with my Wii - it would only load games sporadically, and would sometimes even crash mid game. I was convinced it was knackered. I bought the lens cleaner as a last resort before buying a new console and it honestly worked a little miracle on my Wii. It's been absolutely fine ever since.

Could be worth a shot.

First time I noticed it was when I got Fire Emblem last Easter. Sounded like the Wii was trying to eat the disc! :eek: It never did eat it or even damage it, but I've noticed it now and again with other games and it doesn't sound healthy. Like K-project says above, a lens cleaner could be worth a shot- for both of us.

Thanks, I've got an audio one lying around somewhere, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks, I've got an audio one lying around somewhere, I'll give it a shot.

Though I do hate hawking products, apparently the proper Nintendo one is much better than the usual audio CD lens cleaners. You have to insert it in a different way and wiggle it about to clean the lens. When I used it, I was really surprised to see so much muck on the pad. :o

One here on Play.com. I always default to Play.com! Sorry guys. I don't work for them. Honest...:grin:

Gaaah money I can't spend... :heh:

Thanks for the link though. I'll give the audio one a try and if it doesn't work I'll plump for the official kit. Much appreciated; have some Thanks.

They charged me $75 cnd to get my Wii repaired, and apparently that's a flat rate. I didn't have HBC installed at the time, so that wasn't a problem. Can't you just take the HBC off and put it back on once you get it back?

Even if you remove the channel they'll still know it was there, as it will still apear on your play log on the Wii's message board and you can't delete those

Even if you remove the channel they'll still know it was there, as it will still apear on your play log on the Wii's message board and you can't delete those

I don't think they check those. I had it installed at one point, but not when I sent it in, and they didn't seem to find it.

They'd have to be really determined to not spend money on repairing your Wii if they checked the Play History. :heh:

I might try that Lens Cleaner if I hear the grinding sound again, I don't want to have to send it in and lose my Smash/Mii data.

I don't want to have to send it in and lose my Smash/Mii data.

Forget about Smash but you can transfer your Mii's to your Wii remotes! :grin:

I'm concerned about losing all my high scores on Wii Sports Resort if they delete my Miis! :heh: The save data doesn't link if the Mii is copied to the Remote, does it?

I'm concerned about losing all my high scores on Wii Sports Resort if they delete my Miis! :heh: The save data doesn't link if the Mii is copied to the Remote, does it?

Likely not but atleast you could preserve your Mii's. :heh:

Likely not but atleast you could preserve your Mii's. :heh:

I dunno what I'd do without my Trevor McDonald :D

Mine has started to make a few noises but it doesnt effect how my game works.

Does it damage the disc? If not then I won't worry about it for now as the noise doesn't bother me.