NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

iPhone & Mobile Schemes

Would you like an automatic style changer dependent upon your browsing device?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like an automatic style changer dependent upon your browsing device?

• Yes, once 100% have auto-changer activated
    • No, let us choose individually
    • Other - please comment

As requested two new schemes are now available;

iPhone/iPod Touch

This is specifically designed for iPhones and iPod Touch users. Most of the graphics are turned off to make things quicker and smoother, as well as other little aspects.

As discussed a few days ago at present the BB Codes (eg [noparse][/noparse] etc) buttons are not working so they have been turned off. You can still obviously type them. I will try and fix this as soon as possible but most of you agreed it would be fine to launch it as is.

Mobile Phones

This scheme is completely text based, for those with limited bandwith or just don't want to see pics and whatever.

I have tested the iPhone scheme (as I have an iPod) and it seems fine with me, however I have no tested the mobile scheme (I ain't paying :p) so if any issues do crop up please let me know here. Same wtih the iPhone one of course.

There is also a poll attached to this thread. There exists a possibility for the forum to recognise whether you are browsing on a mobile or iPhone and automatically change if necessary. At present its turned off until the iPhone scheme is 100%. However, how would people feel about turning it on after? Presently you can choose in the style selector at the bottom, or in the case of the iPhone one a message does appear on the standard scheme at the top (looking into one for mobiles too). Let me know :)

Im confused with what you're trying to say RA :p

Why is it named as an iphone theme when its not specific to iphones (you dirty apple lover)?

loveyoureally

I'm testing the mobile version right now, 'tis pretty damn slick.

Have voted yes to auto-changer too, as my Xda IIi can't switch to the mobile scheme via the dropdown menu on the full version, (can click on the various options but nothing happens) had to type in the url to get it to change.

So yeah, automatic detection/switching would be cool.

*EDIT*

Spoiler reveals don't work for me, on either of the mobile schemes. Anyone else got that problem?

Edited by RedShell

I have an idea, but im not sure how easy it is to do.

Either allow users to enable or disable the auto option, or have a splah page which asks which they want the first time they visit on their phone.

Spoiler tags work for me using the iPhone theme on DSi.

Would it be possible to get rid of the left bar (username, Profile fields, Thanks, etc) and put the Username above each post? It seems like a waste of space on small screens, especially when a member has a long name without spaces.

And then could you make a version of the iPhone one with a width of 256px (I think it's the correct size) and call it "DSi Theme"?

Edited by Cube

or have a splah page which asks which they want the first time they visit on their phone.

Theres a message when you visit for the first time from an iphone that says you can switch, as long as you don't switch back it will remain anyway.

Spoiler tags work for me using the iPhone theme on DSi.

Would it be possible to get rid of the left bar (username, Profile fields, Thanks, etc) and put the Username above each post?

And then could you make a version of the iPhone one with a width of 256px (I think it's the correct size) and call it "DSi Theme"?

Umm k? I don't see why you're saying this? Did someone say spoiler tags dont for them?

I spent three days trying to get the iPhone one to have the postbit (what the side thing is called) on top but it just threw up new problems. It even resulted in my alcoholism issues :p

*EDIT*

Spoiler reveals don't work for me, on either of the mobile schemes. Anyone else got that problem?

It was redshell, but hes not using an iPhone.

I spent three days trying to get the iPhone one to have the postbit (what the side thing is called) on top but it just threw up new problems. It even resulted in my alcoholism issues :p

Ah, never mind then. CSS can be a real bitch at times.

I have a couple of suggestions after using it for a little while now.

1. Change the images for new posts/no new posts on the forum overview page (the one with all of the different forums) from this type of thing:

forum_old.gif

to the ones used on the regular NE scheme:

forum_new.gif

2. The go to last post and go to new post buttons:

firstnew.gif

Can they be replaced by something, nice, chunky and more easily pressable on ipod/iphone screen? Also the go to last post seems a little redundant, but we have that on the regular themes too, and I'm not sure how many people use that?

3. With a users post it doesn't show the time of the post. This adds a nice touch I think. The space is available and unused?

4. At the bottom of a thread there is no option to go back to the board the thread is on. There is a go to top of thread button and then a go back button, but come on, that's two presses and I want one (not the back button either)!

5. On my iPod in landscape mode (not sure about the other way round) there is some white space to the right that seems to be there for no reason?

In regards to the spoilers...it kinda makes sense. It doesn't seem to like buttons. Will look into it.

I have a couple of suggestions after using it for a little while now.

1. Change the images for new posts/no new posts on the forum overview page (the one with all of the different forums) from this type of thing:

forum_old.gif

to the ones used on the regular NE scheme:

forum_new.gif

2. The go to last post and go to new post buttons:

firstnew.gif

Can they be replaced by something, nice, chunky and more easily pressable on ipod/iphone screen? Also the go to last post seems a little redundant, but we have that on the regular themes too, and I'm not sure how many people use that?

3. With a users post it doesn't show the time of the post. This adds a nice touch I think. The space is available and unused?

4. At the bottom of a thread there is no option to go back to the board the thread is on. There is a go to top of thread button and then a go back button, but come on, that's two presses and I want one (not the back button either)!

5. On my iPod in landscape mode (not sure about the other way round) there is some white space to the right that seems to be there for no reason?

1. Don't think I tried? Again, scheme raped my brain over this.

2. As you say, I don't think last is necessary but I can make the > bigger.

3. Possible.

4. Presumably possible.

5. Its designed for portrait mode.

seems ok for me, although theres no easy way to get back to gen (for example) after reading a thread. Would be nice if the button was made bigger although thats not a massive problem for me!

Well when you post you're at the bottom, click "return to top" and then click back? (genuinely checking if thats how it works, not got mine near me). I'm sure something can be put at the bottom too, but I did put the return to top link for y'all :p.

Well when you post you're at the bottom, click "return to top" and then click back? (genuinely checking if thats how it works, not got mine near me). I'm sure something can be put at the bottom too, but I did put the return to top link for y'all :p.

That's how it works for me. But maaaaaan, two presses is double the effort of one press!

Is there a way to add a "mark as read" button?

*cough cough*

Just in case you missed it...

Had a brief look at it earlier. Seems good. My one complaint is that you can't tell which threads have new posts in them and which you are up to date on (like how it unboldens the thread title on regular schemes - there doesnt seem to be an equivalent on the iPhone one).

But if you press back it looks like you haven't read the thread.

Not back on your browser, back the forum button (at the top of every thread). It reloads the forum page.

Does my sig show here? This is an iPod post and it didn't show the other day.

Edited by Mr_Odwin

can I just ask a question if I set the theme to the iphone one on my nokia phone does it only change the settings for that device or when i log on my PC will I have to change the theme back to normal? It doesn't make much odds as the browser on the n900 works perfectly and just like a PC but I'm thinking of the bandwidth when I'm using 3G.

It should remember for each device.

I use the iPhone one on my Touch and the Mario one on my laptop without having to change them.

Would it be a pain to add a link to Youtube/GameTrailers/etc instead of the videos (or blank space as they currently are) in the mobile/iPhone themes?

Would it be possible? Perhaps. Would it be a pain? Remains to be seen. And shall remain to be seen until like...mid Feb which is when I am next free to really faff round with the boards (unless there is an easy method that I may later think of. Shall keep it bouncing in the back of my mind)

It might be possible using replacement variables. I will have a look into it.

Sign in to follow this